Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SMOD: Opposing Force Remastered trial and error thread  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Vedad1944

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • Vedad1944 has no influence.
SMOD: Opposing Force Remastered trial and error thread
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Well, its been 3 months since I started working on this mod, mainly because I saw what potential SMOD had in general. I wanted to recreate the HL2 story-line, but with Adrian Shepard in the shoes of Gordon Freeman. I learned how to: model, texture, (de)compile, script, create custom weapons and mapadds and all the goodies that SMOD has to offer. Problems started appearing and I managed to solve them thanks to BSNOOCH and everyone on the forum (especially CL and Pepsifan) and the mod turned from a simple addon to a huge "standalone" SMOD.

Recently I started getting (what seem to be) "fatal" errors. I wish I could read the crash dump files but getting the right software for reading them is almost impossible so I'm down to TRIAL AND ERROR (hence the thread name).
I would hate to see the mod just sitting and no work get done since almost nothing stopped me from further developing and perfecting so far, now its different.

If anyone has suggestions to fix these errors which are usually a crash-type problem I would be VERY grateful and might even get a beta out until the end of January 2014. Note that I have both LAA installed and the heapsize set to 1GB. The LAA likes to remove itself but I keep it updated (yes I added the nolocalcopy and hushsteam in the launch options and it still gets replaced).

Lets start off with map triggers, crash on almost every map transition except in SOME parts of Ravenholm and the first 2 chapters.

Tried with mapadd disabled and the transitions worked flawlessly but on Valves original map triggers (like spawning entities or loading something in general) seem to "halt" the game for a second but it continues quickly. These "halts" sometimes turn to freezes and cause a crash. Other times it crashes nicely by giving me a prompt warning "too many indices for index buffer,... tell a programmer (biggernumbers>smallernumbers)" before crashing.
The game uses 680 MB RAM at all times but this seems not to be problem because I have a gig of ram and the LAA fix. Also, I tried blank mapadds but those crashed just like with disabled mapadds, then I noticed that certain mapadds contain "fixes" added by the_author which turn the freeze into the halts explained above but still don't fix the map transition crashes.

I have no idea what causes these crashes, pfft... hell might be my machine itself. My specs:
Genuine Intel Pentium 4 640 HT @ 3.2 GHz
3 GB of Dual channel DDR2 400 MHz RAM
Nvidia Ge-force 9400 GT 512 MB
09f0h Hewlett-Packard Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
Basically an upgraded HP Compaq DC7600 CMT.

Anyone with suggestions, please post below.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: SMOD: Opposing Force Remastered trial and error thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
I think it actually is your machine.

Could you possibly upload this mod here, just to see if I'm right and... you know... test it out, maybe?

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »
I don't think I am willing to upload 2 GB of files just for a testrun.
And I will upload it on the official website since downloading parts of the mod from mediafire seemed to cause difficulties (when I make it playable of course).
Thanks for the help anyway :)

EDIT: And another thing, Far Cry 3 on high didn't make problems unless I made the scene apocalyptic, so I think its rather the 06' Source Engine derping around. (GOD I wish the mod was built on 07' Source)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:51:56 PM by Vedad1944 »

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
It's NOT you PC, I'm running SMOD on much older machine and it's fine.

About crashes:
"too many indices for index buffer" is a mapadd error, that's all you need to know about that...
I'd suggest doing the same thing as you did with the weapon worldmodels, replace every single mapadd with ones that work for you (redux for eg), but do not overwrite them, remove the old ones first and then put working ones, see if that helps, if not, your mapadds are fine and you can revert to your files, also try not using lua or do the same thing as you did with the .txt mapadd.

About these "halts", I can't think of anything else than re-downloading Half-Life 2 and SDK2006, validating game files may help, also GCFScape has tool to defragment .GCF's, try doing that (only .gcf, I don't know what will happen if you defragment an .vpk)
and if you have any kind of advanced .cfg scripts or aliases (like I do) make sure that they're not replacing any existing command,
 double check your "override_class" "npc_weapon_randomize" "smodaclist" and "smod_custom_explosive"
Mapadd scripts can go in "loop" without causing game to freeze, but they will give you occasional halts, try checking that also.

2nd edit:
add"-condebug" to launch options, this will give you console log in your smod folder (works best with "developer 1")
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:54:25 AM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
Ok, I will perform all these suggestions and see what happens, will update soon.
Thanks Pepsifan  :)

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Well, the index buffer crashes seem to be resolved simply by precaching all of the custom weapons in the mapadds in ALL of the maps. Still getting unstoppable map transition crashes, but I noticed something while experimenting.
- If I disable mapadd trough the console (disable_loadmapadd 1) its a 70:30 chance of either crashing or not (often loading without a breeze), and if it does load - map triggers are the deadly ones.
- With mapadds enabled trough the console its a 100% chance to crash on transition, and map triggers rarely deadly and are tolerable enough to deal with.
- With blank mapadds its a 50:50 chance of crashing on transition or not and triggers are rarely SAFE, (a trigger when I approach the house with the combine binoculars in d2_coast_03 cause "halts" and continue quickly, while the other trigger just 100 meters down the coast when crossing a stream I ALWAYS crash).
- If mapadds contain anything, they contain this:
Code: [Select]
"precache" {
"entity" "npc_zombie"
"entity" "npc_poisonzombie"
"entity" "npc_fastzombie"
"entity" "npc_combine_s"
"entity" "weapon_custom1"
"entity" "weapon_custom2"
"entity" "weapon_custom3"
"entity" "weapon_custom4"
"entity" "weapon_custom5"
"entity" "weapon_custom6"
"entity" "weapon_custom7"
"entity" "weapon_custom8"
"entity" "weapon_custom9"
"entity" "weapon_custom10"
"entity" "weapon_custom11"
"entity" "weapon_custom12"
"entity" "weapon_custom13"
"entity" "weapon_custom14"
"entity" "weapon_custom17"
"entity" "weapon_custom18"
}
"entities" {
"instant_trig" {
"origin" "-7842.888184 -10278.599609 960.018494"
"keyvalues"
{
"radius" "5000"
"label" "goggles"
}
}
}
"entities:goggles" {

