Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Interview with Underhell developer Mxthe, need questions...  (Read 6534 times)

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
Interview with Underhell developer Mxthe, need questions...
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »
Hey folks,

I need some questions for Mxthe, lead developer of upcomming mod Underhell. This would be your chance to ask all about his past and present work, stuff about Underhell, the modding platform he is developing, or whatever. I'm not sure how much he can answer but I will try to ask everything.

The interview will be sometime after the holidays. Stay tuned.

8)

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill barely matters.FreeKill barely matters.
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Interview with Underhell developer Mxthe, need questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 04:15:17 AM »
"So, What happened to SMOD: Troopers?"

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
"Will you include customization features like in SMOD, custom weapons, enabling/disabling features?"

Offline Monkatraz

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
Some of these questions have been answered on their forums, come on guys.
MLG

Offline Lemonificent

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Lemonificent has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
"What is the weapon loadout?"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:07:53 AM by Nickslayer13 »

Offline Dez

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Dez has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:17 PM »
How he's been dealing with the challenges associated with making complex SMOD minimods?

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
How he's been dealing with the challenges associated with making complex SMOD minimods?

He's got his own coder now... So he's doing well.
._. I love coffee.

Offline Dez

• Dez has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
I heard that he worked with The Author a little while making underhell? You should ask him about it.

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
anything else? Last chance. I will be putting this together soon.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
Ok last question: "Will you be able to play the original Half-Life 2/EP1 and EP2 campaigns in Underhell?"

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:41 AM »
good question CL hope that's gets answered asap.

mine is a request if ever this gets there...
if he still in contact with him, request for smod and smod2 source codes if the author wont work at it anymore.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:55:50 AM by IronCore »
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!

Offline Mxthe

• Mxthe has no influence.
    • Mxthe's Portfolio Website
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »

With the famous Valve update that broke most SMOD Mods, this one wasn't spared.
Although there might still be a way to make it run, the online functions that used to be there, aren't anymore.
Smod Troopers as it is cannot continue to exist, but the design behind it is an idea I am very keen to work on in the future, just under a different support.

"Will you include customization features like in SMOD, custom weapons, enabling/disabling features?"

We are not focusing on Custom Weapons at the time, but we do have a pretty decent arsenal, that we will keep growing over the next chapters.
As for most features, they can indeed be disabled.
But as SMOD was "user friendly", Underhell is "Developer Friendly", a lot of the features were designed to be played around with Inputs fired from the level, directly to the player or the concerned entities.
Things like enabling kick, bullet time, giving night vision to the player, or enabling/disabling the inventory, are managed by player inputs, that will be revealed in due times, in the Tutorials Section of ModDB over at http://www.moddb.com/mods/underhell/tutorials

Right now we have:
  • 5 unique melee weapons (different animations/speed/damage/stamina required)
  • 4 HandGuns
  • 4 Shotguns
  • 3 Smgs
  • 2 Rifles
  • 1 Custom Crossbow
  • A few surprises

All the HL2 weapons remained untouched and co-exist on the side.

Underhell was originally designed with the idea that "I have to be able to make this on my own, using SMOD"
Hoping that, after Prologue would be released, it would gain popularity and attract people willing to help.
And so it did, and I met Carlos "Charly" Sotelo, who is now the programmer for Underhell.

Therefore the Challenges only applied for the Prologue, where I was limited by SMOD's features, that said the Prologue being the less demanding chapter of the game, feature wise, was very easy to find a good use for some of the best features of SMOD.

I am very familiar with every aspect of SMOD, so familiar in fact that I don't believe anyone can teach me anything I don't already know about it, once I had seen all it could offer, I started to look beyond, and luckily, Charly arrived and we got to work.
We made the code for Underhell from the Source SDK Base 2007 template, meaning no specific Source Game is required to play, any of them will do.

I heard that he worked with The Author a little while making underhell? You should ask him about it.

I did not work with "The Author" directly, what I did, like many others, is request specific features for the Mod, that would help the development of Underhell.
Without directly answering to me, the features were added in the next versions of SMOD, as you can see from my suggestions post on the official forums:
http://accept.hopto.org/smod/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=83f3b1fe093c2b7cf9d30dc3bff109fa

Some of the features I suggested and were implemented are:
  • Flashlight consuming battery
  • Precaching Models from scripts
  • Color corrections fix
  • Visor Effects flexible duration
  • "Nail Grenade" (grenade firing crossbow bolts to nail people on walls)
  • Disabling weapon dropping via weapon scripts
  • The entire gibing per model system
  • A few bug reports or simple tweaks...

Now, to claim that he implemented those things JUST because I suggested it would be to take too much credit, since he certainly already had some ideas for some of these implementations.
Nonetheless, many times, the features I suggested were released a few days after my suggestions.
I cannot possibly describe the excitement I personally felt each time I read the new changelog of the SMOD, it was pretty damn overwhelming.

Ok last question: "Will you be able to play the original Half-Life 2/EP1 and EP2 campaigns in Underhell?"

