Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What happened to Smod: Tactical  (Read 10284 times)

Offline 009

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • 009 has no influence.
What happened to Smod: Tactical
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:45:09 AM »
Hello, some of you might have seen me before on the Smod: Tactical forum

I registered here because I want to know what happened on the "main" forum, why was it shut down, and what is the current state of Smod: Tactical as of right now. i also want to know where can I re upload my previous work on this forum.

How could this all have gone so horribly wrong  :-[

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
Re: What happened to Smod: Tactical
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:04:55 AM »
Welcome my friend and a great first topic.

To answer the important question first:
You can post about any and everything SMOD in this forum - http://www.bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?board=4.0
(including your releases if you wish).

Concerning SMOD:Tactical
Q) What happened to the SMoD:T forum?
A) Judging by the message on the website it has been shutdown, possibly forever.

Q) Why was it shutdown?
A) Not sure.

Q) What is the current state of SMOD:T?
A) Not sure.

I was away when most all of this unfolded so I don't have all the details, sorry. There are a few others here who know more than I do, if they wish to elaborate, I'm sure they will post and let you know...but don't hold your breath.

Offline veteran_gamer

• +5% chance to make useful post
  • veteran_gamer has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:41:56 AM »
Hi friend, give me some time to talk a few things over with my buddy OMS, and i'll see exactly how i should address this - regardless, i will provide an informative answer within the very near future.

Offline 009

• 009 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
I thank you both for devoting your time and effort to help me. I guest i just have to stick with this forum from now on.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:29:49 AM by 009 »

Offline Onemanshow

• The JuanMan
  • +8% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and address this personally here. I think enough time has passed since it happened and i'm going to tell the truth regardless of what certain people might think of it, or me.

You probably know that the beta for SMOD: Tactical got leaked by now. Someone dug through the FTP used to upload it and found it. I must note that this was NOT an internal leak.

Well, Skepsis proceeded to post the following message on the Tactical forums:

How did I do this? Well, quite easy since the file was in a completely open ftp, and the .rar archive didn't even have a god damned password on it. Don't worry though, It's already been "leaked" - just not by me. I decided not to mirror this and teach a lesson, but that's just me. I'm not the one who found this out either, nor am I telling you who did. The others he has told have likely mirrored it out already just because they really don't care.

I'll save you guys the download and elaborate on what can be seen in this "beta". Please note that all this stated is an opinion, and not some dick move to troll. I would've told him privately about this thing and likely talked shop with him, but he never accept my invite or chat requests, so... eh. Here we are.

First, like most SMOD mod tripe (with the exception of CSS SCI FI, cos Fitzroy Doll is pretty cool. cool), this follows the typical formula of:
Code:

fpsb gun skins + randomized weapons + randomized enemies + multiplayer maps = super duper randomized mod

Keep that formula safe kids, it's the way to a 9.1 rating on ModDb and waves of fans requesting that stupid shit be added in there. It took me years of cryptographic analysis to discover this, but I finally cracked the forumula! WOO!
*ahem* ....
I realize it was all cool in 2006 but, c'mon. The only thing good about this mod are the weapons and those weren't even made by the developer - just rehashed and edited a bit. What saddens me is it seems like most of the work went into things the developer didn't actually create himself. I will say he did manage to make the guns not feel like water shooters, though. lol, the m4a1 in Delta 5.56....

Speaking of Fitzroy Doll allow me to say this: I've heard it numerous times (straight from the horses mouth), that he absolutely HATED how Phatcat included any of his mapadds. Good reason to have that disposition too. After all, they're all hand coded, crafted with love and creativity, and beyond what appears to any member of the Boyz Club's abilities. Please, don't re-release them by tacking them on to this tripe. sad He created them for his own mod, which worked well in his own mod too might I add. I realize it isn't "theft", if you credit him, but did you even ask him?

Anyways since the weapons are all this mod has to show for itself, and that's really all that people even care about when it comes to this mod, or Resux, I made a video of em'.

Now, on to the game play mechanics. You have something somewhat solid here, like I said the guns feel like guns, even though there's some uncanny recoil going on with some of them. Why the mp5sd has nearly as much, if not, more recoil than the g3a3 is beyond me. The difficulty had been dumbed down to the point of it being funny I guess but honestly not enough for my liking. I am happy with it though because anythings better than the x-ray vision, aimbot augmented combine from the older iterations. I can't really offer a tip on this other than a) make it scalable b) keep close to the default HL2 skill.cfg, making use of the damage scaling c) ... actually make something tastefully challenging. :p

The maps and mapadds... yikes... I was disappoint.
To put it bluntly, It's the usual "LOL KILL THE BAD GUYS" stuff along with the exception of onslaught style zombies on de_urbanwarfare, and de_nvbase (which had no enemies on it for me), which was "recover the item crate". Any .lua use appeared to be The Author's stuff, only rehashed. If you guys don't know how to mapadd worth a damn, why bother? :p It's not like noone competent in the very subject matter has ever offered help, numerous god damned times. The half life 2 campaign is going better than the old default SMOD mapadds which is cool, sure. But there's really nothing good here. Especially with the bar raised by guys like Fitzroy. It's like you barely even tried to do anything with this mod.

