Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Converting maps to 2004?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Nullen

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Nullen has no influence.
Converting maps to 2004?
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Is there a way to convert maps back to the 2004 version of the source engine? A lot of the more recent maps I try running in Smod cause the game to crash when I attempt to load them.

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
Re: Converting maps to 2004?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
There's no perfect way to convert any newer maps to the 2004 engine as I can remember. You can, however, attempt a decompile of the maps and recompile them for the 2004 engine (But do expect oddness) after editing in some fixes. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Decompiling_Maps
._. I love coffee.

Offline Nullen

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Nullen has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
Oops, I think I meant 2006. Is there anything I should know before compiling the maps for Smod?

edit: For some reason none of the 2006 tools are opening and "Edit Game Configurations" doesn't do anything either.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:49:19 PM by Nullen »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
Oops, I think I meant 2006. Is there anything I should know before compiling the maps for Smod?

edit: For some reason none of the 2006 tools are opening and "Edit Game Configurations" doesn't do anything either.
You need to use an OB game as a base, like HL2: DM and edit the build file paths, so they use ep1 vbsp.exe etc. That worked for me. However fixing the maps is a big pain, you will mostly encounter ugly lightning problems, wich only can get fixed by rebuilding all the geometry in the area, as well as missing entities, models and textures. Not to forget that several brush entities like areaportals will be broken. Also it could be that you need to edit the .fgd file.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:56:18 AM by Counter-Life™ »