Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What's the process for compiling source 2006 .mdl's these days?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Dez

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Dez has no influence.
I'm trying to make minor edits to the default guns, such as the AR2, but I think I've got all my parameters in Crowbar wrong and it's creating useless .qc files that break everything. Really all I'm trying to do right now is decompile v_irifle.mdl, recompile it, and have it not be broken in-game. I can't really give you details on what's "wrong" with the model after I've recompiled it, because it is broken in a different way every time I recompile, without exaggeration. Some examples include the viewmodel not being visible when not animating, the viewmodel being rotated incorrectly, random parts of the viewmodel disappearing when animating, the hands not being visible, parts of the viewmodel being in the wrong place when animating, ect. I'd imagine that most of these issues can be fixed in the .qc, but for now I'm not decompiling/recompiling with the correct program/parameters/magic.

Should I be using crowbar to compile for source 2006? If so, what gameinfo.txt and studiomdl.exe should I be using?
If not crowbar, which programs, and how should I configure them gameinfo/studiomdl wise?

If someone could point me to an up-to-date tutorial I'd appreciate it. I've been looking for one for a while but I can't seem to find any working tutorials.

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: What's the process for compiling source 2006 .mdl's these days?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Try to decompile a different model, and see if it works. Some models will always break on decompile, no one has found a way to fix it.

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
Re: What's the process for compiling source 2006 .mdl's these days?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
This video covers basics of de/compiling models, and i belive it's still up to date : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAF8pSZvpo
DROP DATABASE bsnooch