Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Using Half-Life 1 Weapons in SMOD?  (Read 682 times)

Offline matt71490

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • matt71490 has no influence.
Using Half-Life 1 Weapons in SMOD?
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »
For the past couple of hours I have been trying to get use Half-Life 1 weapon models in Smod, and I cannot seem to get it working. I tried using models/materials from Half-Life: Source, and it kind of works, but some parts of the weapons are just textured white and it looks really bad. I also tried using skins like this from css: http://gamebanana.com/skins/137172 but the did not show, and instead were replaced by a thin purple and black error texture over the screen. does anyone know how to do this? If so, I would appreciate your help. Thanks!

EDIT: HD models seem to work fine, but I much prefer the LD models. Weird.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:14:26 PM by matt71490 »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Using Half-Life 1 Weapons in SMOD?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
I think the reason why the CS:S skin isn't working is because it's probably compiled using OrangeBox tools. I used HL:S' MP5 model a whole while back and it worked fine. Could you post a screenshot of the "white" parts of the texture?

Offline matt71490

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
Okay, here you go:
http://imgur.com/s32aMot

As you can see, it appears on the upper portion of the gun, as well as on the hand.
I do believe that I copied over all materials from the HL1_pak_dir.vpk, so I'm pretty certain that isn't the issue.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the late reply as I was out of town the past week or so.

http://imgur.com/1E3n1I2
here's the shotgun's broken textures too, if it helps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:46:41 PM by matt71490 »

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
Strange, I did not encounter this issue back when I used the MP5 model. Check the .vmts and look for paths that may lead to missing files. I feel like some kind of texture that simulates the reflection effect is missing.

Offline matt71490

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »
So I checked the VMT's and it doesn't look like that's the problem. Maybe the reflection doesn't support newer source engines, but I tried it on a piped version of smod40a and it didnt work either. Plus, it works perfectly fine in the vanilla half life 2.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
You could try to ex- and then import the textures in VTFedit again, and see if that fixes the issue.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »
remove everything in the vmt except $basetexture

Offline matt71490

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
It took me a while, but unless I did something wrong (Which, admittedly, is very possible, I really only have intermediate knowledge of what I am doing here) It doesn't seem to want to work. I also noticed this same problem when loading up Garry's Mod fairly recently, with a mod that adds Half-Life 1 weapons to the game. This really got me confused, because I have never had this problem in gmod before. I'm going to try and verify my HLS game cache or search for other files I can try and use, but I doubt it will work as the vtf's work fine in base HL2 and HLS. If someone has a link to a working port of these weapons (Specifically, the MP5) I would highly appreciate it if you could post it here.