Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
collapse

Author Topic: SMMOD Development Status  (Read 9465 times)

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
Re: SMMOD Development Status
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Hello!

So is it possible to port the code to the newest source branch with all the goodies like cascaded shadow maps and proper multithreading? 2007 is pretty old, CS:GO version would be much better.

Valve doesn't publicly offer the source code of any engine version beyond Alien Swarm. Even if it was possible, it would make any backward-compatibility with HL2, CSS, etc difficult at best.
Which is sadly true, though I do plan to use Alien Swarm engine once someone makes a Half Life 2 port in assets and code. But until then... Source SDK 2013 is all what I can use for now.

Check out the Half-Life 2 Enhancement Mod over at Facepunch. They basically made HL2 work on the Alien Swarm engine.
No code released, so no SMMOD on the Swarm Engine yet.
._. I love coffee.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
Hello!

So is it possible to port the code to the newest source branch with all the goodies like cascaded shadow maps and proper multithreading? 2007 is pretty old, CS:GO version would be much better.

Valve doesn't publicly offer the source code of any engine version beyond Alien Swarm. Even if it was possible, it would make any backward-compatibility with HL2, CSS, etc difficult at best.
Which is sadly true, though I do plan to use Alien Swarm engine once someone makes a Half Life 2 port in assets and code. But until then... Source SDK 2013 is all what I can use for now.

Check out the Half-Life 2 Enhancement Mod over at Facepunch. They basically made HL2 work on the Alien Swarm engine.
You should ask them how they did it, it's not like they would do it... wait a second I think they did
But for some reason I think the link to the github page is hidden somewhere in the thread... No I will not look through it.

Offline sirmasters

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
Hello!

You should ask them how they did it, it's not like they would do it... wait a second I think they did
But for some reason I think the link to the github page is hidden somewhere in the thread... No I will not look through it.
.-. I think I might have found it. Reinstalling Alien Swarm to see if the found code works enough. If so, I will make a note to use the Swarm Engine. If not, I'll stick to the 2013 Branch.
EDIT: Nope, what I found does not work, seems to be missing a vital file. >_>
EDIT 2: Found it, I think, But it wont load any of the Hl2 Content properly...
EDIT 3: I'll just stick to 2013... .-.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:30:54 PM by sirmasters »
._. I love coffee.

Offline sirmasters

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »
Development Status: On Hold Until Jun 7th (End of School Year for me).
TODO:
  • Find Backup/Remake Code (.-. My code is messed up again when I last checked it, I blame github)
  • Make Custom Weapon (15%)
  • ADD RECOIL
  • Make Custom NPCS
  • Make Mapadd (30%)
  • Add Lua (Map-Add) and Python (Weapon Script)
  • Make Custom Explosives
  • Add Proper leaning
  • Figure out how to make RO style aim mode
  • Add documentation for everyone (-1%)
  • Bullet Time (Canceled due to possible complications)
  • Make .vpk add on system similar to L4D/Alien Swarm's (Did it! Kind of...)
SMMOD May use python for custom weapons. Lua is planned for Map-Add. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Adding_Python or https://github.com/Sandern/py-source-sdk-2013 is what I might use. I will credit Sandern (I consider him a awesome coder) if I do use the latter.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:01:35 AM by sirmasters »
._. I love coffee.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 01:12:51 PM »
SMMOD May use python for custom weapons. Lua is planned for Map-Add. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Adding_Python or https://github.com/Sandern/py-source-sdk-2013 is what I might use. I will credit Sandern (I consider him a awesome coder) if I do use the latter.

And what are the advantages of using Python, exactly?

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Why use python?
With python you can create a custom revolver for example, that has 6 different reloading animation, each corresponding how many bullets left in the chamber. You can create a m4a1 weapon that has 2 reloading animation and a non-dry reloading grants 31 ammo. Custom weapon system will be perfectly flexible.

But why python not LUA?
Sirmaster's got some fine tutorials & source codes to implement python to Source. And LUA?
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Embedding_Lua_in_the_Source_Engine
Sorry the tutorial is an orphan, meaning that few or no articles link to it. Meaning DIY.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:53:17 PM by gpgpgpgp »

* SMMOD Twitter