Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Solved] How to make a "sway" viewbob like the one in Crylife?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
[Solved] How to make a "sway" viewbob like the one in Crylife?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:22 AM »
When I played the Black Mesa and the Smod Crylife (both are awesome mods), I noticed that when player is moving left or right, the firstperson view seems to rotate a bit. It's really an interesting feature and increases immersion a lot. So I want to know how it was done. I'll be thankful if anyone can give a hint or two.  :D And a complete tutorial will be SUPER!

So this is the answer:

I have an answer for you: sv_rollangle. Vanilla HL2 has it set to 0 for no effect, while Black Mesa uses a value of 3.5. You can also play with sv_rollspeed (default/BMS: 200) to adjust how quickly the view tilts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:01:50 AM by gpgpgpgp »

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: [Request] How to make a "sway" viewbob like the one in Crylife?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »
I also was thinking about that, since viewbob kinda attaches the player view to the playermodel, Pepsi might edited the anims of the playermodel to move to the site. Not sure tough.

Offline gpgpgpgp

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
Thanks for replying, Counter-Life!
I have an idea. Maybe a cfg file could do the job.
Something like

Bind a +moveleft_special
Alias +moveleft_special "viewmodel_r blabla;wait;+moveleft"
Alias -moveleft_special "viewmodel_r normal;wait;-moveleft"

Haven't tested it yet. Hope it'll will work.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Thanks for replying, Counter-Life!
I have an idea. Maybe a cfg file could do the job.
Something like

Bind a +moveleft_special
Alias +moveleft_special "viewmodel_r blabla;wait;+moveleft"
Alias -moveleft_special "viewmodel_r normal;wait;-moveleft"

Haven't tested it yet. Hope it'll will work.

That would rotate/move the viewmodel, but not the players view, I guess only Pepsi can give us the answere.

Offline Rook

• Rook has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
I have an answer for you: sv_rollangle. Vanilla HL2 has it set to 0 for no effect, while Black Mesa uses a value of 3.5. You can also play with sv_rollspeed (default/BMS: 200) to adjust how quickly the view tilts.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »

*extreme flashback* NOW I remember, when i was playing around with HL2 beta, I somehow saw that command being enabled on multiplayer.

Offline gpgpgpgp

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
Wow, it really works! Thank you Rook, you certainly have a great knowledge of cvars. The sv_rollangle and sv_rollspeed work perfectly well.

Modified the first post to quote your answer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:18:12 AM by gpgpgpgp »

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
Re: [Solved] How to make a "sway" viewbob like the one in Crylife?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »

Ding! ding! ding! you have won  :D although I've put it in skill.cfg, because for some reason it was changing back to 0 after map change.

Yes it's sv_rollangle and sv_rollspeed.

EDIT: try setting the values in hundreds , eg:  sv_rollangle 500 sv_rollspeed 300 :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:53:26 AM by Pepsifan04 »
Officially Unofficial BSNOOCH Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/eBqezeR