Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Well, guys, SMOD is almost completely dead.  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Onemanshow

• JuanMan
  • +67% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!Onemanshow is awe-inspiring!
Re: Well, guys, SMOD is almost completely dead.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
SMOD's been living on life support for a while. Its built on an ancient version of the Source engine, it hasn't had updates since 2008, Valve's ham-fisted updates breaking mods, have all helped to drive interest away from SMOD. It doesn't help that SMOD is a unstable mess prone to crashing for unknown reasons and standalone has a savegame corruption issue in the HL2 campaign that turns me off from wanting to do anything with it.

There's a good reason why any attempts to directly recreate SMOD die in short order; Just look at the changelog. SMOD as we know it now was built over the course of years, and many of the features we take for granted were not present until fairly late into its development. Anyone wanting to recreate it has to build these features that took years to implement simply as a starting point. Not a position I envy. Good and motivated coders are hard to come by, and the ones who exist tend to get snapped up by bigger projects very quickly.

Sadly, I doubt we'll see a true successor to SMOD. The Source engine modding community is in a late stage of life. There's still action going on, but most have moved to later Source games like Garry's Mod, TF2, etc, with HL2 has been left behind by most. It doesn't help that Valve's incompetence killed even greenlit mods like Obsidian Conflict and Double Action, both of which are dead in the water due to crippling bugs in the SDK.

FIREFIGHT RELOADED is fairly close, but there's no campaign support and its modding capability isn't as robust. Plus, no workshop support means most of the steam community isn't even aware of the custom weapons, mapadds, etc it can have.

Offline Bitl

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.Bitl is working their way up.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
Plus, no workshop support means most of the steam community isn't even aware of the custom weapons, mapadds, etc it can have.
that will be fixed when I add in workshop support and release tutorials for that stuff.

I also plan on doing a full SMOD remake in the future using SMMOD as a base, but I need to release as many updates as possible to FR, and finish FIREFIGHT RELOADED MULTIPLAYER, SURVIVOR, and a unannounced project.
FIREFIGHT RELOADED: GET IT NOW ON STEAM! http://store.steampowered.com/app/397680

crack tales, ooo-ooo

My Blog

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is don

Offline Monkatraz

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • Monkatraz has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »
Plus, no workshop support means most of the steam community isn't even aware of the custom weapons, mapadds, etc it can have.
that will be fixed when I add in workshop support and release tutorials for that stuff.

I also plan on doing a full SMOD remake in the future using SMMOD as a base, but I need to release as many updates as possible to FR, and finish FIREFIGHT RELOADED MULTIPLAYER, SURVIVOR, and a unannounced project.

You know, if sirmasters and you worked together...
MLG

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »

...it would be mlg

Online FreeKill

• +7% chance to make useful post
  • FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.FreeKill is working their way up.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »

...it would be mlg

Very.

Offline fegeleingunche

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • fegeleingunche has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
Isn't there any more weapons so it can be added to the game? or anything else? :(

Offline Comrade

• +11% chance to make useful post
  • Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...Comrade might someday be someone...
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
Isn't there any more weapons so it can be added to the game? or anything else? :(

there always are more weapons to add, but weapons aren't smod