Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SMOD being VERY unstable - help!  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Vedad1944

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Vedad1944 has no influence.
SMOD being VERY unstable - help!
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
I just can't get to the bottom of this, I added 3 guns to the game, set the override class to spawn them, and with just 4 cops shooting at me for about 10 seconds causes the game to crash.
I tried with 100 cops - OK, as soon as they start shooting it takes again 10 seconds and the game crashes
Vanilla SMOD works fine but as soon as I modify one script or aspect of the mod it loves to crash.
What I tried:
- Added LAA to the hl2.exe (no difference except +10 fps)
- Increased heapsize of the game to 2 GB (the console confirms that and no difference)
- Set the ragdolls to default (since ragdolls fell trough the map VERY often and caused it instantly to crash)
- Turned off friendly fire for enemies (this made it crash a bit less)
Note: Any other modified version of SMOD (Redux, Outbreak, Realism) work just fine.
I am  using the latest piped version of SMOD.
The 3 gun models are just re-used CSS models with the w_models rigged to work with Half-life 2
Typing "memory" into the console states that the total used memory is about 200 MB (most being used for model textures)

Suggestions anyone?

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
Re: SMOD being VERY unstable - help!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Show what the override class document looks like. It is known to at times blend multiple guns into one if done incorrectly.
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »
Show what the override class document looks like. It is known to at times blend multiple guns into one if done incorrectly.
Code: [Select]
OverrideClasses
{
"default_map" {

"weapon_pistol" {
"weapon_custom2" "34"
"weapon_custom3" "33"
"weapon_custom5" "33"
}
}

There, thanks for the reply  :)

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
if you're using "bullettimesim_always_on 1" you should check max amount of bullets and try changing smod graphical effects: lights,bloom,particles ect,ect
(especially bloom and lights)
Officially Unofficial BSNOOCH Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/eBqezeR

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
if you're using "bullettimesim_always_on 1" you should check max amount of bullets and try changing smod graphical effects: lights,bloom,particles ect,ect
(especially bloom and lights)
I am not using bullettimesim and lowering the effects does not make it better, however I have noticed that it only happens when i add a custom weapon (specifically), editing the mapadd makes the entire mapadd script not load.  :(
I can't do much without weapon_custom or the mapadd.

Offline Pepsifan04

• Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »
are you using some kind of template for your custom weapons (like "weapon_custom##" with everything, only without values) that might be the problem...
Note: Any other modified version of SMOD (Redux, Outbreak, Realism) work just fine.
then why not take Redux for example and start modding it, then remove all unused content.
plus, if it will start crashing, you'll know that is fault of some of your models or stuff :/

also on unrelated note:
lately my SMOD was crashing furiously (30 sec and crash) and it was fault of my graphics card dying, but I think it's not the case here

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
then why not take Redux for example and start modding it, then remove all unused content.
plus, if it will start crashing, you'll know that is fault of some of your models or stuff :/
Well OMS gave me permission to modify Redux but even Redux started to crash!
So its definitely my models which crash my SMOD, I only rigged the w_models and thats it, but when I remade a model yesterday it worked fine. Thanks pepsifan :)

The mapadd is still giving me problems, as in not loading on any type of edit. BIZ helped me and tested the mapadd and it worked but it won't load for me. Anyone had a problem similar?

Offline Pepsifan04

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
I've checked your script from topic earlier; try checking lua part of the code cause it also makes mappadd not load if there's "bug" in it.

Other than that, I have no idea sorry :(

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
I've checked your script from topic earlier; try checking lua part of the code cause it also makes mappadd not load if there's "bug" in it.

Other than that, I have no idea sorry :(
Well I do NOT know what I did, but the mapadd loaded with no problem, and the game didn't crash after 2 and a half hours of thorough testing, what I DO know is that any HL2 or SMOD weapon can be modified like weapon_custom.txt (so I don't have to use custom weps)   :D

Problem solved!