Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [RELEASE] SMOD REVOLUTION: Beta V 0.1 Tech Demo  (Read 4990 times)

Offline 009

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • 009 has no influence.
[RELEASE] SMOD REVOLUTION: Beta V 0.1 Tech Demo
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
 After a long and secret development process, I introduce to you this tech demo of my upcoming mod, Smod Revolution. As this is a tech demo, there isn't much to offer, however, I hope it will be enough to make you guys happy and eager for the next update  ;)

-DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LD7HSRN3

-FEATURE:

+Free Aim Ironsight + Aim Sway: Heavily inspired by the one in Smod: Insurgency created by OneManShow, weapon's ironsight now moves similar to Arma2 or Red Orchestra. Thus, they have now been added aim sway, making it harder to hit target afar. This feature was mainly coded via mapadd, making it alot more reliable than the pure cfg scripted one found in Smod: Insurgency, thus allowing ironsighting animations

VIDEO: Free aim ironsight test

+Magazine Style Reload System: Similar to those seen in realism based games such as Ghost Recon, weapons now have magazines, which will be thrown away unconditionally on reload. Remember to conserve ammo and watch your remaining magazine count.

+Body Armor System (experimental): This is the only feature that got scripted in LUA, while still in prototyping stage, it is still prefectly working and are fully implemented, although only on a small amount of enemies. The body armor system prevents pistol bullets from doing much damage to the NPC wearing it while still allowing rifle bullets to do full damage. However, it only protects certain regions of wearer. As such, it is best to fire at the legs at enemies wearing body armor to fully utilize pistol bullets

-TECH DEMO'S CONTENT:

3 weapons: At least 7 weapons will be added in later release. I haven't done with them due to balancing and model compatibility problems.
+ The APS Stechkin: Semi automatic, fast firing, it have a reasonably high damage but bullets can be stopped by body armor.
+The AKS74M: Automatic, have medium low damage but retains a fast firing rate and controllable recoil, can go through body armor.
+The TT-33 Tokarev: Semi automatic, horrible recoil but good damage, can go through body armor.

SCREEN: http://i.imgur.com/2lV7q.jpg

1 map: Press the New game button to access this map
+DM_Motel: First made it's appearance in Smod Tactical as a zombie survival map. However this time instead of zombies, CP officers has invaded this little home. The mission is to purge the combine. This map contains 11 hostile CP polices, one of which is their leader who wears body armor, beware of him.

-CREDITS:
==========================

AN_94 GP25

Model:
GSC Game World

Skin:
GSC Game World

Animations:
Valve, 3DStart(edit)

Sounds:
Valve

Compile:
3DStart

Flakk's Stechkin APSB

Model/Textures/UVs      Flakk
Animations            Jennifer!
Sounds               xLongWayHomex, Zak Belika
Compile               Markworth

GSC's Fort 12

Model:   GSC Game World
Texture:   Teh Snake
Sounds:   GSC Game World, Futon
Animations and Compile:   Ultimate Bastard

Millenia's AKS74MN

Model: Twinke Masta
Texture: Millenia, The Expert, !NC! Furious
Animations: Sick420, Mr.Brightside
Normals: Dr. Zoidberg
Phong: Dr. Zoidberg
Sounds: The Noid, Vunsunta
VGUI Menu pics: f8pc
Compile: Skladfin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:55:28 AM by 009 »

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
Re: [RELEASE] SMOD REVOLUTION: Beta V 0.1 Tech Demo
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
cool, will download and test it soon.

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »
Important: In this post, take all suggestions, opinions, and sentences containing the phrases 'in my personal opinion' with a grain of salt. Remember that you can't please everyone all the time, so you might as well please yourself first.  :o

Well here are my crits and stuff. They don't call me useful for nothing? I'm gonna keep it short because its late...

First of all, nice demo with the alien technology! Haven't seen anything like this in SMOD yet, you're really pioneering I would guess. The concepts are great, but rough. Of course I understand its beta and in early stages but I think if you continue to refine the features, it will be quite nice.

Free Aim Ironsights: Works great aside from a few minor visual things right now. Concept is definitely solid though. My only suggestion would be to make the ironsight sway more subtle. It's a little too intense right now for my personal taste.

