Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Lets talk about weapon jamming  (Read 4373 times)

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
Lets talk about weapon jamming
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:12:35 AM »
Weapon jamming...how would you see it working? Here is my idea:

Every weapon you pick up would have a condition value attached to it. As the weapon is used, the condition degrades. When the condition reaches a threshold, the weapon develops a (min) chance to jam while firing. As condition further degrades, the weapon jam chance increases until condition reaches 0 and gun reaches its (max) chance to jam. Jams would need to be cleared via reload key, but would play a special animation.

In the custom weapon script you would have some values to mess with:
"CanJam" - Can the weapon jam? Yes or no
"MaxCondition" - Sets the max condition for this weapon, where 1 condition point is worth 1 bullet fired.
"CriticalCondition" - Sets the condition value where the gun begins to jam
"JamChanceMin" - Sets the jam chance once weapon reaches critical condition threshold. (0.0=never; 1.0=every time)
"JamChanceMax" - Sets the jam chance when weapon condition reaches zero. (0.0=never; 1.0=every time)
"ActivityOverride" - Override the default jam animations.

So then there would be some activities for folks to make custom animations:
ACTIVITY_FIRE_JAM - This would be the animation where the gun fires and then gets jammed.
ACTIVITY_JAM_IDLE - This would be the idle animation with the gun jammed, waiting for the player to clear it.
ACTIVITY_JAM_CLEAR - Player clears the jam by pressing reload.

thoughts, ideas?

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Lets talk about weapon jamming
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:13:47 AM »
I think Fallout has a durability system similar to this. I would be interesting to see stuff like stove pipes and double feeds tossed into that kind of system.

Offline Monkatraz

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:31 AM »
I think Fallout has a durability system similar to this. I would be interesting to see stuff like stove pipes and double feeds tossed into that kind of system.
This sounds more like Far Cry 2 system, which is pretty similar to Fallout but whatevs.
If you are going to add jamming, then you need durability. If you don't add durability, it just seem annoying and just straight up RNG instead of it being your fault for not getting a new gun. Now, with the standard gameplay of HL2/EP1/2 the durability system just wouldn't work.
This is something I don't know how you would fix. Maybe on certain maps it would work fine, any defense maps and the sort with a shop would work great. A large open map (maybe something like cscdesert) might work with this too. If there is just RNG jams, it would require a lot of testing to seem non-annoying and improve gameplay. Maybe only one certain weapons would it actually happen. I might see this work in places like the caves in EP2, where the only weapons you find are damaged and liable to jam.

Now onto the animation side of things. Most people developing for this won't animate their own weapons. A possible simple solution is add three things: A Jam Fire sounddata thing, so that a weapon without a jam fire animation can play a sound when jamming. Then, a thing in the weapon code that is like adjust that puts it into the "Jam" position. The third is to edit the activities list and allow you to replace the jam clear animation with something else, maybe the draw or the reload. This should be good enough to add a jam system with a non-jam setup gun. It would look wonky, but it would work.

So rundown in case my terrible typing skill makes this confusing.
Jam sound for sounddata
Adjust-like jam position in weapon code
Activities section has all the jam activities
MLG

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
This sounds more like Far Cry 2 system, which is pretty similar to Fallout but whatevs.
If you are going to add jamming, then you need durability. If you don't add durability, it just seem annoying and just straight up RNG instead of it being your fault for not getting a new gun. Now, with the standard gameplay of HL2/EP1/2 the durability system just wouldn't work.
This is something I don't know how you would fix. Maybe on certain maps it would work fine, any defense maps and the sort with a shop would work great. A large open map (maybe something like cscdesert) might work with this too. If there is just RNG jams, it would require a lot of testing to seem non-annoying and improve gameplay. Maybe only one certain weapons would it actually happen. I might see this work in places like the caves in EP2, where the only weapons you find are damaged and liable to jam.

Now onto the animation side of things. Most people developing for this won't animate their own weapons. A possible simple solution is add three things: A Jam Fire sounddata thing, so that a weapon without a jam fire animation can play a sound when jamming. Then, a thing in the weapon code that is like adjust that puts it into the "Jam" position. The third is to edit the activities list and allow you to replace the jam clear animation with something else, maybe the draw or the reload. This should be good enough to add a jam system with a non-jam setup gun. It would look wonky, but it would work.

Jam sound for sounddata

How about that dryfire sequence playing when you try to shoot a jammed gun, and need to reload when its jammed? Kind of like how it is in stalker,that could work. Of course you can do some awesome shit if custom jamming animations were supported so id still like to see them in the game

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »

Jam sound for sounddata

How about that dryfire sequence playing when you try to shoot a jammed gun, and need to reload when its jammed? Kind of like how it is in stalker,that could work. Of course you can do some awesome shit if custom jamming animations were supported so id still like to see them in the game

that would be why I included activity overrides, so you could insert standard animations if there were no custom ones.