Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: (I think I'm onto something) SMOD just shit itself  (Read 7025 times)

Offline PaiCrai

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • PaiCrai has no influence.
Re: (pls gif mor halp) SMOD just shit itself
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
umm... wtf is that
I had the same issues once, never solved them. Sorry, I really can't help you at all.

It's the exact same mod I've played most of the time before the Steampipe thing. I stopped after that, got a new computer and installed it again and now it's got cancer.
smignature

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
maybe inspect your video card. I had weird errors like that a long time ago when I had popped a cap on my video card.  :-\

Offline PaiCrai

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »
maybe inspect your video card. I had weird errors like that a long time ago when I had popped a cap on my video card.  :-\

I've actually suspected my video card for being the culprit in a lot of things, thanks for reminding me. I'll get it checked out.
smignature

Offline PaiCrai

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »

I just realized it's just in SMOD this is happening though...
smignature

Offline PaiCrai

Re: (I think I'm onto something) SMOD just shit itself
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
I loaded the maps in HL2 and the problems persisted. This means I have to fix Half Life 2, not SMOD. I just need to know what to do to fix HL2.
Heeeeeelp
smignature

Offline Monkatraz

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
Delete your local content, go to the common folder and make sure all of HL2 is deleted, then reinstall.
MLG

Offline PaiCrai

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
Delete your local content, go to the common folder and make sure all of HL2 is deleted, then reinstall.

such nothing

much useless

wow sry

plz more suggest
smignature

Offline Vedad1944

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Vedad1944 has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
Can you post the entire gameinfo.txt here?

Offline PaiCrai

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Can you post the entire gameinfo.txt here?

"GameInfo"
{
   game       "SMOD: Tactical Version 1.0"
   title       "SMOD: Tactical Version 1.0"
   type      "singleplayer_only"
 "developer"      "The SMOD Author, Phatcat, Onemanshow and others"
 "developer_url"      "http://www.smod-tactical.com"   
   "icon"       "smodicon"

FileSystem
   {
      SteamAppId            215      // This will mount all the GCFs we need (240=CS:S, 220=HL2).
      ToolsAppId            211      // Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

SearchPaths
      {
         Game            |gameinfo_path|.
         Game            hl2
      }
   }
}

"GameInfo"
{
   game       "HALF-LIFE 2"
   title       "HALF-LIFE'"
   type      singleplayer_only

FileSystem
   {
      SteamAppId            220      // This will mount all the GCFs we need (240=CS:S, 220=HL2).

//
      // The code that loads this file automatically does a few things here:
      //
      // 1. For each "Game" search path, it adds a "GameBin" path, in <dir>\bin
      // 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
      //    For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
      // 3. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "MOD".
      // 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
      //

//
      // Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
      //
      // |gameinfo_path| points at the directory where gameinfo.txt is.
      // We always want to mount that directory relative to gameinfo.txt, so
      // people can mount stuff in c:\mymod, and the main game resources are in
      // someplace like c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\half-life 2.
      //
      SearchPaths
      {
         // First, mount all user customizations.  This will search for VPKs and subfolders
         // and mount them in alphabetical order.  The easiest way to distribute a mod is to
         // pack up the custom content into a VPK.  To "install" a mod, just drop it in this
         // folder.
         //
         // Note that this folder is scanned only when the game is booted.
         game+mod         hl2/custom/*

// We search VPK files before ordinary folders, because most files will be found in
         // VPK and we can avoid making thousands of file system calls to attempt to open files
         // in folders where they don't exist.  (Searching a VPK is much faster than making an operating
         // system call.)
         game_lv            hl2/hl2_lv.vpk
         game+mod         hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk
         game+mod         hl2/hl2_pak.vpk
         game            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_textures.vpk
         game            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_misc.vpk
         game            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_misc.vpk
         platform         |all_source_engine_paths|platform/platform_misc.vpk

// Now search loose files.  We'll set the directory containing the gameinfo.txt file
         // as the first "mod" search path (after any user customizations).  This is also the one
         // that's used when writing to the "mod" path.
         mod+mod_write+default_write_path      |gameinfo_path|.

