Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

* CLIENTS SECTION RULES

This section is for CLIENTS (Full SMOD Releases) ONLY.
You may create a new topic in this area to release your SMOD Mod. If you post anything off-topic here you will be temp-banned. This is so you don't hassle the moderators too much, they are volunteers.

If you need help with a mod, post a reply in its thread. Do not start a new topic for help here!

Please use good taste when releasing your mod. Adding 30 custom weapons from the release archive into SMOD Redux and then releasing as your own mod will be frowned upon.  :(

Author Topic: SMOD Standalone 0.65  (Read 179357 times)

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: SMOD Standalone 0.30
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
Hello everyone. As I am new here it seems a good idea to to begin with paying "homage" to Pepsifan for this mod that I enjoyed very much (at least for couple of hours though). You see, I've got a problem with installing SMOD. It worked for a while but as I experienced some problems with CryLife I decided to reinstall SMOD Standalone. Curiously it crashed (vpk.exe stopped working) when it tried to unpack some files. I closed the popup and the main installer proceeded and finished the installation. But the mod itself does not work - as some of users mentioned - I can hear the music but cannot see the menu. I reinstalled both HL2 and SDK 2006 and validated their integrity via Steam (which as I read somewhere is  supposed to be the way to check if a game is fully updated) but with no positive results. And yes, I ran both games prior installing SMOD.

I apologise if it is some kind of a stupid mistake on my side but I am pretty much certain that I did everything Pepsifan required for installation. All in all, every advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers: Pneumandron

well first of all it's absolutely useless to sign your posts as we can clearly see who posted on the left

also if vpk.exe spews errors it clearly has to be a problem with that, now i'm not exactly what causes the problem but if it crashes while extracting something it must be corrupted or something

either way, try installing it again after you've validated the game files

Offline Pneumandron

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pneumandron has no influence.
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
Well, it did not help. But still thanks for quick reply. As for signing, I tend to treat longer posts as email messages that's all.  :)

Offline Bitl

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Well, it did not help. But still thanks for quick reply. As for signing, I tend to treat longer posts as email messages that's all.  :)
Did you try verifying your steam cache for HL2?
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

Visit my Discord here: https://discord.gg/chfVwk2

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don

Offline Pepsifan04

• Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
Hello everyone. As I am new here it seems a good idea to to begin with paying "homage" to Pepsifan for this mod that I enjoyed very much (at least for couple of hours though). You see, I've got a problem with installing SMOD. It worked for a while but as I experienced some problems with CryLife I decided to reinstall SMOD Standalone. Curiously it crashed (vpk.exe stopped working) when it tried to unpack some files. I closed the popup and the main installer proceeded and finished the installation. But the mod itself does not work - as some of users mentioned - I can hear the music but cannot see the menu. I reinstalled both HL2 and SDK 2006 and validated their integrity via Steam (which as I read somewhere is  supposed to be the way to check if a game is fully updated) but with no positive results. And yes, I ran both games prior installing SMOD.

I apologise if it is some kind of a stupid mistake on my side but I am pretty much certain that I did everything Pepsifan required for installation. All in all, every advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers: Pneumandron

That's very curious problem you have there...
So from what I can understand: You do have vpk.exe where it should be, but it crashes during file extraction?
If yes, try extracting a single .vpk file (just drag it over vpk.exe)

vpk.exe should be located inside "\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\bin"
and I'd suggest exacting "hl2_pak_dir.vpk" from "Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2"
see if that causes crashes.

Also, If you don't have vpk.exe where it should be, try downloading "Source SDK"
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Silentdarkness12

• Silentdarkness12 has no influence.
Me 2
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »
Having the exact same problem myself. (yes, I made an account just to say the equivalent of "make that double")

I'm gonna try downloading Source SDK just to see if that's what's causing the problem, so....time will tell.

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »
Well, welcome to BSNOOCH.com, Pneumandron and Silentdarkness12.

A wild guess of mine would be that not all files got extracted. I'm not sure tho.

Offline Pneumandron

• Pneumandron has no influence.
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »

That's very curious problem you have there...
So from what I can understand: You do have vpk.exe where it should be, but it crashes during file extraction?
If yes, try extracting a single .vpk file (just drag it over vpk.exe)

vpk.exe should be located inside "\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\bin"
and I'd suggest exacting "hl2_pak_dir.vpk" from "Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2"
see if that causes crashes.

Also, If you don't have vpk.exe where it should be, try downloading "Source SDK"

The vpk.exe is in the right place. I tried to unpack that package as You said and it caused a crash.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:16:38 AM by Pneumandron »

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
must be a corrupted vpk then

Offline Silentdarkness12

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
Loading it up in cmd.exe, it said that it couldn't find hl2_pak_dir.vpk. Also, i've tried deleting vpk.exe and letting it re-download, no luck. Seems that the vpk tool is broken.

