Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WARNING: SteamPipe update breaks CSS, HL2DM SMOD GCF mounts (FIX INSIDE)  (Read 43669 times)

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.
Valve will soon join the DLC hype...so god help us once that's on the go.
May be a decade from now new gamers new to hl/hl2 mods will scramble for files here and there just to check this super cool mod called, smod and many other great mods that are no longer working to hl2.exe version 666.6666.666...LoL!
We are so lucky!...but tnx valve and all this awesome modders.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:44:01 AM by IronCore »
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!

Offline JoshZemlinsky

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • JoshZemlinsky has no influence.
Valve will soon join the DLC hype...so god help us once that's on the go.

Oh god i can just imagine...
"VALVE announces new DLC for HL2, and it's episode! By paying 60$ (60euros if you aren't from the U.S. HAHA!) you'll be able to play all your old favorite mods for a totally compatible HL2 build! It has never been this fun to play mods before!"

Just imagine, forcing us to pay up to play free mods.  :P

Offline Pangia

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pangia has no influence.
Looks like Valve really wants players to pi♥♥te HL2 to make any mod working with it - like Half-Life 2 would be that good game so it would worth so much bytes of disc space and time to download all that very much needed updates (for me HL2 isn't even in half [hehehe] as good as Half-Life 1)
Quote from: JoshZemlinsky
Just imagine, forcing us to pay up to play free mods.  :P
Hey, it's a shitty situation when people like playing free game more than a game you and your dev team were working for past few years, where you spent many $$$ to make this and one guy spent only some time and made that almost for free - cause it means you fu♥♥ed up :P - you didn't make what people wanted to get - even when people didn't know what they want to get :D

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
*sigh*

I just said last page that I did NOT want to see talk of pirating Valve games. Pangia, obscuring a few letters is not going to help because, guess what? You're still talking about pirating.

Yeah I don't like this SteamPipe update. It seems poorly thought out and done without much regard to mods that use stock Valve maps, but most mods will still work and for the ones that are truly hurt by it, there's workarounds. Like the ones posted in the OP of this thread and don't involve illegal methods.

Frankly, I'm pretty sad at what this thread has devolved into. The last few posts have a quality I'd sooner associate with GameFAQ's or 4chan. I'm ashamed that this level of posting is embraced or even seen as acceptable here.

As the latest posts are contributing nothing to the topic but unfunny jokes and hyperbole, I'm locking the thread. I'll probably reopen this once Valve launches the SteamPipe update for HL2 and the episodes with further information about making SMOD work with them, and hopefully we'll keep the post quality to a higher standard than the ones on this page.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:22:06 PM by Onemanshow »

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
Valve has shipped the SteamPipe update for Half-Life 2, so I am unlocking the thread. The OP has been updated with information on how to extract the HL2 SteamPipe install into something SMOD can use.

Remember: No piracy talk. Keep the dumb hyperbole and unfunny jokes to a minimum please.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
Oops. Looks like I forgot to actually unlock the topic. You should be able to post here now.

Offline Pangia

Thanks, OMS :)
Now, what I wanted to ask: is that update automatically downloading through Steam or it does when you start HL2? Cause I haven't done backup of any files and I can still play SMOD. Maybe I don't understand something? Version: 40a (AFAIR I've downloaded it from here), installed in "sourcemods" folder. I still have Half-Life and rest of these in "[nickname]" folder, however, I have also "Half-Life 2" folder in "common" folder (only saves are present there, though). I've played HL2 in March last time, so maybe update didn't apply to it.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
Thanks, OMS :)
Now, what I wanted to ask: is that update automatically downloading through Steam or it does when you start HL2? Cause I haven't done backup of any files and I can still play SMOD. Maybe I don't understand something? Version: 40a (AFAIR I've downloaded it from here), installed in "sourcemods" folder. I still have Half-Life and rest of these in "[nickname]" folder, however, I have also "Half-Life 2" folder in "common" folder (only saves are present there, though). I've played HL2 in March last time, so maybe update didn't apply to it.

The SteamPipe conversion won't happen until you start Half-Life 2. You'll get a message saying the format needs to be converted before it'll actually do so, I think.

I've noticed is that I've still been able to play SMOD fine even without the HL2 SteamPipe fix for it. Can anyone else confirm?

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
I can't confirm HL2, but HL2:DM works without steampipe fix for sure
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Pangia

The SteamPipe conversion won't happen until you start Half-Life 2. You'll get a message saying the format needs to be converted before it'll actually do so, I think.

I've noticed is that I've still been able to play SMOD fine even without the HL2 SteamPipe fix for it. Can anyone else confirm?
Hm... That's what I thought, just wasn't sure of that.
So... There isn't actually any reason to play HL2 when you have SMOD, so looks like everything is fine - for now. :)

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
I just redownloaded HL@ and the guide was very easy to follow. Thanks OMS.

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
Quote from: pangia
Hm... That's what I thought, just wasn't sure of that.

So can anyone confirm  that HL2:DM works without steampipe fix?

Also, can anyone check CS:S ?
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
Re: WARNING: SteamPipe update breaks CSS, HL2DM SMOD GCF mounts (FIX INSIDE)
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
Well, this is certainly interesting, in the same way swallowing a wasp nest would be:

MountFilesystem ( 280 ) failed:
SteamMountFilesystem(340,280,0x11c5c5f5a8=,0x11c5f498) failed with error 20:
Cache file created for a different application

This cryptic message appeared upon starting the game. For less than a second the screen goes black, then it flashes back to desktop.
Funny, it worked perfectly this morning and then it decided to die.
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
Well, this is certainly interesting, in the same way swallowing a wasp nest would be:

MountFilesystem ( 280 ) failed:
SteamMountFilesystem(340,280,0x11c5c5f5a8=,0x11c5f498) failed with error 20:
Cache file created for a different application

This cryptic message appeared upon starting the game. For less than a second the screen goes black, then it flashes back to desktop.
Funny, it worked perfectly this morning and then it decided to die.

appid 280 is Half-Life: Source. It just got a SteamPipe update today, so if you have it mounted, it'll cause that crash until you remove the mount.

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
Turns out it was trivial then. I added it in there in case some map needed it, but turns out it would come back to haunt me eventually. Not sure why they would bother with updating it, but whatever floats their boat I suppose. Thanks again.
My behind is behind me, always watching.