Ok, harsh? I know, but that's just my fat bloated opinion.

Here's something we can all likely agree on, though. The wait. This.... is all that you've accomplished? The long wait of nearly .. 1 1/2 years or something. And this is what it amounts to? This feels like some guy just felt like adding guns to SMOD, upping the difficulty, and putting randomized enemies in maps he downloaded for his own personal play. I'm one of the laziest fuckers on this planet and I've done just about the same amount of work (with the exception of the menu) in a weekend or two before.

Anyways, yeah - that's that. It was going to be released soon anyways and with that in mind I'm worried. By the way, you don't need to include my name in the "modding resources" folder for the fire rate formulas. All it is, is a calculation of shots per second. I mean.. rounds per minute, to shots per second. Anyone who knows the basic scientific formulas for speed, along with a middle school education can easily convert that for themselves. It's really common sense, not something you can pedantically put credit on. :p I do appreciate the wiki being noted though. As does Happy Cat - likely even more so.

This post has many exaggerations, misconceptions, and even outright lies. For example, he strongly implies the new version steals content from CSS SCIFI. The beta, nor the full release (would have) used any mapadd code from fitzroy_doll. All mapadd code was rebuilt from the code that "The Author" used. In fact i exchanged private messages with fitzroy_doll over ModDB and agreed to respect his request of not using content from CSS SCIFI. Another complete exaggeration is that the MP5 has more recoil than the G3. If he had bothered to look at the code of the weapons, he would find that the G3 has much more than the MP5, and that some of this is a effect of the rebuilt recoil system that promotes controlled firing. He tears apart the new version for have "dumbed-down" difficulty. The difficulty was made far more customizable thanks to the SMOD Menu System, and the highest difficulty is easily comparable with the higher-end difficulty levels in past versions. He attacks Tactical for being unoriginal and using FPSB weapons when it always has and has been no secret that the new version would be no exception. He also claims he could have done the same within a weekend, yet he ignores or even criticizes the bug fixes, new gunfire sounds, animation edits, and balancing that took a great deal of time to research and test, as well as having to juggle this mod along with my personal life and SMOD Redux. My beta testers gave me quite good feedback on the implementation of difficulty and especially the weapons.

The thread was quickly moved to the dead threads area. Within no more then 3 hours, people associated with him proceeded to post similar rants on ModDB and the SMOD Redux STEAM Group. Basically they were shortened and far more hostile versions of the above post with links to the beta. They are quoted below:

Quote from: Daxent
Alright, well, I downloaded the mod. To get this much done in a year and a half? This is a horrible mod in terms of effort. We all know the only good thing about the mod is the weapons (which aren't even made by onemanshow), and they are all awful peashooters.

This is the perfect example of shit. Someone releases a half-assed mod on moddb (Four day job, tbh) and gets a 9.1 on it. Not to mention he used Fitzroy Doll's (CS:S Sci Fi in case all of you are unfamiliar) mapadds in his own mod. Fitzroy bitched at Phatcat for that, I remember.

Not to mention this mod screws up with the weapons so hard. A G3A3 makes less recoil than a MP5SD. And for some reason the pistols have sleight of hand on them.

Oh, and lemme get to the realism. Yes, the realism. If you think this mod is realistic, then sadly you are an idiot. Five 5.56x45mm rounds to the fucking lungs of a enemy without body armor should, y'know, kill them.

The mapadds are fucking retarded as well (not counting fitzroy's mapadds). You get a M79 on Pariah, which is a very CQB map. There is a massive output of zombies on Crookcounty which might make your FPS drop 20+ on how unoptimized it is. It's like Onemanshow just spammed zombies there just to be there. But hey! At least there's Elvis in de_vegas.

With this being said, I have the leak to the beta

Enjoy it while ya' can, lads! The AK74u is the only thing he actually managed to get right.

shitty ass mod, tactical is.

here i leaked smod tactical 6 beta

it's a fucking four day job. onemanshow hardly did anything in a 2 year span (well almost 2 years. pretty much just as bad). god damn at least be smart with your security. putting something in a open FTP without a password in it is probably one of the dumbest things I've seen in "mod development". you attempt to fool so many people with the "work" you put into your mod. but in truth it's not worth shit and the only thing that your doing is fooling yourself. and possibly the other hundred's of idiots who think your mod is godly but in reality it's not.

redux is also a fucking shit mod too. lets see, you attempt to ruin the livelihood of the smod author? god damn.

p.s. lol g3a3 has less recoil than the mp5.

p.p.s great job on the AK-74U.

