Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dive move for SMOD?  (Read 765 times)

Offline TheZec

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • TheZec has no influence.
Dive move for SMOD?
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
I know Redux V5 has a dive move for he Barney character, and Underhell has a dive move as well. Any way to get it into 40a, Redux V8, and/or Final?

Offline xdanielx52

• xdanielx52 has no influence.
Re: Dive move for SMOD?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »
a dive move? can't remember something like that at all. i saw it in garry's mod and in sven coop though.
well, underhell, do you mean the prologue version based on smod or do you mean the chapter 1 version?
because chapter 1 would make sense because they completely wrote the code from scratch.
do you have any pictures you could share of redux v5 or underhell with those dive moves?
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:53:38 PM »
I actually did a new dive script for SMOD some time ago but never found a good reason to publicly release it. I thought about including it into Redux Final, but I'm not a fan of using config scripts for gameplay functions due to the many issues that can happen.

But eh, it's better out in the wild than rotting away on my hard drive.

SMOD ACTION DIVE SCRIPT: https://mega.nz/#!qItCDbCS!AZ9wfDJhJL-lKFF-GWnuqQdqgUgglV5dumLyv4Zja_o

The script should work in just about any SMOD version as long as it's not using a really old SMOD as a base, or already making use of the superjump feature (the script makes use of the superjump and tweaks the settings accordingly). Just extract the cfg folder into the SMOD of your choice and type "exec dive.cfg" in the console.

The dive key is bound to "B" by default, but you can change the key by opening the script and changing bind b "dive_tog" to something like bind MOUSE3 "dive_tog". Gameplay-wise it works like the "Shootdodge" function from Max Payne, so you'll be immobile once you land until you press the dive key again to stand up.

Offline TheZec

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:21:02 AM »
^Holy crap, thank you so much!

a dive move? can't remember something like that at all. i saw it in garry's mod and in sven coop though.
well, underhell, do you mean the prologue version based on smod or do you mean the chapter 1 version?
because chapter 1 would make sense because they completely wrote the code from scratch.
do you have any pictures you could share of redux v5 or underhell with those dive moves?

Hmm it's been a while since Underhell for me so I couldn't tell you. And I'd record a webm of the dive from Redux V5 but I guess it doesn't matter now thanks to Onemanshow.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »
There's one thing I forgot to mention about the dive script. It won't work properly unless you have "smod_player_deathcam" set to 0.

For some reason, SMOD introduces physics quirks related to the player when "smod_player_deathcam" is set to 1 or 2. It breaks an old feature of the the Shovel weapon, as it used to propel the player upwards when you aimed down and held primary fire, but more relevant is that taking damage while in mid-air will completely kill momentum and cause you to simply fall to the ground, which is a big problem when a dive stops dead because someone hit you. :-\

It didn't used to be like this - I think something changed around SMOD 39 that brought this on. In any case, setting "smod_player_deathcam" to 0 fixes these issues. It comes at the cost of making the death camera act like it does in vanilla Half-Life 2, and for some reason disables the player model's animations in third-person, so you'll just see it in a t-pose if you use any third-person view options.

Offline TheZec

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
^I finally got around to testing this. Unfortunately, setting smod_player_deathcam to 0 does not stop bullets from stopping the player while diving or jumping. I tested this in SMOD Redux 5, Redux Final, as well SMOD40.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:37:31 AM »
^I finally got around to testing this. Unfortunately, setting smod_player_deathcam to 0 does not stop bullets from stopping the player while diving or jumping. I tested this in SMOD Redux 5, Redux Final, as well SMOD40.

It won't apply until the next map if you typed it in while in-game. I suggest you put the command in your autoexec.cfg to ensure it'll stick when you load a new map in.

Offline TheZec

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
^Not to sound ungrateful, truly, but that didn't work either. Tested on various SMODs where I added smod_player_deathcam 0 to the autoexec.cfg, or manually entered it into the console before starting a map, as well as entering in game and entering the next map.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
^Not to sound ungrateful, truly, but that didn't work either. Tested on various SMODs where I added smod_player_deathcam 0 to the autoexec.cfg, or manually entered it into the console before starting a map, as well as entering in game and entering the next map.

Just did some testing and I can confirm that command isn't the cause. Rather, it seems to be the player model itself. I can't say what it is (I suspect it's how SMOD handles hitboxes on player models) but I think I know how to fix it. The player model needs to be set to "models/player.mdl" to stop this from happening. This is the default HL2 model used for the player and when I set it as player model, the issue no longer occurred. Dump this line into an autoexec or type it in console:

Code: [Select]
cl_playermodel "models/player.mdl"
If you want to use this in Redux Final it's a bit different as this model was replaced with the new Gordon model, as HL2 automatically precaches this mesh and using it helped stop hitching on level load. If you want to stop this bug happening in Redux Final, you'll have to delete the six player model files included in the models folder: player.mdl, player.dx80.vtx, player.dx80.vtx, player.sw.vtx, player.phy, player.vvd. The HL2 default should be restored after that, and you won't need to set the player model since Redux already uses it. Keep in mind you'll also be out of locational damage on the player since the HL2 model isn't set up for it, if you care about that.

Hope this fixes the issue for good. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:22:17 AM by Onemanshow »

Offline TheZec

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
^Interestingly, cl_playermodel "models/player.mdl" only works for SMOD40, at least for me. When I used it with Redux V5, it didn't work. However, disabling locational damage in RV5 did solve the issue. Entering "smod_player_locationdamage 0" in Redux Final solved the issue without deleting the models you specified. Finally, diving and bullet time. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, man. Gonna take this for a spin later today.