Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

* TUTORIAL SECTION RULES

This section is for SMOD TUTORIALS & GUIDES ONLY.
You may create a new topic in the appropriate area to share your tutorial. If you post anything off-topic here you will be temp-banned. This is so we don't hassle the moderators too much, they are volunteers.

If you need help with a tutorial, post a reply in its thread . Do not start a new topic for help here!

Author Topic: [Tutorial] Make SMOD dosent crash so often/LAA  (Read 16519 times)

Offline Fidchell

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Fidchell has no influence.
Re: [Tutorial] Make SMOD dosent crash so often/LAA
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »
Hey, i've begun using this too. Not that i ever had many crashes, and one of the few maps that did crash on me, still crashes.
Now what i noticed is that Steam removes the .exe on every 2-3 start up for me. And don't go all "Microsoft support" on me, i did every step in this tutorial, didn't skip 1. I even just redid everything.
But no, Steam insist to be ass. It's getting a real pain, since i often restart Smod alot.  :P

I recommend trying disable_autosave. I feel like a broken record.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »
I think there is a misunderstanding about what this actually does. I wish CL had made the title on this more specific on what, exactly, this fixes. 

This was never intended to fix the random crashes SMOD is plagued with. There's no way around them without completely disabling mapadds, gore, etc. The only thing this will fix for sure is map transition crashes caused by Source 2006's comically low memory limit. That's it. If it stops any other crashing, I've never seen it.

And unlike what the OP says, you probably will benefit from this even if you have less than 3GB of RAM. The map transition crashes start when the game's memory usage hits roughly 512MB.

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
Well I guess this fix kinda acts different for most people.

For me, it eleminates 95% of crashes I get, as well I get smoother FPS. If I dont touch the .exe, Steam dosent replace it for me(or only very rarely).

EDIT: For the people who get their .exe replaced, try to disable auto updates for Source SDK Base 2006(you can find it in the tools list)

I will try it too, it might help.

EDIT2: Didnt helped for me, I will try to find anotehr way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:21:06 AM by Counter-Life™ »

Offline JoshZemlinsky

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • JoshZemlinsky has no influence.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
Ah, welp i'd still love to use this LAA thingy. As Counter says, it increases FPS, and i felt that too. I was quite suprised at how smooth everything went by during one map i was on, which have had problems before.

Right now i just wonder why Steam keeps replacing the .exe It's getting quite annoying.

I actually tried that, and on a map where i had been getting alot of crashes, i managed to play for 11 minutes lastnight before i got mowed down by combines. First time i ever died before i got a crash on that map.
So either of 3 things, disable_autosave actually worked (Yet i got no idea, to me it sounds like it would just disable_autosaves. And since this is a DM map, i dont think there would be any. But i dont know.) or i was just extremely lucky this time, or unlucky (3 times in a row) last time i played the map.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
Ok guys, I almost found a way to make Steam never replace the .exe again, theres only one little problem where I need help!

So basically I did this: I renamed the fixed hl2.exe to hl2fixed.exe, I left it in the same folder, I created a shortcut of it on my dektop and added those strart parameters:
-console -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\smodRL"(path to SMOD realism folder)

So, the fixed .exe starts and steam wont replace it anymore(since it has a different name now), the only problem now is when I try to start it the screen first goes black(like normal) but then I get this error message:
Extra App ID set to 220, but no SteamAppId.

Any help here? If someone can help me fix this problem then we can play our SMOD without mapchange crashes + without the need to replace the .exe everytime Steam replaces it!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:48:22 AM by Counter-Life™ »

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
well seems those russians have better hl2.exe coz my ns smod and other standalones source games never crashes anymore. their hl2.exe has a smaller files  size and LAA is already turned on.
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
Common guys I need yar help!

Offline Fidchell

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Fidchell has no influence.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

I actually tried that, and on a map where i had been getting alot of crashes, i managed to play for 11 minutes lastnight before i got mowed down by combines. First time i ever died before i got a crash on that map.
So either of 3 things, disable_autosave actually worked (Yet i got no idea, to me it sounds like it would just disable_autosaves. And since this is a DM map, i dont think there would be any. But i dont know.) or i was just extremely lucky this time, or unlucky (3 times in a row) last time i played the map.

I don't know how it works either, but it does. I found this out by realizing Outbreak is the only SMOD I've played that has never crashed on me.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »
I think I've stopped Steam from replacing the modified hl2.exe once and for all.

I marked the entire source sdk base folder as read only instead of just the .exe file. It still sometimes displays the "game not available" message, but does not replace the .exe anymore regardless of the commandline settings, meaning they no longer need to be used.

Can anyone else confirm this?   

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
I think I've stopped Steam from replacing the modified hl2.exe once and for all.

I marked the entire source sdk base folder as read only instead of just the .exe file. It still sometimes displays the "game not available" message, but does not replace the .exe anymore regardless of the commandline settings, meaning they no longer need to be used.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Holy cow, why I havent tough of that yet? I can't test it atm, but I will try it out ASAP!

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
Well I tried to but something really strange is going on...I cant select my folder to be read only, only the files inside. When i try to select the whole folder to be read only it dosent work, its just grey. Any ideas?

Offline Xamp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Xamp has no influence.
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Got my .exe on LAA and the whole folder on read only, no idea what will happen, but i'll play around a bit.

On wall duty again

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
OneManShow just proved once more that he's still the best! The fix you suggested works! It still will say the game is currently unaviable, but it won't replace the .exe anymore!!!

Thanks man! Big +rep!