Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SMOD: DEATHMATCH |||| INFORMATION, GAMEMODES AND UPDATES  (Read 15753 times)

Offline The Commander

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • The Commander has no influence.
SMOD: DEATHMATCH |||| INFORMATION, GAMEMODES AND UPDATES
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »

I am back from the dead to create more death.

What is this? This is SMOD: DEATHMATCH, an upcoming /!\ singleplayer /!\ modification that involves a moderate amount of death.

This modification of mine focuses on randomness. A randomly selected map with a random gametype with randomly placed entities. Will it be a deathmatch in Lockdown? A Zombie Survival in the snarkpit? It could be anything.

I have currently over 30 HL2:DM and HLS:DM maps which have AI Nodes placed by me, no converted nodes via nav_converttoainode from nav_generate as they are usually not good enough. Here are some examples of my nodes:

http://i.imgur.com/TnwOm.png

http://i.imgur.com/IzFHS.png

http://i.imgur.com/PXmbB.png

http://i.imgur.com/omIJ2.jpg

THE GAMEMODES

1. DEATHMATCH

A classic. It is you versus AI "players".  Everyone is fighting each other to try and reach either a random KILL LIMIT or just simply have the highest amount of kills by the end of a random TIME LIMIT. Kill, kill and kill.

Simple? Well the AI has a few perks. Each AI "player" has a random amount of health, a random weapon and a very small chance to spawn with some kind of special ability. They could be coloured red, which means they have a random GARGANTUAN amount of health. Perhaps they have a cloak, or maybe they are as fast as lightning.

When an AI Player dies, they respawn, with random health, a random weapon and... yes, you guessed it, a small chance to spawn with a special ability.

For each map, the minimum and maximum amount of "AI" players is defined, for even more randomness.

Each AI Player also has a random name and a random model and their kill count is tracked throughout the map.

During the Deathmatch, random action music will be played throughout the round.

2. TEAM DEATHMATCH

Another classic. Two random teams are fighting each other to reach either a random KILL LIMIT or just simply have the highest amount of kills by the end of a random TIME LIMIT.

The AI has the same perks as before, but this time you are fighting as a team, so don't get too trigger happy or you will end up aiding the hostile teams progress! Each enemy kill is worth one point. A team kill will give the other team a point.

During the Team-Deathmatch, random action music will be played throughout the round.

Each randomly selected team has unique models, the current teams are as follows:

Combine Soldiers
H.E.C.U
Combine Super Soldiers
Metropolice
Team Cubbage
Team Kleiner
Terrorists
Counter-Terrorists
Team Grigori
Flash
Black Operations
Men In Black
Classic HECU
Science Team
The G-Men
Team Barney
Robots

3. V.I.P

This game-mode is just like TEAM DEATHMATCH, but with a twist.

Like before, two random teams are fighting each other, but this time, each team has a VIP who shares the teams models, but with a pink colour to indicate that they are a VIP. As before, killing an enemy will score a point, but if you kill an enemy VIP then you have the chance to massively increase your teams score. The points to be gained from a VIP kill is random. A new VIP will spawn once the old one has been killed.

If your VIP dies then the enemy can also gain a lot of points, so be sure to protect your VIP as well!

During VIP, random action music will be played throughout the round.

4. Zombie Survival

You and other AI "players" are fighting against the undead and by the end of the TIME LIMIT, you must have a higher kill count than the zombies to eradicate the infection. If not, you are dead.

The zombie limit for the map is three times the random player count, so you can expect plenty of chaos.

All types of zombies are used, which includes the classic zombie, fast zombie, poison zombie, zombine and the special zombie2.

The zombie2 npc that spawns has a chance of being another zombie. What do I mean by this? Different zombie classes.

The first class that you are most likely to see is the not-that-fat zombie, that has a lot of health and unique model.

The second class is the bulk zombie. Its model is a reskin of the poison zombie and has slightly more health than the fat zombie.

The third class is the Super Zombine, a zombified combine super soldier. He is fast and has about half the health of the bulk zombie.

