Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sounds not working?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline The Carrousel

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • The Carrousel has no influence.
Sounds not working?
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
OK, so whenever I access the sound folders for SMOD, SMOD: Outbreak, SMOD: Tactical and other SMOD mods, the sounds don't play. They just won't start. Installing the mod again does nothing- even when it is freshly downloaded, the sound still doesn't play. It worked before, but one day it just broke. Can anyone please help me?

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
Re: Sounds not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
OK, so whenever I access the sound folders for SMOD, SMOD: Outbreak, SMOD: Tactical and other SMOD mods, the sounds don't play. They just won't start. Installing the mod again does nothing- even when it is freshly downloaded, the sound still doesn't play. It worked before, but one day it just broke. Can anyone please help me?

I have no idea what you mean.
Try playing the sound files from the SMOD sound directory itself (with wmp, winamp, foobar2000 whatever) and see if they play.
Also, check if you didn't make stupid mistakes like setting the volume slider to the lowest in audio settings.
It could also be if you screwed up the game_sounds_manifest.txt file. Happened to me several times, and it was a really big mess.

Offline The Carrousel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a SMOD problem anymore, because it's happening to games like CS:GO and NMRiH too.

I did all you said, but none of it worked. Oh well, it could just be a windows problem. I am going to install a new one soon anyway.

Offline Comrade

• Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a SMOD problem anymore, because it's happening to games like CS:GO and NMRiH too.

I did all you said, but none of it worked. Oh well, it could just be a windows problem. I am going to install a new one soon anyway.

Reinstall sound drivers.
Maybe you don't have any sound at all?

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
type in "run" ( windows logo key + R) services.msc, search for "Windows Audio" and restart it (rmb restart, or if it's not on, start)
Double-click "Windows Audio" and go to "Recovery" , select "restart the service" in every drop-down list, and set "restart service after" to "1"

This usually helps.
Officially Unofficial BSNOOCH Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/eBqezeR

Offline Comrade

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
type in "run" ( windows logo key + R) services.msc, search for "Windows Audio" and restart it (rmb restart, or if it's not on, start)
Double-click "Windows Audio" and go to "Recovery" , select "restart the service" in every drop-down list, and set "restart service after" to "1"

This usually helps.

I'm pretty sure this fella wasn't closing svchost.exe in his Task Manager.
That said, I've never came across such a problem, at least I didn't have to do the procedure explained above.
Maybe you can tell me when does it specifically occur?

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.Pepsifan04 is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
You don't have to close svchost.exe to cause sound problems.
Sometimes, one of the services in the process (there are lots of services in a single process) shuts down for some reason,
and If you haven't set up an "emergency" restart, it will simply stay turned off.

"Windows Audio" service is responsible for most of sounds played by your sound card.

(You usually don't need to set-up this on freshly installed windows, but after some time, installing and uninstalling programs, some things may get "broken" )
Officially Unofficial BSNOOCH Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/eBqezeR

Offline Comrade

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:28:48 PM »
You don't have to close svchost.exe to cause sound problems.
Sometimes, one of the services in the process (there are lots of services in a single process) shuts down for some reason,
and If you haven't set up an "emergency" restart, it will simply stay turned off.

"Windows Audio" service is responsible for most of sounds played by your sound card.

(You usually don't need to set-up this on freshly installed windows, but after some time, installing and uninstalling programs, some things may get "broken" )

Wow, I've never experienced this before, but now I'll know what do to. Thanks.

Offline The Carrousel

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
Appearently, the problem is with me. I tried playing the sounds on another computer and they worked just fine. The problem is with my recovered windows version. I tried installing a game once, but instead my windows broke. So I recovered it. And ever since I did, everything on it has been breaking. Well I'm putting a new one in a week or so.