Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sound replacement via sentence.txt in smod redux 8?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Pile_up

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pile_up has no influence.
Sound replacement via sentence.txt in smod redux 8?
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
As thus far i have managed to change the death sounds of metropolice. And now i am attempting to do a whole sound replacement myself for a quick chuckle. I've looked up everywhere but i can't find anything on this topic thus far.
I changed the death sounds for metrocops, but now i want to start replacing everything else. So i decided to try change the baton activate sound, so when the baton is activated they say something else. But for some reason it doesn't work. Sounds are all in the correct place are all in WAV format. This is the example of the sentence used. As i looked in console when they withdrew the baton and it didn't say it couldn't find it. But it just didn't play any sound at all :C

"// Take out my baton
METROPOLICE_ACTIVATE_BATON0 npc/metropolice/activatebaton {(v100) on1 issuingmalcompliantcitation off3 {Len 1.5}"

Thats the one i put in sentences.txt. As after replacing the death sound in a sentence it can't find any of the other sounds so i'm doing a pack. But like i just put up there. It can't play the sound :c Any clues on this one? I'd be grateful if anyone has a answer to this. Cheers. And. anything i'm doing wrong?
And one because i have ammo left....

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: Sound replacement via sentence.txt in smod redux 8?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »
Why don't you simply replace the default sound? It's much much much more easier and it will always work.

Offline Pile_up

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Guessing i could its just annoying as wouldn't it replace the original hl2 sounds? As far as i know the steampipe working version of redux 8 directs itself to hl2's sounds in a vpk. But i'm not sure. Could be wrong. And i wanted to make easy to put in and put out sound packs without overwriting.

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
The sound in question activates rarely. You should start with the ones you know you will hear alot (such as the Man Down).
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Rook

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Rook has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
One possibility is that HL2 has found the sound just fine, but can't play it because of the exact format. I ran into that issue when I first did weapon replacement stuff eons ago. You should keep to 16-bit PCM WAVs, with a max range of 44KHz.

Offline Pile_up

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
Ah. It was higher than 16 bit. I was going for 32 bit float. And i didn't know the sound activates rarely. I'll start working on some sounds soon and report if it works.

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
from https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sentences.txt

// Take out my baton
METROPOLICE_ACTIVATE_BATON0 npc/metropolice/vo/(v100) on1 issuingmalcompliantcitation off3 {Len 1.5}
METROPOLICE_ACTIVATE_BATON1 npc/metropolice/vo/(v100) on1 pacifying off4 {Len 1.5}
METROPOLICE_ACTIVATE_BATON2 npc/metropolice/vo/(v100) on1 off3 {Len 1.5}

Yours:
METROPOLICE_ACTIVATE_BATON0 npc/metropolice/activatebaton {(v100) on1 issuingmalcompliantcitation off3 {Len 1.5}

Maybe it's stupid to ask... What's that extra "{" for?

Offline Pile_up

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
Well that extra { Must have been a slip on my behalf. And tested it on other sounds. What also didn't help was audacity screwing around and exporting messed up wav's. Made a new one and worked like a charm. Everything's all good. Cheers ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for your help!