The fourth, the rarest class is the zombie assassin. Extremely fast and attacks rapidly. Very dangerous indeed.

Each of the Zombie2 classes hit hard, so watch your back!

During the Zombie Survival, random, more depressing music will be played throughout the round.

Random custom soundscapes will also be played, although they are not that audible.

5. Alien Invasion

It's the invasion! You and other AI players must fight against aliens and the possessed. By the end of the TIME LIMIT, you must have a higher score than the aliens in order postpone the invasion. If not, then it is The End.

You will be fighting against Panthereyes and Alien Grunts from Half-Life 1 along with some possessed mutants.

There are four types of Panthereye. Blue, Red, Orange and Green, in order of health and danger. They use the zombie2 class, which means they will strike hard.

The Alien Grunts use the combine ace class, which means they are always moving, jumping and causing much dismay! There are also four types of Alien Grunts.

The normal version, with a small amount of health.
The blue version, with slightly more health.
The green, cloaked version, with even more health.
and the Red version, with a huge amount of health.

The alien grunts use powerful weapons and if you get trapped in a corner by just one, then it is lights out for you.

Amongst this chaos you will be glad to kill some of the possessed mutants, who are hostile "um_citizens" with unique models. They use various weapons and are quite accurate, but do not have much health. When they die, they have a random chance to drop health or a battery, so to aid you against the tougher aliens.

During the Alien Invasion, random, more depressing music will be played throughout the round.

Originally, vortigaunts were going to be used instead of mutants, but it seems they like to crash the game a lot, so I removed them from the game-mode.

6. CAPTURE THE FLAG

Two flags and two random teams at a random side are trying to steal each others flag and bring it to their own base to reach a SCORE LIMIT or have a higher score than the others by the end of a TIME LIMIT.

Bringing the enemy flag back to your base is worth one point. If the enemy gets your flag back to their base, they get one point.

The AI has the same perks as before, minus lightning speed. AI will be able to take flags and by doing so, they will be coloured bright green. On death, AI flagholders will drop the flag, resulting in the flag automatically respawning at base. This is so you have more of a reason to protect friendly flagholders!

During CTF, random action music will be played throughout the round.

The CTF gamemode is interdependent on actual CTF maps, which means you will not be playing a CTF round on normal deathmatch maps. See the CTF map list within the MAP LIST topic.

7. HEADCRAB HUNTERS

The Black Mesa Science Team are trying to neutralise a headcrab infestation! In order to eradicate this infestation it will be necessary to have more kills than the headcrabs by the end of a TIME LIMIT.

The current maximum number of headcrabs in a map is four times the random player limit.

There are 4 types of headcrab. Normal, fast, poison and explosive.

If a member of the Black Mesa Science Team is killed by a headcrab they will turn into a gun-wielding headcrab zombie with random health. Be sure not to let this happen too often because the map will be overrun with zombies, making it much harder, as there is no limit to the amount of headcrab zombies in the map! Eliminate the zombies as quickly as you can. Doing so will also give you point.

FUTURE GAMEMODES

Goal, which is basically king of the hill, but with no hill. A randomly placed point to hold, that, over time, changes position.

Team Goal, team king of the hill.

Objective, blow up this, blow up that, defend this, capture that, kill him, etcetera.

Hide and Seek, maybe?

and probably some other game-modes as well.

New updates regarding the modification will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

See the MAP LIST for currently available maps within the modification.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:34:52 AM by The Commander »
YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES

Offline The Commander

Re: [WORK IN PROGRESS] ==== SMOD: DEATHMATCH ====
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
CREDITS

The credits are not fully complete at this moment.

Scripting: The Commander

Map Noding: The Commander

Model Fixing: Counter-Life™

New Weapons: Onemanshow, vertthrasher, Naomi, LEDHED, NovaRain, The Commander, HL2 CTF Team

Other: Valve, The Author, Missing Information, Opposing Force 2, FakeFactory, Global Warfare, HL2 CTF Team, Various Mappers

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:29:05 AM by The Commander »
YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:45 AM »
Looks very nice! The idea reminds me of my basic Deathmatch mode, but THAT is just stunning.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Oh, and before I forget, I will recompile these later, if no one does before me.