Magazine Style Reload: Interesting concept! I liked it once I saw how it actually worked. Unfortunately it is very complicated and complicated stuff is easy to break. At first I was just completely baffled and everything seemed broken. Once I figured out what I was doing I still got random bugs. For instance, sometimes I would reload and get stuck on the magazine swapping weapon, forever doomed to fire one bullet and then reload, over and over until I switched weapons. I also glitched the system at one point into an autofire mode where weapons would continue to rapidly fire even though I wasn't pressing any inputs.

I hope you will keep working on it because it's a neat little system.

Body armor: Didn't really test, not sure how it works.

Release Notes: I would really, really, strongly recommend adding some kind of documentation for this. How should I switch weapons? Is the Fast weapon switch not a good idea? Are there any known bugs so I can avoid them? How do I give myself all the weapons (I couldn't find the Stechkin)?

Also, please, please, trim out all of the unused stuff!!!!!!! Can't stress this enough. I f you aint using it, doesn't need to be there (I'm looking at you tactical weapon scripts).

Lastly make an HPC version :D

Hopefully you find all this constructive. I look forward to seeing future iterations of this project. If you have any questions or run into any problems just drop a post and I will answer (if I know a solution, that is.) Good luck brother!

Offline 009

• 009 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
Many thanks for the great feedback Useful  :)

Well, it seems like this tech demo is a little too buggy. My appologies, I really kinda rushed the release because my motherboard was in the brink of dying lately, failling to POST several times and making the booting time really slow, meaning that it's going to compeletely dies sooner or later. However, getting it fixed isn't very possible right now due to the fact that it's the Lunar New Year in Vietnam right now and all the technicians are all off work.  :-\

In any case, about the ironsight sway, how much it is will depends on the mod's balancing. I really want the iron sway to diversified the usage of weaponry. So that for example you'll have a fast firing, low damaged weapon with very low sight sway weapon, that'll be both effective at long range and short range, and a high damage, slow firing weapon with very large sway, that while still be very effective at close and long ranges, would require more skill than the fast firing one.

Also, I'm suprise to hear those bugs you mentioned in the Magazine System, as I have designed the system to not have those problems as long as it's played correctly. By that I mean using the fast-auto switch, weapon hostle script I implemented (the one with the fake hostle animation) and don't get guns by any other means (like getting it via the console) except picking them up. Can you give me more insights about the bugs you are encountering? Like how did you replicate the bug and such. These needs to by fixed, fast.

To anything else you mentioned. Yeah, I need to make a readme of somekind, maybe I'll both include it in the download and copy-paste it here.

--How should I switch weapons?--

I'm not sure what sort of problem you are currently having with switching weapons, to switch weapons I just press the 1, 2 and 3 key, make sure to check the Control menu to see wether those keys are properly binded or not. Also I recommend you not to make any adjustments to the inventory system, as it is deeply tied to the Magazine System.

--(I couldn't find the Stechkin)--

It's around the pillar right next to were you spawn, check it

--How do I give myself all the weapons --
Unfortunately, you can't, due to how the magazine system are implemented, weapons wouldn't work correctly if spawned by console, i'll try to find a way to better implement the Magazine System to fix this problem.

--trim out all of the unused stuff!!!!!!!--
Ok, I'll do it when I optimize the mod

Also, these are the bugs that I have currently found:
-Weapon twitches when going to iron sight mode
-Weapons cannot be spawned properly via console
-Iron sights might sometimes became misaligned due to the free aim
-Possible reloading bug

If you, or anyone you have tried this found some bugs, please post it here. Thank you Useful, for enjoying my mod, and for it I give you a little secret. I'm planning to make this a free roam, FPS RPG, like Stalker or Fallout, but it will be based on the HL universe (or at least the Combine bit), and it will have a trading and possibly an inventory system, stay tune :D

Offline 009

• 009 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
Finally got my computer fixed, I can now get back to updating this.   :D

Offline Milton Fludgecow

• Milton Fludgecow has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »
link is dead megaupload is closed by the SOPA and is broken can any1 fix it id b happy is some1 sends me 1

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM

Offline Xamp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Xamp has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
Well i just found this and i hope this project isn't dead. It's really nice to see that there are still people who make there own variations of smod and it would be nice to see something like an update, a progress video, a screenshot or atleast a sign of live from the developer

On wall duty again

Offline Milton Fludgecow

• Milton Fludgecow has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
download - http://www.mediafire.com/?fwvciofno235806

there's 1 problem the kick is purple checkerboard

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
download - http://www.mediafire.com/?fwvciofno235806

there's 1 problem the kick is purple checkerboard

Its Version 0.1 and its a Demo.Dont expect it works 100%.