That's quite a bit of hatred directed at a mod-of-a-mod and it's author just because they got to play an unfinished beta and didn't like what they saw. That has got to be the most unprovoked verbal assault i've ever seen directed at a mod for the most childish of reasons: They thought they could do better in literally a fraction of the time.

I decided that i will no long put up with this BS from them. Working on SMOD: Tactical is no longer fun, it's no longer a hobby, it is a increasingly depressing chore for me. Ain't modding suppose to be for fun? to make fun? That's how i view it, and it's no longer fun to me. My personal life demands more of my time now and i just can't continue to fit this BS in. On that note i am quite amused to see that on the ModDB page, they are saying that I am the one taking this too seriously. ::)  

Anyway, i handed the mod's control along with the latest internal build back over to Phatcat, telling him of all this in a respectful manner. He replied thanking me for the effort i had put into the mod and assured me there were no hard feelings over my decision. He shut down the forums and site hours later. It's a very safe bet to say SMOD: Tactical is dead. I have to say i'm surprised at his decision, but i certainly don't object to it given recent events. I can only guess why he decided to shut down the mod when it was nearly done, but i think he didn't take kindly to those messages, to put it mildly.

So i am not longer working or wish to be associated with SMOD: Tactical. Redux should also be considered dead too, but for different reasons. The May 26th update that threw everything into chaos hurt Redux much more than Tactical. Mainly because while Tactical offered much content outside the HL2 campaign, by and large the meat of Redux was in the campaign maps. Even though Happy Cat wrote a batch file that automatically copied the maps over to SMOD, i still could not count on my...less intelligent players to actually read and follow instructions. That may seem harsh, but given on the Tactical forums there were people posting things like "HALP ME MY GAME IS BROKEN HOW I FIX" and "PATCH NOT WORKING!!! HELP!!!" in the very same topic the fixes and instructions were posted, i don't believe i'm entirely unjustified in thinking that.  

Chances are i'll continue updating and making new releases for the Release Archive hosted here. Since it's intended for players who have some knowledge of SMOD's inner workings, but i'm taking a vacation from the entire engine for the time being.

So that's about as official of a reason why all this happened as you're going to get. Kinda sad this happened when if it didn't, Version 1.0 would have been out by now. But shutting down the mod was Phatcat's decision, not mine.

Anyway welcome to our boards. Last i heard the forum here was still going to be worked on, so please excuse any mess that may show up.

I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:38:25 PM by Onemanshow »

Offline kh0rn3

• kh0rn3 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »
Thanks for your work onemanshow. Since I never downloaded the beta can you email a link to me please?  kh0rn3(at)gmail.com.  Skepsis ->   :o

Offline 009

• 009 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Well, I DID played the leaked beta, and I have to say its the exact opposite to what those guys said. The work you put on this is beyond any Smod modification out there, you paid a lot of attention to every detail of the mod, from the smoke puff, weapon sound to the complex menu system. Its very professionally done if you ask me, unlike most other Smod.

But any way, can you just at least give me some permission to patch up the leaked Beta to a working state and post it some where on this forum? I can let Smod to die, not like this

And kh0rn3, Here's the link
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OXX4XEV5
Delete the resource folder and replace it with smod tactical 556 one, don't forget to apply the patch
Looks like I just made a pretty big mess on the Smod Tactical Moddb page, posting this and all  :'(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:38:35 PM by 009 »

Offline Onemanshow

• The JuanMan
  • +8% chance to make useful post
  • Onemanshow has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
Well, I DID played the leaked beta, and I have to say its the exact opposite to what those guys said. The work you put on this is beyond any Smod modification out there, you paid a lot of attention to every detail of the mod, from the smoke puff, weapon sound to the complex menu system. Its very professionally done if you ask me, unlike most other Smod.

But any way, can you just at least give me some permission to patch up the leaked Beta to a working state and post it some where on this forum? I can let Smod to die, not like this

Look, i would really prefer if you didn't post links to that old build around here. That build was very unpolished compared to the latest build that was done before development was stopped.

I'm not officially part of SMOD: Tactical anymore, so treating me as the authority on Tactical is somewhat inappropriate now. But since Phatcat seems to have abandoned Tactical anyway, i don't know if he would even care what happens to it at this point. I can't fully speak for him though. For now i would like if you just kept any beta-related stuff to yourself and let me talk to my friends about this.