Offline The Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:58 AM »
I am glad you like it so far and thanks for going to recompile those models.

I have an update, a video has been uploaded! Thankfully my computer survived with FRAPS. It would of been longer but FRAPS slowed the game down too much at a point so I had to cut some clips out.

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The video shows off gameplay of the Team Deathmatch mode. More videos coming soon.

YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
I am glad you like it so far and thanks for going to recompile those models.

I have an update, a video has been uploaded! Thankfully my computer survived with FRAPS. It would of been longer but FRAPS slowed the game down too much at a point so I had to cut some clips out.

The video shows off gameplay of the Team Deathmatch mode. More videos coming soon.

Amazing!

EDIT: Models done!

http://www.mediafire.com/?axv5411l8888cr8
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:39:39 AM by Counter-Life™ »

Offline The Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
Thanks,  they work perfectly now and have been added to the random model selection. New teams using the models have also been created. You will be credited for fixing these models.

Soon, I am going to be editing my first two posts in this topic so everything is more organized. Perhaps I will even create a logo as well.
YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
looks cool. sounds like you are on your way to getting it released. good luck.

SMOD sorely needs more nodded maps :)

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
Thanks,  they work perfectly now and have been added to the random model selection. New teams using the models have also been created. You will be credited for fixing these models.

Soon, I am going to be editing my first two posts in this topic so everything is more organized. Perhaps I will even create a logo as well.

Ok nice.

Offline The Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:21 PM »
looks cool. sounds like you are on your way to getting it released. good luck.

Yes, not too much more to do now, just a few more features and maps and hopefully I can get it uploaded.

SMOD sorely needs more nodded maps

True, the release of this mod will definitely boost the amount of AI friendly maps by a huge amount.

I have now finished the logo, it did not take me too long. Have a look:

It is a larger version of the one in place at the top of the first post.

The first two posts have been edited and if any of you want to, you can request a map to be added in the random map selection that takes place at the end of each round. See the map list in the first post to check to see if your map is already done.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:02:08 PM by The Commander »
YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES

Offline F-3

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • F-3 has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
I have some nodemaps I made a while back, including some sizable maps. They're all yours if you think they'd be of any use.

http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=495.msg2240#msg2240

Offline alvaol62

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • alvaol62 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »
There is something important regarding mapadd generation, but this only  applies if you want it to be done through Auto-Nav generation.
If the map gives an error about no available walkable space, look at the floor and type nav_mark_walkable. Do the same at other spots around the map that should be walkable. Once done, type nav_generate_incremental and you will have it.

I hope this helps anybody, using this technique combined with manual refining can have some nice results. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:43:11 PM by alvaol62 »

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »
I have some nodemaps I made a while back, including some sizable maps. They're all yours if you think they'd be of any use.

http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=495.msg2240#msg2240

wow I really forgot all about that. Great share. +rep

There is something important regarding mapadd generation, but this only  applies if you want it to be done through Auto-Nav generation.
If the map gives an error about no available walkable space, look at the floor and type nav_mark_walkable. Do the same at other spots around the map that should be walkable. Once done, type nav_generate_incremental and you will have it.

I hope this helps anybody, using this technique combined with manual refining can have some nice results. :)

Nice tip. There should be a thread just about noding tips and tricks. It's not a subject often covered and its a real pain in the ass. I feel like these two posts may get buried again and forgotten :/

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »

Many thanks. I didnt knew this. Im sick of sittin' around 2 hours just for noding a map.

Offline The Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »
I have added a new feature, AI players can now have random grenades which includes the normal HE grenade, AMN14, Gravity grenade, molotov, nail grenade, sign grenade, cluster grenade, splash grenade and my custom MS bomb grenade.

Also with the new mix of grenades that NPCs use is this little grenade of mine, you may want to turn your volume down!:

YORE DEAD FREEMAN

WEVE GOT HAWSTILES