Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is it possible to merge this with FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod 13?  (Read 3560 times)

Offline theDoomguy2014

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • theDoomguy2014 has no influence.
Seriously that would be pretty awesome, but I know that they run on different versions of the Source engine. I just wanna know if it's possible to do so.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: Is it possible to merge this with FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod 13?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
Seriously that would be pretty awesome, but I know that they run on different versions of the Source engine. I just wanna know if it's possible to do so.
You want to merge incredibly noisy textures, ass-backwards models and incredibly sexualized females with this pure awesomeness?

While the environment textures may sound like a semi-good idea, I don't really think merging the rest of the content would be a good idea. Plus, you'll have to get permission from Fakefactory, unless he is okay with everyone simply taking his stuff and re-distributing it everywhere.

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
Well. I think it's ok if you make it for yourself and don't redistribute it before you get a permission.
So how to do it:
For textures(materials) : (hi-res vtf files) Copy and paste job. Use the VTFEdit if necessary.
http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=530.0
(vmt files) Use Fakefactory's version. However, some material proxies may not be available in source 2006. These material errors will list in the console whenever they're loaded (for easy debugging). Remove some lines in vmt files if necessary.
Beware, don't expect the textures look exactly the same as they do in orangebox engine.
For custom models : You'll probably have to decompile them and compile them again for source 2006 engine.

Anyway, it won't be easy to fix everything. Good news is you don't need everything working in perfect status before you can have a visible improve in the graphs. Just copy what you like and fix these up.

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
Well. I think it's ok if you make it for yourself and don't redistribute it before you get a permission.
So how to do it:
For textures(materials) : (hi-res vtf files) Copy and paste job. Use the VTFEdit if necessary.
http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=530.0
(vmt files) Use Fakefactory's version. However, some material proxies may not be available in source 2006. These material errors will list in the console whenever they're loaded (for easy debugging). Remove some lines in vmt files if necessary.
Beware, don't expect the textures look exactly the same as they do in orangebox engine.
For custom models : You'll probably have to decompile them and compile them again for source 2006 engine.

Anyway, it won't be easy to fix everything. Good news is you don't need everything working in perfect status before you can have a visible improve in the graphs. Just copy what you like and fix these up.

That's right, don't forget about the maps, Cinematic mod uses custom ones and besides that has some custom codes. So you have to decompile the maps, fix them and then recompile them on 2006 Source.

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.

Offline The Carrousel

• The Carrousel has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »

It's not that easy. I once tried and some of the textures ended up being too big for the buildings. I also got some other errors in the street wars section. Copying and pasting doesn't work for everything, I had to manually go to the folder and delete those textures. That fixed the problem, but only that one.

Though I was mainly interested in porting the particle effects. I may have gotten close, but I can't tell you for sure, it was some time ago. Right now I'm just using the textures and general effects from SMOD outbreak.

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:15:34 AM »
yeah im pretty sure vet got permission from FF to use some of the stuff from his old (real old) CM releases in outbreak.

Offline hazard777

• Jaws of Infinity
  • hazard777 has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
From what I remember only the textures from Cinematic Mod 4 allow a simple copy and paste job for use in an smod.