Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Why no source code?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Why no source code?
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
No, but seriously: why someone can't just rip it out?
Isn't it possible to decompile the entire mod once it's loaded in Source SDK? Or isn't it possible to do with third-party programs? This problem always was an itch in my head, and it also quite didn't make sense why didn't anybody try to get the source code.
Can't you really decompile it, or are you too scared to redistribute it?

If this goes on, I'll store the source code of SMMOD (if it's available, I'm not sure) in some cryogenic storage so that it would be there for a veeeery long time.

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Why no source code?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
SMOD's source code is a lost legend sadly. Maybe he'll release it soon due to underhell possibly having something to due with him, but who knows?

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
There are rumors that it's somewhere floating in the internet...it's kinda mysterious.

But yeah, if you decompile .dlls only like 20% of the code will be decoded in a "read-able". So sadly thats not really an option.

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
There are rumors that it's somewhere floating in the internet...it's kinda mysterious.

But yeah, if you decompile .dlls only like 20% of the code will be decoded in a "read-able". So sadly thats not really an option.

T_T If only I could figure out how to decompile so I can examine that 20% for SMMOD's development.
._. I love coffee.

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
SMOD's source code is a lost legend sadly. Maybe he'll release it soon due to underhell possibly having something to due with him, but who knows?

That is if The Author actually is alive to this point. It's actually a mystery if The Author actually worked with the Underhell team, nobody can confirm that. If you can, proof.

Offline Comrade

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »

What about the 80% that's left? Are they some sort of magical glyphs that don't make sense or is the code encrypted? (stupid idea, but who knows)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:24:09 PM by Antivirus_404 »

Offline Counter-Life™

• Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

What about the 80% that's left? Are they some sort of magical glyphs that don't make sense or is the code encrypted? (stupid idea, but who knows)

They are just completely messed up, parts of codes are missing and stuff like that.

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
That is if The Author actually is alive to this point. It's actually a mystery if The Author actually worked with the Underhell team, nobody can confirm that. If you can, proof.

Mxthe posted here that The SMOD Author had no direct involvement with Underhell:

Quote from: Mxthe
I did not work with "The Author" directly, what I did, like many others, is request specific features for the Mod, that would help the development of Underhell.
Without directly answering to me, the features were added in the next versions of SMOD, as you can see from my suggestions post on the official forums:
http://accept.hopto.org/smod/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=83f3b1fe093c2b7cf9d30dc3bff109fa

Quote from: Mxthe
I am unfortunately, not in touch with The Author anymore, his whereabouts are unknown to me, as they are to everyone else.
I was only privileged to see so many ideas I suggested implemented into the mod, but then again, if you look at the suggestions forums, most posts are by me.
I was really, over excited, and really active over this, and some of my suggestions were a bit exaggerated.

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
Whoops, guess I'm talking out my ass again.

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »
i think giovanni tried to decompile smod once upon a time with .net reflector or something....

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
It's not impossible... but it's shitload of work to do, and even if you do that, you can't 100% you've got the code right.

Explanation in lame terms:
Machine code (weird symbols) ->  Assembler (programming lang. that sends inputs directly to your processor) -> C++ (lag. in which smod was written originally)

but it's impossible to "decompile" comments and other similar stuff (like test, commented-out code) because compiler simply removes them for better code optimization
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline IronCore

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • IronCore has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
Someone should try again who knows there probably better decompiling tools now.
I'm so in-love to SMOD...PERIOD!

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
Decomplying C++ dll is complicated and ... Well, unrewarding. It'll take more time to figure out what those highly optimized machine codes mean than to start a new Smod from scratch.

So, why not contact the Underhell team. Seems they've built a lot of features just like Smod.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:53:43 PM by gpgpgpgp »

Offline Comrade

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
Decomplying C++ dll is complicated and ... Well, unrewarding. It'll take more time to figure out what those highly optimized machine codes mean than to start a new Smod from scratch.

So, why not contact the Underhell team. Seems they've built a lot of features just like Smod.
Those "optimized machine codes" are simply ones and zeros. The processor can't actually read anything else than that. You DO know that a processor is basically an overkill calculator, right?

It actually makes me wonder how did the Underhell team script in new features if you can't.

Offline Counter-Life™

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »

Those "optimized machine codes" are simply ones and zeros. The processor can't actually read anything else than that. You DO know that a processor is basically an overkill calculator, right?

It actually makes me wonder how did the Underhell team script in new features if you can't.

You seem to forget that this dosen't make the code less complex. The code just get transformed into something the PC can actually read.