// Add the HL2 directory as a game search path.  This is also where where writes
         // to the "game" path go.
         game+game_write      hl2

// Where the game's binaries are
         gamebin            hl2/bin

// Last, mount in shared HL2 loose files
         game            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
         platform         |all_source_engine_paths|platform
      }
   }
}
smignature

Offline Dez

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Dez has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
I ran into a similar issue yesterday while playing SMOD: Tactical Delta 6, this was it looked like:

So I'm assuming we have the same issue. However, I found a solution that worked for me.

If you go to "Steam\SteamApps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike", you'll find a cstrike_pak_dir.vpk
Open that with GCFscape or a program of your choice.

I extracted all the materials from the .vpk to the smod folder, this was the result:

That fixed the textures, so I'm assuming it'll work for models and sounds as well. The only problem is that the textures alone cost over 1GB of space to extract, so I'm assuming extracting all the models and sounds over will be around 4-5GB of space, and I'm not sure whether or not you need to extract more. (edit: it was only about 1.3GB)

Either way, that's a temporary solution, so you may want to look into it.

EDIT:

Read through the thread again and evidently you've already tried this, which is strange because we both seem to be having the same issue on the same game, yet that solution worked for me. Maybe there's a different VPK you need to extract from but I think the main issue here is CSS not mounting properly. Make sure you've extracted everything to the right place, I guess. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:21:48 PM by Dez »

Offline PaiCrai

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
I ran into a similar issue yesterday while playing SMOD: Tactical Delta 6, this was it looked like:

So I'm assuming we have the same issue. However, I found a solution that worked for me.

If you go to "Steam\SteamApps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike", you'll find a cstrike_pak_dir.vpk
Open that with GCFscape or a program of your choice.

I extracted all the materials from the .vpk to the smod folder, this was the result:

That fixed the textures, so I'm assuming it'll work for models and sounds as well. The only problem is that the textures alone cost over 1GB of space to extract, so I'm assuming extracting all the models and sounds over will be around 4-5GB of space, and I'm not sure whether or not you need to extract more.

Either way, that's a temporary solution, so you may want to look into it.

EDIT:

Read through the thread again and evidently you've already tried this, which is strange because we both seem to be having the same issue on the same game, yet that solution worked for me. Maybe there's a different VPK you need to extract from but I think the main issue here is CSS not mounting properly. Make sure you've extracted everything to the right place, I guess. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thank you for being super useful :3 :D  :-*  ;D  :D  ;)  :)

I will try this as soon as I'm no longer dying from a fever or whatever the fuck.
smignature

Offline Dez

• Dez has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »
By the way, if it does work:

After you've extracted from the vpk to the SMOD folder, you'll need install smod again. When you extract from the vpk, it will overwrite a ton of gun models and sounds, which rolls them back to their CSS versions, which breaks a bunch of stuff. Installing SMOD again overwrites these files with their correct models and sounds while still maintaining the new materials and models you've moved over that it was previously missing.

(It didn't give me the option to not overwrite, it might give you that option, but if it doesn't then this should work.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:49:52 PM by Dez »

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
By the way, if it does work:

After you've extracted from the vpk to the SMOD folder, you'll need install smod again. When you extract from the vpk, it will overwrite a ton of gun models and sounds, which rolls them back to their CSS versions, which breaks a bunch of stuff. Installing SMOD again overwrites these files with their correct models and sounds while still maintaining the new materials and models you've moved over that it was previously missing.

Or if it asks to overwrite, just say no.

Offline Dez

• Dez has no influence.
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
Or if it asks to overwrite, just say no.
It never gave me the option, it just started overwriting.

I dunno, it might be different for PaiCrai. In the event that it doesn't, that should work.

Offline PaiCrai

Re: SMOD just shit itself
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Umm... then I'm out of ideas.
You could try to extract the CSS VPK's into SMOD. Same method.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post and not noticing you basically said the same as Dez  :(

Dez being gr8

Thanks to you too for helping me fix my poopy smod  ;D
smignature