Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Variations of Weapon Sound Reflections?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline The Carrousel

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • The Carrousel has no influence.
Variations of Weapon Sound Reflections?
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
So I recently got my hands on the sweet, sweet sound files from Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, and after messing around with them in Adobe Audition, I couldn't help but notice what an ingenious system DICE has created. It also raised the question whether or not it is possible to do this in SMOD. I know that other mods such as Nox Aeterna have done it, but not SMOD. Well, technically the source engine has a sound system with different weapon sound reflections, you can hear it out in the wide, open areas of the canal section, but it only works with the Half-Life 2 weapons.

All I want to know is if it's possible to manually tag different areas of a map to play a certain weapon sound or reflection. In SMOD that is. If other mods can do it, why can't SMOD?

Here is the Battlefield 3 sound system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3462ZYJ28A&index=5&list=FLuY2sWMzWv0sZqX-6FWhe9w
(My guess is they use a similar one in BF4.)

Here is the one in Nox Aeterna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XMXR5n23o

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
Re: Variations of Weapon Sound Reflections?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
So I recently got my hands on the sweet, sweet sound files from Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, and after messing around with them in Adobe Audition, I couldn't help but notice what an ingenious system DICE has created. It also raised the question whether or not it is possible to do this in SMOD. I know that other mods such as Nox Aeterna have done it, but not SMOD. Well, technically the source engine has a sound system with different weapon sound reflections, you can hear it out in the wide, open areas of the canal section, but it only works with the Half-Life 2 weapons.

All I want to know is if it's possible to manually tag different areas of a map to play a certain weapon sound or reflection. In SMOD that is. If other mods can do it, why can't SMOD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3462ZYJ28A&index=5&list=FLuY2sWMzWv0sZqX-6FWhe9w

Cannot be done in SMOD, due to the fact that code to handle the sounds is done the standard Half Life 2 way. Even though it can be done in source... The issue with SMOD is that fact the code is closed source, hence the hurdles SMOD communities have had in the past when valve had updated their code and broke compatibility with SMOD. Now, if someone is capable and willing enough, they can mod the Source SDK or modify SM-Mod (A hiatus project of mine that was going to remake SMOD from scratch, which the code is available for everyone to use as they see fit with credit) to include such audio mechanics for weapons, it'll be great.
._. I love coffee.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

Cannot be done in SMOD, due to the fact that code to handle the sounds is done the standard Half Life 2 way. Even though it can be done in source... The issue with SMOD is that fact the code is closed source, hence the hurdles SMOD communities have had in the past when valve had updated their code and broke compatibility with SMOD. Now, if someone is capable and willing enough, they can mod the Source SDK or modify SM-Mod (A hiatus project of mine that was going to remake SMOD from scratch, which the code is available for everyone to use as they see fit with credit) to include such audio mechanics for weapons, it'll be great.

SM-Mod (A hiatus project of mine that was going to remake SMOD from scratch)

A hiatus project...was going to...

no
pls god no

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »

SM-Mod (A hiatus project of mine that was going to remake SMOD from scratch)

A hiatus project...was going to...

no
pls god no
What?
._. I love coffee.

Offline gpgpgpgp

• +2% chance to make useful post
  • gpgpgpgp has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
Yes and No.
Yes. You can combine triggers (example, for mapadds, the instant_trig) and dsp console command (what was that... saw it once... totally forgotten). With different dsps the sound of weapons get twisted and shaped to simulate real world reflection, noise overlay in caves, forest, beneath water, indoors, etc. So, basically, the Half-life 2 way to do it, is to modify a single wave file with dsps to make very different effects. That's definitely a good system. And Nox Aeterna, could be using this way too.
And No. You cannot expect it to dynamically change the wave files of a weapon sound, unless you'd decide to write a thousand lines of scripts for it. Personally speaking, the BF3 system is nice for it's more 'real'. Closer to reality. The cons is the gunshots don't seem to vary much under different situations, since 2 fourth part of every sound from the same weapon is always the same : the HIFY "pin" sound and the base sound. And other 2 fourth part, the noise layer and reflection are shared by any weapons of the same caliber. The result is: The gunshots sound real, and they sound the same (too similar for a game).
For a game such as HL2 or SMOD, with limited intention for 'playing reality', but more likely to be a 'fantasy' or 'legend', I guess making each weapon sound very different, very characteristic is a major gameplay enhancer. So, with each weapon a unique and stylish sound, and making the sound sound very different under different situation with different dsps (waaay more different than BF3 'wave file composition' style), HL2 or SMOD can be a thrilling sci-fi game, instead of something more 'real' like BF3 or Arma.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
dsp console command (what was that... saw it once... totally forgotten)

dsp_enhance_stereo 1?