Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WARNING: SteamPipe update breaks CSS, HL2DM SMOD GCF mounts (FIX INSIDE)  (Read 43733 times)

Offline plagueof

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • plagueof has no influence.
Hello, I just signed up, I own the orange box and I am in the process of making a HL2 episode 2 Map, though I wanted to be able to edit some of the materials from Episode 1.

When I use GFCScape I extract the files but they appear as 0Kb in size, when in the GFCScape program the materials are larger in size. I am not sure why GFCScape does not extract it.  Also when I validate the Episode 1 shared content in GFCScape it says it is incomplete. I signed up because you seem to understand more in these matters than I.

I tried to follow the' Future-Proofing Half life 2 - Episode 1 tutorial you have created but I cannot seem to find the "addcontents.txtfile in my scripts folder. And I am not sure what I would do afterwards

This is where I search :

Root-episodic-scripts.

Can anyone help?

Possible to contact me here or through email.

Thanks

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Welcome to BSNOOCH!

To your problem now, VALVe packed the episode 1 stuff into a new .gcf called "episodic 2007 shared" at the 26th may update. I dont know why they moved them there, I guess it makes EP2 use the EP1 stuff aswell. Note that this .gcf only includes the .vtf's, the .vmt's still lie in "episode 1 shared".

Hope that helped! Also, the addcontents.txt is a SMOD feature and wont work with EP2.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:39:05 PM by Counter-Life™ »

Offline plagueof

• plagueof has no influence.
Thank you Counter-life, excellent, I am extremely grateful, the materials are all there, I was looking to edit one of the overlays. That only appear in the Car park lot area. From Episode 1. I hope to be able to edit it

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Thank you Counter-life, excellent, I am extremely grateful, the materials are all there, I was looking to edit one of the overlays. That only appear in the Car park lot area. From Episode 1. I hope to be able to edit it

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Thats why I am here ^^ glad I could help.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:04:29 PM by Counter-Life™ »

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
Just tested out the new SteamPipe version of CS:S on SMOD. Works fine with the handful of map I loaded up. Will update the OP with instructions.

Offline Xamp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Xamp has no influence.
Thank you for keeping us up to date with fixes and instructions, OMS. +rep

On wall duty again

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
Valve has released a opt-in SteamPipe beta of Half-Life 2, The Lost Coast and the Episodes. It's probably safe to say the official SteamPipe release of these games is not far off.

I opted in to the HL2 one to take a look at the VPK contents and this one's not going to go as smooth as the last two have. Valve seems to have included a number of Source 2007 models and textures that will not be compatible with SMOD. I could not test the content compatibility out further at the moment, so I can't say just how much will break with this update.

If you haven't backed up the .GCF files listed in the OP, do so now. I expect Valve to launch the SteamPipe versions of these games within 3 months at most and it WILL affect SMOD. For that matter, this update is probably going to hit almost every mod that uses content from these games as well as the SDK. Hopefully Valve will update the SDK when they roll out SteamPipe and include a solution for mods or the collateral damage is going to be immense.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
Valve has released a opt-in SteamPipe beta of Half-Life 2, The Lost Coast and the Episodes. It's probably safe to say the official SteamPipe release of these games is not far off.

I opted in to the HL2 one to take a look at the VPK contents and this one's not going to go as smooth as the last two have. Valve seems to have included a number of Source 2007 models and textures that will not be compatible with SMOD. I could not test the content compatibility out further at the moment, so I can't say just how much will break with this update.

If you haven't backed up the .GCF files listed in the OP, do so now. I expect Valve to launch the SteamPipe versions of these games within 3 months at most and it WILL affect SMOD. For that matter, this update is probably going to hit almost every mod that uses content from these games as well as the SDK. Hopefully Valve will update the SDK when they roll out SteamPipe and include a solution for mods or the collateral damage is going to be immense.

Oh VALVe just why?

Offline No1Gamer

• No1Gamer has no influence.
oh well ... gg valve and rip hl2 mods. valve killing his own fanbase right now, i hope they realise that.

