Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sky texture problem  (Read 2759 times)

Offline 0per4t0r

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • 0per4t0r has no influence.
    • My Youtube
Sky texture problem
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
Started ravenholm in smod40 today, and saw this:

Any idea what could be causing that?

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
Re: Sky texture problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
was it working fine before you encountered this problem?

have you changed any of the game files recently?

Offline 0per4t0r

• My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:25 AM »
It was working before, but I've been tweaking smod's console commands a bit. I don't think i've modified the files at all except for copying some smod materials to other games.

Offline IneptGuard

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • IneptGuard barely matters.IneptGuard barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Might be missing particle effects, in some cases dust puffs are used to create clouds or simulate rolling fog. I can't remember what maps might use this but it's a safe bet that you accidentally misplaced or deleted something while copying those files. 

Offline veteran_gamer

• veteran_gamer barely matters.veteran_gamer barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:36 AM »
check for any invalid paths within .vmt in your sourcemods\xxxxx\materials\skybox dir

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:30 AM »
if it just suddenly stopped working the gcf may have been corrupted.

in the steam client verify your hl2 (or sdk base) cache integrity

right click on game
-> properties
-> Local files
-> Verify integrity of game cache

Offline 0per4t0r

• My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
I verified the GCF, problem still there, but I think I know what might be causing the problem. A while ago, I didn't know about addcontents.txt, so I copied over all the CSS materials and models to make cs_office work  ::) and I also installed the smod redux gordon freeman playermodel.

EDIT: Alright, I deleted the materials and models I copied over and then re-copied only the materials and models from the default smod installation, and then copied over the gordon freeman model. I also un-commented everything from addcontents.txt, and launched all of the games mentioned in addcontents.txt before launching smod, but the problem is still present.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:32:47 PM by 0per4t0r »

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
i will check it out today.

Offline IneptGuard

• IneptGuard barely matters.IneptGuard barely matters.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
I guarantee you, these are particle effects.

Offline veteran_gamer

• veteran_gamer barely matters.veteran_gamer barely matters.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:48:18 AM »
it's a given fact that if running a map that uses the "updated particle" system (orange box/appid 415/20,whatever) that you're shit outta luck as far as getting it to Work Properly.  you are however still perfectly able to remove the particular anomaly via mapadd, and if you're a real gangster like mike tyson, remove t he entire particle effect/base entity via the override

am i sure this can be done - as sure as whore sweating in church (assuming smod2 still has the amazing override functionality as its predecessor, which allowed you to disable/vaporize nearly Every entity that is defined within hl2's source code)

but theres more

if you're into painful crusades such as myself, you may resolve a decent (decent enough to mention/suggest) amount of purple barney invalidation(s) by simply converting the texture format to the "old" header/version that SMOD recognizes...erm...that applies if you're using .40xx

a lot of outbreaks visual glory came from the "latest" sdk resource redistributables aka "itz incompatiblez".  yes, the older format (7.3/7.2 i forget) will perhaps suffer some color depth quality loss clearly noticable on a pixel-by-pixel inspection, shit like little green turds around "bright/light" colors etc (so watch your skyboxes)

however theres more, you can also work around this by (this has been called slave labor by my fellow douches) essentially applying "multiple passes" - indeed similar in methodology as encoding extremely high quality media with whatever codec you use (green tint on decals, anyone?)

you compress the french out of it at its lowest level, then unload it from your editor of choice, then re-open it - this time around you'll see some shit stains, remove them individually to the extend your tolerance for it permits, and again, and again.  by the 3rd pass you usually can get the equivalent of higher compression (human eye wouldnt notice or care if it did) at half the overall cost and further reduction to the video cards overall payload edited - this is assuming you dont need the alphas and is applicable to "simple/filler" textures in general

now, everything i said may not apply to your issue, may directly apply to it, lead you toward the direction of success...or possibly lead you to a shooting rampage at an orphanage.  regardless, if what i said made sense (blocks of text that have nothing to do with anything anyone ever asks or wanted to know), its a good knowledge-totem to carry with ya...sort of like a chicken's foot or a skunk's testicle

we'll get back to Payless Shoe Sto Budget Texture Compression when we return, and now a word from our sponsors (vagicel)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:51:50 AM by veteran_gamer »

Offline 0per4t0r

• My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Well, since I did not understand 60% of what vet just said, I decided to back up my configs and saves and reinstall the 40aq_fixed verison (the version i was using before was 40a, heavily patched.) It worked fine with default settings, so I copied over my autoexec, saves, sounds, and a bunch of onemanshow's addons, and it still worked fine. Copying over maps right now. Still not sure why the problem happened in the first place, though. Here's what it looks like now: http://steamcommunity.com/id/phillipjfry6/screenshot/596941725387725612?tab=public

EDIT: I un-commented everything in addcontents.txt, and a bunch of maps I don't want to see are showing up in the console. Is there any way to hide the maps I won't use?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:10:08 PM by 0per4t0r »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
Well, since I did not understand 60% of what vet just said, I decided to back up my configs and saves and reinstall the 40aq_fixed verison (the version i was using before was 40a, heavily patched.) It worked fine with default settings, so I copied over my autoexec, saves, sounds, and a bunch of onemanshow's addons, and it still worked fine. Copying over maps right now. Still not sure why the problem happened in the first place, though. Here's what it looks like now: http://steamcommunity.com/id/phillipjfry6/screenshot/596941725387725612?tab=public

EDIT: I un-commented everything in addcontents.txt, and a bunch of maps I don't want to see are showing up in the console. Is there any way to hide the maps I won't use?

Take a look into the Gameinfo.txt.There is a list of "hidden" maps!They wont show up in the game!