Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Well, guys, SMOD is almost completely dead.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Monkatraz

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Monkatraz has no influence.
Well, guys, SMOD is almost completely dead.
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
I personally think that SMOD isn't coming back any time soon.

Crylife 2 was pretty much the last breath of fresh air for SMOD, and well, I think that's a good way to go. Some may not agree with me on this, but I think we can all agree its on its dying breaths.

Unless by a miracle, like the SMOD author coming back, I don't think we can do much more to save this mod specifically. If we could finish up the efforts to rebuild SMOD, that would be awesome, but I don't think anyone has the motivation to do it yet. I love SMOD, no HL2 mod has ever given me such a good feeling game among other things, however, I just think unless we rewrite this mod, or get the source code, its going to die.

Having to get an external Steam emulator and an older version of the HL2 engine, and more, just pushes people away from having fun with  SMOD.

Sorry guys, but we either need to ramp up efforts to finish the rewrite mods, or its going to die soon. Sorry for this being so depressing, but, you know.

Hell, even Bsnooch is dying. Posts are becoming less and less frequent. Some boards haven't been updated in months. Either we need to revitalize SMOD and from that this forum, or, well, I don't know what's gonna happen.

PS: I don't think Firefight is ever going to be an SMOD rewrite. It's becoming its own thing, and that's not bad at all.
MLG

Offline PaiCrai

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • PaiCrai has no influence.
Re: Well, guys, SMOD is almost completely dead.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:28 AM »
rips to peace valve
smignature

Offline FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:05:45 AM »
We're like your heart. It'll only stop beating when you're dead.

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
Meh, just because a community is small it dosen't mean that it's going to die. I agree though, SMOD isn't nearly as popular these days as it used to be, mainly because it's simply outdated. I'm sure there will always be a few people that keep working with SMOD.

Offline Monkatraz

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
Meh, just because a community is small it dosen't mean that it's going to die. I agree though, SMOD isn't nearly as popular these days as it used to be, mainly because it's simply outdated. I'm sure there will always be a few people that keep working with SMOD.

Sure, its not entirely dead, but I doubt there will ever be a major SMOD release again. Stuff like Crylife and Redux, you know? It needs a rewrite, but with Source 2 on the horizon, I'm not sure if even that is a good idea.
MLG

Offline Pangia

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pangia has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
We're like your heart. It'll only stop beating when you're dead.
Pretty much this. I mean world is pretty big, you can always find somebody that plays your favourite game no matter how old it is. If it's enough good, then it will save itself. Like even so small 2D shooter like Soldat – one guy was developing this game for over 7 years and even after he dropped it to some bunch of idiots known better as development team people kept playing it, average about 500-600 players per day. Now it's 30-60 cause those guys pretty much ruined the game and while nobody will say that loud… But that's whole lotta different story. Still, I hope you got what I mean. :)

Offline Pepsifan04

• +12% chance to make useful post
  • Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...Pepsifan04 might someday be someone...
    • Smod: CryLife
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna be a littebit selfish here (kind of):
I'm really hoping that after crylife release there's gonna be at least some ppl interested in smod.

Also, we need to make some basic/overall tutorial how to edit smod, best wit screenshots.
I've tried to make a video series, but due to lack of time, it's on hiatus right now.
Things like that would liven up the community a bit, because in reality, smod is easy to learn and hard to master ;)

(you need to remember, not everyone insterested in smod is registered/active on BSnooch)

... but I doubt there will ever be a major SMOD release again...
How you dare to doubt in me!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:30:22 PM by Pepsifan04 »
DROP DATABASE bsnooch

Offline Monkatraz

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
... but I doubt there will ever be a major SMOD release again...
How you dare to doubt in me!

I didn't mean you, you're going to be the last major release. I just think SMOD is too outdated/old and riddled with issues that it needs a rewrite.
MLG

Offline Bitl

• Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:04:01 AM »
What about SMOD FIREFIGHT and FIREFIGHT RELOADED?

I know FIREFIGHT RELOADED is being its own thing, but it's probably one of  the only SMOD-like mods around (besides SMMOD) that is on the latest engine branch and the only SMOD-like mod with (upcoming) multiplayer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:08:21 AM by Bitl »
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don

Offline Monkatraz

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:18 AM »

I know FIREFIGHT RELOADED is being its own thing, but it's probably one of  the only SMOD-like mods around (besides SMMOD) that is on the latest engine branch and the only SMOD-like mod with (upcoming) multiplayer.

Well, that's the thing. I don't know all your priorties, if you slowly make Firefight more and more customizable, like map adds, more custom script options, you're gonna get close to SMOD quickly. That would be great! I just don't know if YOU want to do that.
MLG

Offline Bitl

• Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:27:01 AM »

Mapadds were already in FR since the Locked Alpha, and custom weapons are added.

Well, that's the thing. I don't know all your priorties, if you slowly make Firefight more and more customizable, like map adds, more custom script options, you're gonna get close to SMOD quickly. That would be great! I just don't know if YOU want to do that.
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don

Offline Monkatraz

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »

Mapadds were already in FR since the Locked Alpha, and custom weapons are added.

Oh, really? Sorry, I wasn't keeping up with development too much (was busy with other things). I'll check em out. Maybe you'll be the one to rewrite SMOD almost completely.
MLG

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
Firefight is technically the closest we can get to smod right now. Sirmasters is lazy, so we probably won't get SMMOD (hopes going down the drain).

SMOD is pretty much dead, yes. I think it's useless attempting to revive it, I think we should try to simply make a new smod on a newer engine version. Working around these countless issues that valve has created is a waste of time, and besides, we'd all like some newer features and a more stable smod.

Offline sirmasters

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • sirmasters barely matters.sirmasters barely matters.
    • My Twitter (My Forums are inactive at the moment)
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Firefight is technically the closest we can get to smod right now. Sirmasters is lazy, so we probably won't get SMMOD (hopes going down the drain).

SMOD is pretty much dead, yes. I think it's useless attempting to revive it, I think we should try to simply make a new smod on a newer engine version. Working around these countless issues that valve has created is a waste of time, and besides, we'd all like some newer features and a more stable smod.

Sadly, the above statement about me being Lazy is kinda true. But at least my source code is out there for people to take and continue, which is why I made it open source.
._. I love coffee.

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »

Sadly, the above statement about me being Lazy is kinda true. But at least my source code is out there for people to take and continue, which is why I made it open source.

Shows how many people actually want to do something then.