While it will be possible, it is "not officially" supported.
I am sure it will work mostly well, but it is possible that some aspects will be bogus, some HL2 models will be replaced, like the Soldiers, Helicopters, Gunships, APC ect...
Some sounds might also be missing, mostly Alyx's, since I have commented out HL2's soundscripts from the manifests.
Although that is easy to fix, simply remove the "//" in front of the soundscripts to enable them again.
I have commented some HL2 Voice Over voices to lower the precaching time the game does upon first start, therefore reducing loading times.

if he still in contact with him, request for smod and smod2 source codes if the author wont work at it anymore.

I am unfortunately, not in touch with The Author anymore, his whereabouts are unknown to me, as they are to everyone else.
I was only privileged to see so many ideas I suggested implemented into the mod, but then again, if you look at the suggestions forums, most posts are by me.
I was really, over excited, and really active over this, and some of my suggestions were a bit exaggerated.

I hope I have answered all your questions, for any further questions you may ask them directly on the official forums, or just pay attention to the Tutorials Section of ModDb for you devs out there.

Thanks for your attention, see you around.

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill barely matters.FreeKill barely matters.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »

Although there might still be a way to make it run, the online functions that used to be there, aren't anymore.
Smod Troopers as it is cannot continue to exist, but the design behind it is an idea I am very keen to work on in the future, just under a different support.

So there is still life in the idea? Wonderful. I remember I met you randomly during one of your testing sessions. It's too bad the chat box only worked during death though.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:18:32 AM by FreeKill »

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »

We are not focusing on Custom Weapons at the time, but we do have a pretty decent arsenal, that we will keep growing over the next chapters.
As for most features, they can indeed be disabled.
But as SMOD was "user friendly", Underhell is "Developer Friendly", a lot of the features were designed to be played around with Inputs fired from the level, directly to the player or the concerned entities.
Things like enabling kick, bullet time, giving night vision to the player, or enabling/disabling the inventory, are managed by player inputs, that will be revealed in due times, in the Tutorials Section of ModDB over at http://www.moddb.com/mods/underhell/tutorials

Right now we have:
  • 5 unique melee weapons (different animations/speed/damage/stamina required)
  • 4 HandGuns
  • 4 Shotguns
  • 3 Smgs
  • 2 Rifles
  • 1 Custom Crossbow
  • A few surprises

All the HL2 weapons remained untouched and co-exist on the side.

Underhell was originally designed with the idea that "I have to be able to make this on my own, using SMOD"
Hoping that, after Prologue would be released, it would gain popularity and attract people willing to help.
And so it did, and I met Carlos "Charly" Sotelo, who is now the programmer for Underhell.

Therefore the Challenges only applied for the Prologue, where I was limited by SMOD's features, that said the Prologue being the less demanding chapter of the game, feature wise, was very easy to find a good use for some of the best features of SMOD.

I am very familiar with every aspect of SMOD, so familiar in fact that I don't believe anyone can teach me anything I don't already know about it, once I had seen all it could offer, I started to look beyond, and luckily, Charly arrived and we got to work.
We made the code for Underhell from the Source SDK Base 2007 template, meaning no specific Source Game is required to play, any of them will do.

I did not work with "The Author" directly, what I did, like many others, is request specific features for the Mod, that would help the development of Underhell.
Without directly answering to me, the features were added in the next versions of SMOD, as you can see from my suggestions post on the official forums:
http://accept.hopto.org/smod/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=83f3b1fe093c2b7cf9d30dc3bff109fa

Some of the features I suggested and were implemented are:
  • Flashlight consuming battery
  • Precaching Models from scripts
  • Color corrections fix
  • Visor Effects flexible duration
  • "Nail Grenade" (grenade firing crossbow bolts to nail people on walls)
  • Disabling weapon dropping via weapon scripts
  • The entire gibing per model system
  • A few bug reports or simple tweaks...

Now, to claim that he implemented those things JUST because I suggested it would be to take too much credit, since he certainly already had some ideas for some of these implementations.
Nonetheless, many times, the features I suggested were released a few days after my suggestions.
I cannot possibly describe the excitement I personally felt each time I read the new changelog of the SMOD, it was pretty damn overwhelming.

While it will be possible, it is "not officially" supported.
I am sure it will work mostly well, but it is possible that some aspects will be bogus, some HL2 models will be replaced, like the Soldiers, Helicopters, Gunships, APC ect...
Some sounds might also be missing, mostly Alyx's, since I have commented out HL2's soundscripts from the manifests.
Although that is easy to fix, simply remove the "//" in front of the soundscripts to enable them again.
I have commented some HL2 Voice Over voices to lower the precaching time the game does upon first start, therefore reducing loading times.

I am unfortunately, not in touch with The Author anymore, his whereabouts are unknown to me, as they are to everyone else.
I was only privileged to see so many ideas I suggested implemented into the mod, but then again, if you look at the suggestions forums, most posts are by me.
I was really, over excited, and really active over this, and some of my suggestions were a bit exaggerated.

I hope I have answered all your questions, for any further questions you may ask them directly on the official forums, or just pay attention to the Tutorials Section of ModDb for you devs out there.

Thanks for your attention, see you around.

Good to see u here! :D and that sounds amazing!

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
Cool! tnc you for answering all our questions.
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!