Offline kh0rn3

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:49:39 AM »
@009 Uh... ok thanks.  I meant for onemanshow to decide to give it to me or not since he is the creator.  Anyway where is the link to the patch please?   8D

Offline BIZ

• 32-Bit Hobo
  • +0% chance to make useful post
  • BIZ hides in shadows.
    • BSNOOCH.COM
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:46 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive.   8)

Offline veteran_gamer

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 05:52:23 AM »
that forum was home to a handful of social abominations that allowed them to exist & drag smod's name/image down into the shitter because of 5 year old "security" software, that place would still be up, running & quite healthy were a simple update installed - ending this garbage over a year and a half ago

instead, the result was a transexual midget-gang banging playground  themed house of horrors

the only opportunity they ever had, and will ever have at public exposure ended the day it went up in flames.  pretty sad to think they used the only chance they had to be remembered as worthless, dedicated e-stalking pieces of you know what to ever plague a community (small community at that), as well as being the cause of its termination.  i'm sure they are happy with the results of their hard work - ending up homeless :D

on a much more positive & refreshing note, was pretty happy to see khorn3's name pop up!!!

it's not booming with action yet brother, but i promise all of the stuff i've been sitting on for SMOD will be released here - after we sort out this "may 26th update" crap.  nothing major, mainly zombie2 packs witht he feral ghoul, etc.  extra stuff left out of final - chances are you may already have em depending on which of the 50 trillion betas you tried heheh

here's to the future of a respectful, productive & completely lamer-free future - for SMOD & all of my/our future endeavors

;]

edit- busey, wtf IS that in your AV, now i see what Ineptguard meant, lol!  put the pipe(s) down brother, down!!

edit2- lot of traffic from moddb to this thread, they've completely shit on the tactical listing there, pretty ugly stuff
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:40:21 AM by veteran_gamer »

Offline Hitperson

• Hitperson has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
i have pretty much given up trying to be the voice of reason, they have done the same to the Moddb page, i say fuckem, they want to be babies about it then they can continue bitching about how them ruining things is somehow our fault.

huge shame really is a was looking forward to the next release in a big way but ultimatly there are powers at work that find themsleves exempt whilst they might have been vaguely usefull at somepoint in the past more time was spent removing alt accounts from HC,skepsis (ken) and other icons of douchebaggery, very disapointed we didn't get them security updates on the forums as this probably wouldn't have happened.

oh well, ho hum.

hows you guys doing otherwise??

Offline veteran_gamer

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »
hey, look what the tsunami just washed up

welcome to the board 47 :]

i suppose you confirmed what i assumed - massive spammage on moddb apparently, i guess i got it wrong when i thought the steam profiles would be first bet - simply out of not wanting to risk Further self-shitting behavior.  i guess they'll resort to that after they bleed moddb dry.  perhaps not, perhaps they will simply accept what they asked & worked hard for as the ultimate reward for their dedication

probably reversing this as a "victim" role right about now, or victim + we were abused by staff/evil contributors - share the blame.  or even the (laughably) pathetic "they wanted this to happen/used this as excuse to walk out".  ahah.  i dont bother wasting my time on fleas or ticks - im too busy bein productive elsewhere :p

you know what i just realized, Just this second?  i bet someone from the old board pastes responses on this thread/statements etc so that they know whats being said on behalf of their e-gods (paste that biatch!)

i cant lie...i admit it, brings a certain amount of ghoulish laughter to think even as we carry on, not caring - not following up - doing what we do as usual (as it has been for over 10 months now) - they are still bound to anything we say, ahah.  its been a year dude, time to find a new hobby, or evn a girlfriend - correction - boyfriend. 

they should consider forming some sort of coalition or guild...hmm

YHGT - can even make it a clan tag (young homosexual gaming trolls)

bahah, i know i'm not helping to kill interest in this thread, but let's hope it dies within a week (or gets flamed so we can censor, cover-up, edit & completely eliminate anything we Don't Like Lookin @)

what about you 47?
what are you up to dude?

Offline Hitperson

• Hitperson has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
me??

i'm up to fuck all as i havn't got a job at the mo.

and yeah your last post made it into one of HC's speaches.

but yeah the three of them are trying to play the victim (hell even tutle joined in) with spamming stuff off the front page of the comments section.

but yeah, they are essentially claiming there was a "totalitarian" thing going on when they were multiple repeat offenders and had, had several accounts banned from the site.

but it's good to see you VG and same to OMS.

Offline kh0rn3

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 02:39:05 AM »
The author told us to enjoy his mod in secret; now there is a curse of hateful internet game players haunting us since we tried to promulgate smod to everyone.  I think the author predicted this, but we didn't listen to him.