Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Solved] Setting up SMOD Redux 8 for steam-pipe version of HL2  (Read 16457 times)

Offline jumperownz

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • jumperownz has no influence.
As the title says, I wan't to know how to properly setup smod redux 10 aka smod redux 8 to new version of Half-Life 2 (steampipe).

I have installed following games:

Half-life 2
Half-life 2: Lost Coast
Half-life 2: Deathmatch

I downloaded smod redux from this link:  http://www.moddb.com/mods/smod/downloads/smod-redux-version-10-v2
Because its the latest version of smod redux, and everyone seems to say its working.

Now since Half-Life 2, LC and DM have updated to Steam-Pipe version, GCFs to VPKs I wan't to know how to fully install and get Smod working.

Sorry if I confused you, and yes I did read the How to fix Smod tutorial. (I still don't get it)  :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:17:09 PM by jumperownz »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: [Help] Setting up SMOD Redux 8 for steam-pipe version of HL2
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
SMOD redux 10 is NOT the latest version of redux. OMS stopped working on it after Redux 8. This is fan made.

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
Ok, but its still recommended downloading it?
Redux v10

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »
Oh comon!!! Anyone can help me?!

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
"v10" is just v8 with all the addon packs attached and some improved normals on guns, no other difference really.

I have the same problem, attempting to start the game wields no result, as of yesterday. I have properly detached the files but it still won't start.
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Blue_Sloth

• Blue_Sloth has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
stick with v8 and just install custom addons yaself.

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
*Edit*
Ok so I have HL2, DM and LC on the steam-pipe version, I just launched smod and it gives me out error:

Can't find background image 'materials/console/background01.vtf'

The game launches , but it doesn't find background, any ideas?

*edit2*
Just extracted console folder from hl2 backgrounds, hm now it says "could not load library client"

*Edit3*

Aperantly if you install source sdk base 2006, smod should work! Im testing that now.
Ok source sdk base 2006 is not helping at all!

Smod is officially broken!

Oh and read this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828938532638150996/

Doesn't matter with which version I stick with, I just need to know how in the world to mount SMOD working with new STEAM-PIPE update!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:28:01 AM by jumperownz »

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
Most likely it doesn't work anymore. I had it working just fine a few days ago and now clicking the start button on steam or on the desktop does nothing. After the steampipe updated something or other, smod no longer works at all. The rules seem to have been changed until someone figures this one out.

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Great! Smod is dead forever... well until OMS fixes it (if he ever will care).
I really hope that someone who is skilled enoug, could fix smod for new source engine and make it work fine and dandy.

Do you know onemanshow's steam account? I could try contacting him.

Offline Pangia

• Pangia has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
Why you won't PM him here?

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
Seems like it works now, the "clicking on the game does nothing" thing is, atleast. I have linked the game to external files extracted from the old cgfs, so I can't answer for the ones who haven't done this already.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
I'm not sure what, exactly, your problem is here. Can you explain in more detail? Do you have the HL2 gcfs still in your steamapps folder? Did you install SMOD in the steammods folder? Are you trying to run SMOD on linux or mac?

I wrote a tutorial specifically to try and get around the issues caused by the SteamPipe update, so I very much do care about SMOD. I don't have access to the source code of SMOD, so I can never officially fix problems like this.

You said you can't follow the tutorial, so can you say exactly what you don't understand about it?

Also, just who had the bright idea to make mods of Redux and name them things like Version 9 Version 2 and Version 10? I'm not adverse to others making their own mods using Redux, but naming them in such a way is rather irksome and just confuses people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:52:58 PM by Onemanshow »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
I'm not sure what, exactly, your problem is here. Can you explain in more detail? Do you have the HL2 gcfs still in your steamapps folder? Did you install SMOD in the steammods folder? Are you trying to run SMOD on linux or mac?

I wrote a tutorial specifically to try and get around the issues caused by the SteamPipe update, so I very much do care about SMOD. I don't have access to the source code of SMOD, so I can never officially fix problems like this.

You said you can't follow the tutorial, so can you say exactly what you don't understand about it?

Also, just who had the bright idea to make mods of Redux and name them things like Version 9 Version 2 and Version 10? I'm not adverse to others making their own mods using Redux, but naming them in such a way is rather irksome and just confuses people.

Completely agreed. Its like earning credits for something you havent done. Anyways, I guess I simply wont start the normal HL2, Im afraid it breaks anything, even tough OMS tutorial exists. I rather then install some mod without any custom skins etc. and simply play the original maps trough that mod. As we germans say "das selbe in grün", wich means "same in green".

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »
Onemanshow, Im running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I also don't get your tutorial abit, I did update HL2 to steam-pipe beta, do I have to revert it back so it redownloads gcfs? then extract gcfs, and make smod read the extracted 4gb folder?
Since Lost coast and deathmatch are already on beta.. well I think only DM, not sure. Do I have to extract steampipe version of deathmatch to a folder, then make smod read it?

Also what about gameinfo.txt what ID should smod have? 215?

Sry if I confused you!

Offline jumperownz

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
*edit*
Ok it appears that source sdk base 2006... is in steam-pipe format too, atleast steam asks me to convert it, hell just backup the GCFs and later on add the them back to steamapps folder.
Hm I will experiment with HL2 on steam-pipe version with smod, see if smod works!

Heres pic of my steamapps folder:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/SUPER_JUMPER/steamappsfolder_zps3d7cadf7.jpg

Holy pine apple!! I just figured how to fix smod redux 8. Its actually so simple all you have to do is install source sdk base 2006, and thats it!! It will work like charm!

Now Im not sure if steam-pipe affects smod or it doesn't but SDK BASE 2006 isn't steam-pipe version, so it works!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:15:16 AM by jumperownz »