EDIT: Direct dropping a vpk file on it seems to have it even more broken than before. It makes an empty folder with a % for a name. I think I know what happened here. Not too long ago, changes were made to the file system AGAIN(!), that did a fine job breaking vpk extractors. I should know. I had extreme difficulty getting the TF2 vo files. It became very, very picky.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:55:24 AM by Silentdarkness12 »

Offline Comrade

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
Loading it up in cmd.exe, it said that it couldn't find hl2_pak_dir.vpk. Also, i've tried deleting vpk.exe and letting it re-download, no luck. Seems that the vpk tool is broken.

EDIT: Direct dropping a vpk file on it seems to have it even more broken than before. It makes an empty folder with a % for a name.

i've heard somewhere that a recent update to hl2/ep2 broke all mods based on source sdk base 2007, could be related to source sdk base 2013 as well

goddamn valve, they break games ALL THE TIME.

Offline Silentdarkness12

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
It appears that we need a manual installation method to get those precious HL2 files we need so badly. Vpk.exe is broken. I can potentially get GCFscape to function and grab the files if need be.

EDIT: Yep. VPK.exe is broken for sure. hl2_dir_pak.vpk comes up like apples in GCFscape. All I need now, is for someone to tell me how to manually put the files into the SMOD Standalone engine, and i'm off to the races.

EDIT 2: Wow. Really, they can't even be bothered to fix their OWN THINGS when they break.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:47:52 PM by Silentdarkness12 »

Offline Pepsifan04

• Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
i've heard somewhere that a recent update to hl2/ep2 broke all mods based on source sdk base 2007, could be related to source sdk base 2013 as well

FFS valve! stop breaking my hard work!

Silentdarkness12:
Proceed with the automatic installation as normal, let vpk.exe crash.
This'll allow installation to create custom folders, then Extract:
Code: [Select]
\common\Source SDK Base\vpks\depot_206_dir (materials folder)
\common\Source SDK Base\vpks\depot_207_dir (models folder)
\common\Source SDK Base\vpks\depot_208_dir (sounds folder)

\common\Source SDK Base\vpks\depot_212_dir (cfg, expressions, media, resource, scripts, shaders folders)
Move all of those extracted folders to "SDKBase" inside "Smod Standalone"

Next Extract:
\common\Source SDK Base\vpks\depot_212_dir (platform folder)
And move it to "Smod Standalone" folder, There should be already one created, You need to merge extracted platform folder with the one already existing, BUT DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILES

You should already have hl2.exe inside "Smod Standalone", if not, copy one over from "\common\Half-Life 2"

Also you might need to remove contents of "Smod Standalone/hl2/scripts/addcontents.txt"
just leave it blank.
Launch Smod by double clicking hl2.exe (refer to SMOD:STDL ENGINE DOCUMENTATION for detailed info about launching other smod-s,  http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=1360.msg8292#msg8292 )
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:04:27 PM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Silentdarkness12

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

FFS valve! stop breaking my hard work!

Silentdarkness12:
Proceed with the automatic installation as normal, let vpk.exe crash.
This'll allow installation to create custom folders, then Extract:
\common\SourceSDK\vpks\depot_206_dir (materials folder)
\common\SourceSDK\vpks\depot_207_dir (models folder)
\common\SourceSDK\vpks\depot_208_dir (sounds folder)

\common\SourceSDK\vpks\depot_212_dir (cfg, expressions, media, resource, scripts, shaders folders)
Move all of those extracted folders to "SDKBase" inside "Smod Standalone"

Next Extract:
\common\SourceSDK\vpks\depot_212_dir (platform folder)
And move it to "Smod Standalone" folder, There should be already one created, You need to merge extracted platform folder with the one already existing, BUT DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILES

You should already have hl2.exe inside "Smod Standalone", if not, copy one over from "\common\Half-Life 2"

Also you might need to remove contents of "Smod Standalone/hl2/scripts/addcontents.txt"
just leave it blank.
Launch Smod by double clicking hl2.exe (refer to SMOD:STDL ENGINE DOCUMENTATION for detailed info about launching other smod-s,  http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=1360.msg8292#msg8292 )

Sadly, they must have renamed the depot files. THey're all listed as 211_01, 211_02, so on so forth.

Also, only opening the dir.vpk works. The others all glitch out to the point of unusability.

Here's an imgur of what I get upon opening the dir pak: http://i.imgur.com/wALnDLn.jpg

Looks like it's all been recompiled into a singular system, much like the others.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:04:06 PM by Silentdarkness12 »

Offline Pepsifan04

« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »
VALVE GO DIE IN FIRE!
Also look for them inside "Source SDK Base" folder.
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Silentdarkness12

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
Ahhh...there they are. They got moved into the SDK Base folder instead. Thanks.