Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Map transition crashes (again)  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
Map transition crashes (again)
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
Sorry to ask about this again, but this seem to make little sense. I am testing the campaign and maps crash on transition of various reasons, all which worked fine last time. I have had to modify mapadd scripts for the growingly draconic standards of the engine's stability, each time I play through the game it seem to create new errors.

The following solutions have worked this time around:
-Remove random scripted events from mapadd
-Remove large numbers of physic objects from mapadd
-Remove enemies from mapadd
-Remove one specific object from mapadd (chosen at random by the map transition gods)
-Remove precache (yes, really)
-Remove mapadd script alltogether (even one that loads nothing causes crashes)

The strangest issue is the map d3_c17_05, which cannot be loaded at all through transition, regardless if there is a mapadd script or not. Like before, this only happens with map transition, starting the map from the console works fine. Why certain map act like this and why one refuses to work without even a mapadd script confuses me. I even tried playing the previous map with no mapadd (as some objects will transition) but it didn't work either.

EDIT: Upon d3_c17_05's crash, the save folder is given the following files:
d3_c17_01.hl1
d3_c17_01.hl2
d3_c17_01.hl3
d3_c17_02.hl1
d3_c17_02.hl2
d3_c17_02.hl3
d3_c17_03.hl1
d3_c17_03.hl2
d3_c17_03.hl3
d3_c17_04.hl1
d3_c17_04.hl2
d3_c17_04.hl3

What is this? The .hl1 and .hl2 files are partially readable, and contain some random data regarding files on those maps or the player, but I can't make much out beyond a few mentions of some textures (which are default), the player model and d3_c17_02.hl2's information is wavelike, mentioning bullethole and blood textures with the text organized in waves for each subtype of decal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:15:57 PM by Troggy Hordesman »
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: Map transition crashes (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
Sorry to ask about this again, but this seem to make little sense. I am testing the campaign and maps crash on transition of various reasons, all which worked fine last time. I have had to modify mapadd scripts for the growingly draconic standards of the engine's stability, each time I play through the game it seem to create new errors.

The following solutions have worked this time around:
-Remove random scripted events from mapadd
-Remove large numbers of physic objects from mapadd
-Remove enemies from mapadd
-Remove one specific object from mapadd (chosen at random by the map transition gods)
-Remove precache (yes, really)
-Remove mapadd script alltogether (even one that loads nothing causes crashes)

The strangest issue is the map d3_c17_05, which cannot be loaded at all through transition, regardless if there is a mapadd script or not. Like before, this only happens with map transition, starting the map from the console works fine. Why certain map act like this and why one refuses to work without even a mapadd script confuses me. I even tried playing the previous map with no mapadd (as some objects will transition) but it didn't work either.

EDIT: Upon d3_c17_05's crash, the save folder is given the following files:
d3_c17_01.hl1
d3_c17_01.hl2
d3_c17_01.hl3
d3_c17_02.hl1
d3_c17_02.hl2
d3_c17_02.hl3
d3_c17_03.hl1
d3_c17_03.hl2
d3_c17_03.hl3
d3_c17_04.hl1
d3_c17_04.hl2
d3_c17_04.hl3

What is this? The .hl1 and .hl2 files are partially readable, and contain some random data regarding files on those maps or the player, but I can't make much out beyond a few mentions of some textures (which are default), the player model and d3_c17_02.hl2's information is wavelike, mentioning bullethole and blood textures with the text organized in waves for each subtype of decal.

*scratches head*
You may want to copy/paste all of the old maps, if you have them. I don't want to mention this, but almost every pirated copy of HL2 contains maps that work flawlessly with SMOD.
To be honest, sounds like a map issue for me.

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
I copied all maps from an old .vpk I had on one of my older drivers and run the game through them. Worked perfectly last time.

The only information I can gather from crashes is that it detects the error through "datacache.dll", since I cannot find this file in the smod libraries it must be a file in the vanilla hl2 folder, but since I haven't touched that file since last time it makes little sense.

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
I copied all maps from an old .vpk I had on one of my older drivers and run the game through them. Worked perfectly last time.

The only information I can gather from crashes is that it detects the error through "datacache.dll", since I cannot find this file in the smod libraries it must be a file in the vanilla hl2 folder, but since I haven't touched that file since last time it makes little sense.
*scratches head really hard*
That's actually a weird problem you've got there. All of the mapadds I've tested seem to work flawlessly, never had an issue related to mapadds. Maybe it's because I use old files..?

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
The files are about two years old, but even using other versions of the map causes the same problem. Again, loading the map in console works fine, but transition crashes. The weird ".hl#" files that showed up in the save folder all had names that suggested that the map was somehow connected to previous maps (d3_c17_01-04) so maybe there is an answer in that?

Offline Comrade

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »
The files are about two years old, but even using other versions of the map causes the same problem. Again, loading the map in console works fine, but transition crashes. The weird ".hl#" files that showed up in the save folder all had names that suggested that the map was somehow connected to previous maps (d3_c17_01-04) so maybe there is an answer in that?
Ladies and gentlemen, I have to announce that we have found an SMOD mapadd mystery.
Whoever solves this will get a medal.

Actually it may be an issue with the lua files, have you tried removing those? Or at least getting them out of the mapadd folder?

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
There are no .lua files connected to any of the d3_c17 maps, or do you mean they can cause errors be simply being in the folder? That seems unlikely, but wouldn't surprise me with how weird things are turning out.

Offline Comrade

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
There are no .lua files connected to any of the d3_c17 maps, or do you mean they can cause errors be simply being in the folder? That seems unlikely, but wouldn't surprise me with how weird things are turning out.
What I was trying to say is that you had some lua files that caused errors, but seeing that there are no lua files, my theory falls apart.
Good luck man, I just can't help you anymore. Out of ideas.

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
My guess is that the maps (01-05) are connected and since weapons never dissipate unless picked up, it gets problems with generating all of them. The only solution I can think of is limiting the number of weapons used on the maps. I noticed this as the short Leon campaign also crashes in a similar fashion halfway through.

Offline Vedad1944

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Vedad1944 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
Hmm, what I think is that those are dump files what can tell you what crashes the game (this is just a theory).
Now about the crash itself, try loading the crashing maps trough the console and then type the "memory" command and paste the results here.
On map transition basically what happens is the game keeps the loaded files (in the RAM) and loads additional files (eg. the random weapons you placed in the maps, their textures etc.). While loading from console the game dumps all the files and re-loads them instead of recycling the like map transitions
Smod by default uses only 256mb of RAM (which is tiny for today's machines) regardless of how much you have, and the LAA fix that Counter-Life found enabled the game to use as much as it needed to, BUT what worked (for me atleast) was setting the heapsize of the game to 512000.
OR if your game uses more than 500 mb raise it to 1024000 (1 GB).
It HAS (partially) solved MY crash problems such as sinking ragdolls and props (weird but worked magically), map transition crashes, random gameplay crashes, intensive battle crashes and made the override_class work (usually it reports entities replaced while nothing happened).
Oh and just add "- heapsize 512000" to the launch options of your SMOD in case you don't know set the heapsize.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALSO, my game crashed with faulty models, which I rigged for use by NPCs but after 40-50 seconds of them using the weapon itself made the game crash (regardless of how many models are loaded). So check your w_models if the GUN bone is rigged to the mesh instead of the ROOT bone (this completely solved my crash problems and I have not seen a crash in 2-3 weeks now).

Hope I helped  :D