Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [BUG] A bug list  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
[BUG] A bug list
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »
Now to calm BSNOOCH down, I've decided to take the approach that Onemanshow suggested me.
As the review was sort of a buglist, I'm pretty sure some people will not take it as a buglist. And I'm pretty sure that's not the way it's supposed to be posted anyway.
Maybe these bugs were noticed before, but anyway, here it is.

- Can't switch NanoHEV modes for some reason. The controls are set to default. I do what it says on the NanoHEV controls file, but for some reason instead of switching modes, it switches weapons.
 - Can't use a different assault rifle (I believe it's named the FY71). I started from d1_canals_01 (route kanal), so I had the SCAR-L available. Seeing that you use the default HL2 approach (you can carry all of the weapons in the game without any limit), I would suggest that you bring back the default weapon selection menu. (since you can't drop weapons)
 - Noticeable smoothing errors in a lot of the viewmodels. Now some of you may not consider this as a bug, but I do, it's really irritating. I can guarantee 100% that the pistol and the SCAR have smoothing errors. I'd also like to interject for a moment here - I'd like to complain about the overall quality of some models (the pistol, in particular)
 - The NPC shooting sounds can't be heard from a distance. Now I know where the problem is - I think you used wrong code while specifying sound events. (CSS shooting sound code, it doesn't work at all in HL2). I might wrap up a hotfix, it doesn't take long to fix that tbh.
 - Color correction blur (may not be a bug, looks like one to me). I get this color correction blur that's written about in VDC, it says you get a one-pixel blur when you use the color correction entity. But from seeing everything, none of the maps actually use color correction.
 - The NanoHEV overlay doesn't scale properly on different resolutions. By looking at the overlay files, I see that you optimized it to work for widescreen monitor users (I think so). What I think you should do is you should ditch .vtf overlays completely, and code in the HUD elements. (this is hard to do, I'm pretty sure, but it's the only way to make sure it works for everybody)
 - The flashlight doesn't work or is non-existant. Maybe the replacement for that is night vision?

By looking at this list I just can't be anything but mad, and really, I just won't play the mod until this gets fixed, as it makes me that nervous. Or I might attempt to fix it myself.

P.S. The font that's being used in most of Crysis's HUD elements is called Agency FB. It's completely free to download, and I don't see a reason why you don't change most of the fonts to it. (as in it looks better than most of the fonts used in the mod) (i should really stop editing and should start thinking everything I want to say through) (another edit)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:35:03 PM by Antivirus_404 »

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
Re: [BUG] A bug list
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Most of them is already fixed:

- Noticeable smoothing errors in a lot of the viewmodels. Now some of you may not consider this as a bug, but I do, it's really irritating. I can guarantee 100% that the pistol and the SCAR have smoothing errors. I'd also like to interject for a moment here - I'd like to complain about the overall quality of some models (the pistol, in particular)
- Partially fixed, I'm in process of replacing and editing Viewmodels

- The NPC shooting sounds can't be heard from a distance. Now I know where the problem is - I think you used wrong code while specifying sound events. (CSS shooting sound code, it doesn't work at all in HL2). I might wrap up a hotfix, it doesn't take long to fix that tbh.
- Fixed

- Color correction blur (may not be a bug, looks like one to me). I get this color correction blur that's written about in VDC, it says you get a one-pixel blur when you use the color correction entity. But from seeing everything, none of the maps actually use color correction.
- Every single map in Crylife uses colorcorrection (check mapadd, and remove colorcorrection ent to see the difference)

- The NanoHEV overlay doesn't scale properly on different resolutions. By looking at the overlay files, I see that you optimized it to work for widescreen monitor users (I think so). What I think you should do is you should ditch .vtf overlays completely, and code in the HUD elements. (this is hard to do, I'm pretty sure, but it's the only way to make sure it works for everybody)
- And how do you do that in SMOD ?
I know that console and main menu windows use .tga (or .vtf) images for borders, but not for HUD (in HL2, ofc)

- The flashlight doesn't work or is non-existant. Maybe the replacement for that is night vision?
- I've added back flashlight because nightvision wasn't as good as it was supposed to be

