Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: (WIP) SMOD13 - Bringing SMOD back!  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Chr0n0Tr!gg3r

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Chr0n0Tr!gg3r has no influence.
(WIP) SMOD13 - Bringing SMOD back!
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
Hello and welcome to bringing SMOD back!

The Description:
SMOD13 is a complete remake of the classic SMOD from scratch with the goal to bring the awesome SMOD experience we all enjoyed onto the newest 2013 with most of all of the classic features back plus a plethora of new and streamlined features with the goal to make SMOD even more modable and fun than it was before! We not only want to bring SMOD back but re-light the fire in the community that was once extremely active with people discovering the mod for the first time and tinkering with it to their hearts content to make some really amazing things! We want SMOD13 to feel fresh and brand new so that old and new faces from the community will feel like they're diving back into it for the very first time.

The Team:
Though SMOD13 is mainly maintained and created by Rara we have a good handful of people who have/are doing some amazing work to help make this project possible and would not have gotten this far without them, period.
  • Rara - Head Coder and Project Lead {The head and heart of the project, without Rara the project would not exist!} [Rara#2992]
  • The Renegadist - Mod Manager + Input Lead {Helping manage the mod as well as getting the word out and providing input} [The Renegadist#4752]
  • Msalinas - Secondary Coder {Has been a gigantic help with the Mapadd system and more to come, very talented coder and has saved our asses multiple times!} [Msalinas#2865]
  • Arthurdead - Thirdendary Coder {An awesome coder who has not only helped us many times but is now officially part of the project!} [Arthurdead#8326]
  • sparrowstar - Coding Help {Sparrowstar has been very helpful with bits and pieces of code and will hopefully stick with us for help down the line} [sparrowstar#6112]
  • Joshy - Coding Consultation {Has given us a few tips and pointers which have gotten us into the right direction} [Joshy#8460]
  • Bitl - Firefight Reloaded Code {Provided us with the source code for FR which has not only helped us a ton concerning mapadd but also with other SMOD related code} [ Bitl#3305]
  • SirMasters - SMMOD Code {Helped us a ton by making his code for SMMOD open source so we could use it as a reference}

The Features:
Current Features:
  • The ability to play through Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, and many many mods, custom maps, and more in SMOD13 (WIP)
  • Mapadd (WIP)
  • Several original SMOD weapons ported including the kick and some new weapons including the elite and Uzi (WIP)
  • Ironsights (WIP)
  • New enemies including cut enemies and crossovers!
Planned Features:
  • Even more New enemies including cut enemies and crossovers!
  • A new and robust custom weapons system that not only allows for an infinite amount of custom weapons but it's more streamlined to make things easier for the modder
  • A more updated and faster version of LUA that is similar to what Garry's Mod uses but is more directly connected to the engine. If you could do it in C++ with the engine, you can do it with LUA!
  • The rest of SMOD's original weapons + a bunch of new ones to only add to the carnage that can be dealt to your enemies
  • All of SMOD's awesome effects and shaders that added depth to the game (Particle Expert needed!)
  • SMOD's incredibly brutal gore and blood system but updated and improved upon to maximize the devestation that can be unleashed! (Particle Expert needed!)
  • In-game tools to make mapadd creation easier and more personal
  • An improved menu UI that will look more polished and will include a better chapter/custom level screen removing the need for editing chapter files or loading maps in the console
  • A HUD system where players can have several HUD's in the game at one time and can choose which is displayed in-game
  • A leaning system for checking those corners
*Note that this list is still a work in progress

The Moving Pictures:
All official videos and what not will be posted here for convenience sake, nothing in these videos is final and may be removed, redone, or improved in the future!

The Still Images:
All official images showing off either WIP or just images to get the hype train rolling!

The Final Thoughts:
Hope this got people hyped for the project, it would be phenomenal to see SMOD back alive and kicking in a much more stable state and with this project we hope to achieve that!
If you'd like to participate in active development/discussion then join the Source Modding Community and once you are a member hit up our channel at #mod-hl2_smod13 , Discord link here: https://discord.gg/FgsCdR9.
We currently don't have a publicly available download as we're still developing it behind closed doors but the plan is to release a beta once we have the core features added and we will be releasing the source code once the mod is finished and is fully public!
We are also in the process of finding a Particle designer to work on a couple particle systems for some of the effects and the blood/gore system so if you know a guy that knows a guy then let us know!
Finally, once we get something super legit going we're hoping to get our own sub-forum on the forums but we'd like to wait until a release is put out. Thanks guys and happy SMOD'ing!

