Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WARNING: SteamPipe update breaks CSS, HL2DM SMOD GCF mounts (FIX INSIDE)  (Read 43300 times)

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
I just had Freekill confirm that Valve rolled back the SteamPipe update. If you already went through the .VPK conversion, run CS:S or HL2:DM again. It'll roll it back and redownload the .GCFs. I recommend anyone affected by this do so ASAP and back the .GCF's up. My guess is that there were still bugs in the update and they will likely re-launch it soon.   

Offline JoshZemlinsky

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • JoshZemlinsky has no influence.
I just had Freekill confirm that Valve rolled back the SteamPipe update. If you already went through the .VPK conversion, run CS:S or HL2:DM again. It'll roll it back and redownload the .GCFs. I recommend anyone affected by this do so ASAP and back the .GCF's up. My guess is that there were still bugs in the update and they will likely re-launch it soon.

Hmm, well surely odd. Anyways, i'll take it for what it is till Valve decides to re-release this "update"  ???

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
Code: [Select]
"HL2" {
                        "path" "C:\SMOD_Games\HL2\hl2\"
}

I prefer having the files in the sourcemods folder in this fashion in the gameinfo.txt file.

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game "|gameinfo_path|../smod_base" // double dot and slash means up one folder, in this case, to the source mods foldier, much better because it works globally for everyone (supplying they made a folder that holds the content).
Game "|gameinfo_path|../shared_content" //CS:S, HL2, Hl2DM stuff or blah blah.
Game hl2
}
._. I love coffee.

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.

Oh their probably have listened to the community and modders out cry. Why the heck even update or change format when it's already working fine? everyone have faster pc now.  They should start concentrating  on making episode 3 for christ sakes coz it's way way way too over due.

as for gcf back-ups I think I have 4-5 sets of these already starting from 2010 I think.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:22:04 AM by IronCore »
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!

Offline JoshZemlinsky

I have a feeling Valve is not listening to us. Basically, there are 2 kinds of people that use Source; Us which use it because of its amazing modding abilities. And people that use it to play games.

The people that use the Source engine for playing games, is MUCH higher then those who use it for modding. And of course Valve seems to forget why they are ridding high on the entire industry. But no, they seem to favor not the loyal people that has used their engine since Half-life 1, and instead favor the people that mean they can still get their pay checks.

It is really dumb, and i have never seen any other company ever before, go back 7 years later to "update" their old classics.
Imagine if the people behind Deus Ex did the same, it would be a mess and a good classic would of gone lost. Just like HL2 is now... I miss how it was in 2004 :(

Offline IronCore

Agree! they really don't listen especially the modding community unless someone could come up another super popular game just like CS did but that's kinda impossible now since COD games are gaining more and more new gamers to their favor. Cod4 weapons btw are so easy to mod btw hehe.

Well glad my smod mods are up and running again with just some few checkered pink texture on some
of my custom weapons. but as usual smod still crashes every now and then.

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
Then e-mail the hell out of valve. It just might work.

Offline Pepsifan04

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
The more Valve is "updating" their old games, the more I think I should NS my whole SMOD .

Good thing they rolled it back though.
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline IronCore

@Pepsifan04.....NS means...non steam?

@Freekill...I'm sure lots of people already did but they just use some dumb bots for that LoL!

Offline TheMann25

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • TheMann25 has no influence.
I don't have all of those GCF files... which would explain why phong doesn't work.
This is a catchy signature.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
I don't have all of those GCF files... which would explain why phong doesn't work.

No. It's because you use the Lost Coast .exe for SMOD, which lacks several features the SDK 2006 Base has.

Offline TheMann25

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • TheMann25 has no influence.

No. It's because you use the Lost Coast .exe for SMOD, which lacks several features the SDK 2006 Base has.

Any way to make it work or should I get the standalone version from IronCore?

Could I have the GCFs for EP1 and CSS? Without them mods keeps crashing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:37:28 AM by TheMann25 »
This is a catchy signature.

Offline Nullen

• Nullen has no influence.
I get a "cannot read from source file or disk" error when I try copying my episode 1 shared.gcf to my mount folder. Is there a solution to this? I already tried defragmenting and verifying the EP1 cache files and this is the only .gcf I've been having trouble with.

Offline IronCore

@Nullen...why the heck steam wouldn't just fix your broken gcf if you own it? anyway try fixing the broken or outdated gcf using CF Toolbox...google it.

@TheMann25....like I said over and over, google is your friend....you need css and ep1 gcf then google it!..how much hints to do you need? ...or just buy it, much much easier and more fun hehe.

Offline JoshZemlinsky

FUTURE-PROOFING HALF-LIFE 2:

1: Use GCFScape to extract the contents of the following .GCF's to their own, respective folder. For the sake of this, it'll be C:\SMOD_Games\HL2
source engine.gcf
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
source sounds.gcf
half-life 2 content.gcf
half-life 2 game dialog.gcf

Not to be an ass or anything, but those GCF's only hold the 2004 content from HL2's release. There's still a few maps/other files missing.
I don't know, it could be my fault for not using the same PC that i did in 2004. I would suggest also extracting the "Half-life 2 2007 base content" as it holds the missing maps etc, that WILL be needed to play the entire HL2 story line.

But i could be terribely wrong  :P