- Can't switch NanoHEV modes for some reason. The controls are set to default. I do what it says on the NanoHEV controls file, but for some reason instead of switching modes, it switches weapons.
- That's an actual bug, IDK why this happens, for some users this works and for some not, I'm trying to fix it with every release/version

- Can't use a different assault rifle (I believe it's named the FY71). I started from d1_canals_01 (route kanal), so I had the SCAR-L available. Seeing that you use the default HL2 approach (you can carry all of the weapons in the game without any limit), I would suggest that you bring back the default weapon selection menu. (since you can't drop weapons)
- Press = on your keyboard or type in console "giveall" and then tell me that you can't use the second assault rifle (double tap 3 )
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »
Most of them is already fixed:
1)- Partially fixed, I'm in process of replacing and editing Viewmodels

2)- Fixed

3)- Every single map in Crylife uses colorcorrection (check mapadd, and remove colorcorrection ent to see the difference)

4)- And how do you do that in SMOD ?
I know that console and main menu windows use .tga (or .vtf) images for borders, but not for HUD (in HL2, ofc)

5)- I've added back flashlight because nightvision wasn't as good as it was supposed to be

6)- That's an actual bug, IDK why this happens, for some users this works and for some not, I'm trying to fix it with every release/version

7)- Press = on your keyboard or type in console "giveall" and then tell me that you can't use the second assault rifle (double tap 3 )

For the color correction, I'm not exactly so sure about that. Even if the maps do use color correction, I still can't see any difference (or maybe it could be my display settings, I forgot to realize that, should check with that) Just play around with it and think is it worth it or not, because I'd actually like to have a good vision on what's going on instead of having pretty effects.

For the overlays: I'm pretty sure you can't replace them all with something that's coded (I mean HudLayout.res and all that shit), but if you REALLY want for it to work, I'd suggest you open up the source code in Source SDK and start adding some shit. Unless you manage to do it some other way.

For the assault rifle: it actually works when I exec giveall, but it doesn't work when I don't. What's the problem here?

Oh, and I've noticed a weird bug: I can't seem to select any weapon except for the pistol when I load a saved game.

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
What's the problem here?
player gets the fy-71 rifle on  d1_canals_07 map (loading map by console won't work, you need to select the map by chapter menu or use giveall after map load)

I can't seem to select any weapon except for the pistol when I load a saved game.
On what map exacly? or is it global?

EDIT: hud backgroud "images" can be only changed by editing the source code
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:40:20 PM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Comrade

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
EDIT: hud backgroud "images" can be only changed by editing the source code

Then modify it.

If you just can't do it, consider rebuilding this mod on SMMOD, probably. Many more supported features and all.

Also, I think I got the FY-71 from a Combine soldier in d1_canals_01a... or 02.

Offline Pile_up

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pile_up has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »
Bugs i've found so far after playing today. And gotta admit great job so far. Looking awesome and the fact you're managing to pull this kind of thing off amazes me. Anyways. glitches.

AI:= After the beatdown from the combine in the beginning and waking up to see alyx, when she goes to the elevator. she just stands there. not moving at all.

Controls:= Quick kick doesn't work sadly.

Apart from those. nice job thus far. will update as i go.
And one because i have ammo left....

Offline Comrade

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
Bugs i've found so far after playing today. And gotta admit great job so far. Looking awesome and the fact you're managing to pull this kind of thing off amazes me. Anyways. glitches.

AI:= After the beatdown from the combine in the beginning and waking up to see alyx, when she goes to the elevator. she just stands there. not moving at all.

Controls:= Quick kick doesn't work sadly.

Apart from those. nice job thus far. will update as i go.
Sadly, I don't have these issues. You probably need to rebuild the node graph for d1_trainstation_04 in order for Alyx to work.
As for the quick kick, works flawlessly for me. You just have to hold V in order for it to damage something.

Offline Pile_up

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pile_up has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
I'll give that a bash then. Also barney's head is kinda stuck in his shoulders XD
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:08:06 PM by Pile_up »
And one because i have ammo left....