Offline JoshZemlinsky

• JoshZemlinsky has no influence.
Valve doesn't care about our opinions anymore. They make these updates for people who play TF2, and all their other games without mods.
It is easier to install and manage mods now, but making them work with the game itself is harder then making them :/
I always praised Valve for making their content so easy to access, no other games has EVER had this easy management.

Their new updates also mean more people will use the Steamwork shop, that results in:
#1 - Valve gains more controll over custom content.
#2 - Valve has to do less, as anything you post on there, is technically made by them.
#3 - ???
#4 - PROFIT!

Despite this fact people STILL support them out the ass, HOW far does your head have to be up your butt if you continue to praise a company, that's killing their standing stone slowly and painfully?
From my point of view (Approved by my dad) Valve was only able to ride this high because of how EASY it was to mod HL1 and 2... Then suddenly, they begun releasing updates that breaks ALL compatibility with mods, skins, models, etc...

How can it be that before 2010, all updates for HL2 didnt break mod support?
Suddenly Valve pulls this dick move out their ass and updates all their old games to the 2010 source code, leaving errors, bugs, and a broken mod community behind them. I recently replayed HL2, Ep1, and Ep2. AND NO, they have NOT fixed a bunch of bugs that wasn't there before.

And people who play their games without mods, continues to support them... And with half the people who used to mod Half-life suddenly lacking behind and leaving, new people get introduced to Valve through games like L4D, Portal 2 and TF2 especially.
They don't know what Source was, they just know how it is, and as with CoD, they havn't seen how good it has been, and thinks the shit they are given is gold.

Personally, i don't support Valve anymore... For me, they are up somewhere beside EA and Activision.

Sorry to say it... It really hurts  :'(

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
I agree with Josh and his dad, Valve managed to go this far because how easy it was to mod the game,
and they were interested in their community because it was smart (community of modders) and loyal to the company and the engine for smth around 10 years,
but now they have a shitload of money from tf2(the game which I've BOUGHT FOR FULL PRICE AND GOT NOTHING INSTEAD) and portal2 shopthingie.

They won't put an effort to keep modders comunity happy because they're not profitable (we create content instead buying it)

BTW. Now, I don't feel guilty for NS'ing valve games...

Time to move over to Cryengine 2...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:38:50 PM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
Did a bit of testing with the SteamPipe files of Half-Life 2 and, much to my surprise, noticed no real compatibility issues at all.

I seemed to have assumed the worst possible scenario and thought that all HL2 GCF files would be removed. It looks like the majority of the models, textures, etc SMOD uses come from the Source SDK Base shared GCFs, and those (probably) won't be affected by the SteamPipe transition.

Looks like the worst that'll happen is that you'll have to fix HL2's SteamPipe version in the same way you can with CS:S and HL2:DM. Annoying? Yes, but hardly the end of the world.

Sorry for getting you all worked up. :-\

(Also, let's keep the Valve bashing to reasonable levels. I don't want to see talk about pirating their games in here)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:29:56 PM by Onemanshow »

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
Did a bit of testing with the SteamPipe files of Half-Life 2 and, much to my surprise, noticed no real compatibility issues at all.

I seemed to have assumed the worst possible scenario and thought that all HL2 GCF files would be removed. It looks like the majority of the models, textures, etc SMOD uses come from the Source SDK Base shared GCFs, and those (probably) won't be affected by the SteamPipe transition.

Looks like the worst that'll happen is that you'll have to fix HL2's SteamPipe version in the same way you can with CS:S and HL2:DM. Annoying? Yes, but hardly the end of the world.

(Also, let's keep the Valve bashing to reasonable levels. I don't want to see talk about pirating their games in here)

I guess VALVe hasnt forgot about us completely.

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife

I'm glat that everything will work, but in that case we will use steam, only to launch the smod, because any other fetures/models/etc. are now "3rd party" or at least they're outside of steam.

(does this even make any sense?)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:13:38 PM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Xamp

• Xamp has no influence.
I was getting really worried about all this, good thing Valve isn't doing as bad as we thought.

On wall duty again