"point_clientcommand" {
"keyvalues" {
"targetname" "console"
}
}
"event" {
"targetname" "console"
"action" "command"
"value" "r_screenoverlay effects/combine_binocoverlay.vmt"
"delaytime" "0"
}

}
An r_screenoverlay command and precaching.
I don't think that this is "deadly" enough to cause such a problem.  :-\

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Do you have RT scopes on weapons?
Try precaching models of those weapons not ents, and don't precache every single weapon on all maps

- If I disable mapadd trough the console (disable_loadmapadd 1) its a 70:30 chance of either crashing or not (often loading without a breeze), and if it does load - map triggers are the deadly ones.
Remove the from the folder instead disabling them trough console, it may give different result.

Check your model polycount/tricount
optimize custom textures (you don't need 2048x2048px texture for a mug)

Any why are you using instant trig with origin? wouldn't it be easier to make it delayed without origin (creates on location of info_player_start, and you don't have to use massive radius) or use logic_auto with "is_pc" global
I also tend to use integers only for ent origin, unless you REALLY have to finetune something
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »
Well, after some experiments and testing, THE GAME ACTUALLY PLAYS!
What I did is re-did ALL the textures on ALL of the weapons, most of the VTF files were 15-20 MB in size, but after fixing they are 600-700 KB with no losses.
It used to use 670 MB of RAM, most of which are textures of models. Now it uses 330 MB and feels a lot smoother, triggers are harmless and map transitions are smooth!
SMOD: Opposing Force Remastered is back on track thanks to Pepsifan04!

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
Well, after some experiments and testing, THE GAME ACTUALLY PLAYS!
What I did is re-did ALL the textures on ALL of the weapons, most of the VTF files were 15-20 MB in size, but after fixing they are 600-700 KB with no losses.
It used to use 670 MB of RAM, most of which are textures of models. Now it uses 330 MB and feels a lot smoother, triggers are harmless and map transitions are smooth!
SMOD: Opposing Force Remastered is back on track thanks to Pepsifan04!

absolutely wonderful
but now i feel that the weapon texture quality took the shitter

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
absolutely wonderful
nope.avi
The models used uncompressed textures, they were like 20 MB in size, compressing them with DXT5 (atleast I think its called that) gave it un-changed quality, while shrinking the texture file to a mere 1MB.
Also I removed phong and bumpmaps from w_models and just left diffuse (as Pepsifan suggested).
I see:
-A 60% decrease of map load time from 30 seconds to 12-13 seconds
-40% increase in average FPS
-Triggers are MUCH more manageable ("halts" are now gone, and game freezes are tiny screen stutters)
-Model texture quality is the same

Offline Comrade

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
absolutely wonderful
nope.avi
The models used uncompressed textures, they were like 20 MB in size, compressing them with DXT5 (atleast I think its called that) gave it un-changed quality, while shrinking the texture file to a mere 1MB.
Also I removed phong and bumpmaps from w_models and just left diffuse (as Pepsifan suggested).
I see:
-A 60% decrease of map load time from 30 seconds to 12-13 seconds
-40% increase in average FPS
-Triggers are MUCH more manageable ("halts" are now gone, and game freezes are tiny screen stutters)
-Model texture quality is the same

i hope so... but i have no idea how can you compress a 2048^2 texture down to 1MB
i've tried to do it with DXT5 and it gave me... i dunno... about 5 MB size textures

Offline Vedad1944

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »
Well 5 MB is also more manageable than 20 MB, so lets say you got 30 weapons and each has atleast 20 MB of textures to load, 20MB*30weapons=600MB, while 5MB*30weapons=150MB.
So if you compress all your textures (including bumpmaps, specular and phongmaps), you'll use a quarter of RAM what you used to use.
My highest RAM usage was 690MB on coast maps while now it peaks at 340MB. (While having ALL weapon models loaded)
Since you don't get crappy quality I think you should give your mod some breathing air and compress those textures.
OMS said on the LAA tutorial thread that compressing textures is a MUST to keep your mod in tip-top condition.  :)

Offline Comrade

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
Well 5 MB is also more manageable than 20 MB, so lets say you got 30 weapons and each has atleast 20 MB of textures to load, 20MB*30weapons=600MB, while 5MB*30weapons=150MB.
So if you compress all your textures (including bumpmaps, specular and phongmaps), you'll use a quarter of RAM what you used to use.
My highest RAM usage was 690MB on coast maps while now it peaks at 340MB. (While having ALL weapon models loaded)
Since you don't get crappy quality I think you should give your mod some breathing air and compress those textures.
OMS said on the LAA tutorial thread that compressing textures is a MUST to keep your mod in tip-top condition.  :)
k, i'll keep that in mind