Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for answers in a vent  (Read 775 times)

Offline JJJaxx

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • JJJaxx has no influence.
Looking for answers in a vent
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »
Yo, BSnooch, what's shakin'? I recently found out that CSS sci fi is playable again thanks to SMOD standalone, and I've been picking it back up full force! The fix seems to have repaired almost everything...almost. In cs_assault there is a rather garish ventilation duct...

Has anyone found/made a fix for this? Does anyone have any inclination what could be wrong? It seems to be a universal problem with CSS Sci Fi on SMOD standalone, as a user making a steam help topic mentions that he is ' trying to find a way to fix it' but since that post was over a year ago, I doubt he has a patch out there. Am I wrong? Does someone know more than I do about this problem?

CSS Sci Fi is one of my favorite FPS experiences ever, so I'd love to fix the one last little flaw keeping it from perfection. :D

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Looking for answers in a vent
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
This is a thing since the SteamPipe update. I think a normal, detail map or something similar is responsible for this. I actually fixed this ages ago (so I doubt I still have the fixed file). Your best bet is to edit the responsible .vmt and look what textures are used and could be responsible for this, then replace them.

Offline JJJaxx

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:33:33 AM »
How would I go about discovering which textures are responsible? I'm not very high-level at SMod. Is there just a way to figure out what textures the map uses and then finding the specific one?

Sorry for twenty questions but I only understood about half of that.

EDIT: I've since acquired pakrat and have a list of all textures in the cs_assault bsp, but how am I supposed to know which is the right vent texture, save by guesswork?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:39:14 AM by JJJaxx »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
How would I go about discovering which textures are responsible? I'm not very high-level at SMod. Is there just a way to figure out what textures the map uses and then finding the specific one?

Sorry for twenty questions but I only understood about half of that.

EDIT: I've since acquired pakrat and have a list of all textures in the cs_assault bsp, but how am I supposed to know which is the right vent texture, save by guesswork?
I suppose you can use some kind of search function. Try to search for "metal" or "vent".

Offline JJJaxx

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
I'm at wit's end here. I've looked at the .bsp's contents, gone to my CSS .vpk and extracted literally any and all metal textures named in the .bsp contents, and replaced them to no avail. You said you fixed this before, any idea if the error a bad texture reference? A missing texture altogether? I'm losing my damned mind over this little vent.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »
From what I can remember, this problem is a detail overlay that was saved as a 7.4 .VTF file in some CSS update years ago, which is not compatible with older engine versions.

Before you load the map next time, type "developer 2" into the console and after you load the map, look for red text in the console. There should be a line saying something about a texture being missing or invalid and that will almost certainly be the problem texture.

Offline JJJaxx

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
Found the problem texture.

Grabbed a version of the texture and slotted it into the filepath, and nothing. Do I need to find a specific version of the file? Is there something wrong with the syntax above, and if so how would I go about changing it? Still in way over my head here.

(Also, holy shit, I'm talking to THE Onemanshow. Not to get too heavy on you or anything, but SMOD Redux was a needed escape during a particularly hard time in my life. Got me through some dark places. Want to thank you personally for crafting such a fun and varied experience out of the assets you had on hand. You might have saved my life, bro.)

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »
Found the problem texture.

Grabbed a version of the texture and slotted it into the filepath, and nothing. Do I need to find a specific version of the file? Is there something wrong with the syntax above, and if so how would I go about changing it? Still in way over my head here.

The issue isn't that the file is missing, but SMOD, using the 2006 Source engine, can't read it because Valve used new versions of their texture format when they released the Orange Box. It turns out the actual textures are from Half-Life 2 itself and not CSS like I had thought. They were probably introduced when CSS was updated to use the Orange Box engine years ago and Valve only bothered to apply detail maps to this one texture in the entire game. Figures.

In any case, I went ahead and converted all the detail maps to play nice with SMOD. Go get 'em. The folder paths are already took care of, just extract it into your smod/cssscifi/whatever folder. Should fix this problem and any other visual issues they could cause.

Offline JJJaxx

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
YOU ARE A GOD.

Thank you. Sincerely, with mad respect, I owe you a good deal of gratitude.