*I am only human, expect this page to be edited with new info/changes!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:42:02 AM by Chr0n0Tr!gg3r »

Offline Chr0n0Tr!gg3r

Re: (WIP) SMOD13 - Bringing SMOD back!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
inbefore mod is dead an hour after the thread is posted.

Offline No1Gamer

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • No1Gamer has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
looking nice. i hope this makes it to release.  ;D

Offline Astraxis

• Astraxis has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
Dear god I hope you guys can pull this off. There's some big names in that development list, and if (when!) this pulls through, I'm sure this will be the best thing to happen to the HL community since Underhell way back in 2013.

Count me on the hype train, good luck!

Offline Bitl

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
give me source code pleeeease i want to contribute to this

or at least put it on github
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don

Offline Zoldat

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Zoldat has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
I've already said it, but I will say it again: this is A-W-E-S-O-M-E  ;D 8)
Hope you'll finish it  ;) Can't wait for it  :)
Good luck  :-*

Offline Chr0n0Tr!gg3r

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
So Bitl is on board to help us and we're also implementing a new system that loads two mapadd files for maps that apply with the new mappadd being in a folder named "mapfixes". When a map is loaded the game will search for two mapadd's, one in the actual "mapadd" folder and one in the "mapfixes" folder. The mapfixes folder will contain all official mapadds created by us in order to fix certain elements of any of the campaigns that may be broken or bugged that would otherwise require decompiling, for example, the floating chair scientist before Gordon enters the test chamber and the Barney that is cut in half by the laser (Uses a T-posed HL2 Barney). So when a map is loaded it will load the player made mapadd and the mapfix mapadd if one is present for fixes for that map.

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
Hopefully you guys get this thing to a public release. Rooting for ya'll.

Offline Chr0n0Tr!gg3r

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
The biggest issue we're facing right now is finding someone who can help with getting the shaders going and a particle editor for the various effects in the game and the blood and gore system, if anyone knows anyone who is willing to help let us know.

Offline Monkatraz

• Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:38 AM »
Like, custom building a particle editor? You're on 2013, just use the Orange Box particle editor that's built right in. Unless you mean you need someone to make the effects? Really one of you should just try to learn the editor yourselves. It's surprisingly easy to use.

I mean, I've done quite a few particles in the editor if you want my help, but I don't want to involve myself too much into any projects.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:28:46 AM by Monkatraz »
MLG

Offline Chr0n0Tr!gg3r

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
Like, custom building a particle editor? You're on 2013, just use the Orange Box particle editor that's built right in. Unless you mean you need someone to make the effects? Really one of you should just try to learn the editor yourselves. It's surprisingly easy to use.

I mean, I've done quite a few particles in the editor if you want my help, but I don't want to involve myself too much into any projects.

Thanks for the offer though we've decided to put that on hold until the base game is set up first. Recently we've noticed how broken each game is due to Valve's piss poor mounting system that mixes files together and spits out bugs left and right. For now we're putting all of our focus into porting the classic weapons, mapadd, and coding a new mounting system that will hopefully fix all or most of the problems we're having right now.

Offline Monkatraz

• Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
Thanks for the offer though we've decided to put that on hold until the base game is set up first. Recently we've noticed how broken each game is due to Valve's piss poor mounting system that mixes files together and spits out bugs left and right. For now we're putting all of our focus into porting the classic weapons, mapadd, and coding a new mounting system that will hopefully fix all or most of the problems we're having right now.

Alright, makes sense. Let me know if you guys need some animation advice or whatever knowledge I have of the particle editor. I'm pretty much useless otherwise.
MLG

Offline msalinas2877

• msalinas2877 has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:38 AM »

Quality Content

Offline martin.kosecky5

• martin.kosecky5 has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »
Q U A L I T Y
You can solve any problem using C4 , you just need to figure out how much C4 do you need exactly.

Offline AnOldLady

• AnOldLady has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
OH MY GOD I WAS ON THE VERGE OF CRYING CAUSE IM TRYING TO MAKE A MOD FROM CURRENT SMOD AND I GOT REALLY SAD CAUSE PORTING MODELS to 2006 source engine is a pain in the butt and its really glitchy BUT THANK GOD YOU GUYS ARE MAKING 2013 SMOD.