Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Future of bsnooch.  (Read 2937 times)

Offline HentaiSpirit

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • HentaiSpirit has no influence.
Re: Future of bsnooch.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
Time to move on to newer engine maybe, atleast csgo or BMS
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp !

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
Time to move on to newer engine maybe, atleast csgo or BMS

Neither of which have publicly available source code. And even if they did, you would have to port all of Half-Life 2's code and content to those engine branches before you could even start with SMOD features. While I totally think an SMOD-alike needs to be on the 2007/2013 engine, anything later than that is impractical or impossible. Its the same complain I have with mods that go "Screw this engine, we're moving to Unreal 4!". Yes, its a modern engine, but you throw out all the ready-made assets and code you have as a mod, and now have to make everything from scratch, and that usually ends up killing these projects once the initial burst of enthusiasm is over.

Frankly, I don't think we're ever going to see anything like SMOD again. The Source community is dying out and the Half-Life community is effectively dead - the only places truly active are Garry's Mod, CSGO (which is only mapping and weapon skins), TF2 (who's glory days have passed), and, on a good day, Source Filmmaker. Few coders want to work with something as archaic and poorly documented as Source is. Experienced coders even less so. And among those who actually want to work with Source, nobody wants to make the kind of single-player campaign sandbox that SMOD was. I'm not sure what the causes were, but I've never felt that Source modding, with the exception of Garry's Mod and Black Mesa, ever reached the heights that GoldSrc did.

Valve also had a role in it - SteamPipe wrecked havoc with mods (none the least is SMOD itself) and SDK 2013/Greenlight SDK is (or was, at least) a mess that ended up killing several mods that were in development due to bugs and Valve's lack of support. Obsidian Conflict, Action Half-Life 2, and a whole host of others died or are dead in the water because Valve only went half-way with SteamPipe before ditching Source 1 support and leaving the community to fend for itself.

I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong and make something that effectively replaces SMOD. But I've been waiting for years already and it hasn't happened.

Offline Bitl

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:30 AM »
I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong and make something that effectively replaces SMOD. But I've been waiting for years already and it hasn't happened.

;)
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don