Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SMOD Tactical: Rebalance  (Read 571 times)

Offline biggestcwax

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • biggestcwax has no influence.
SMOD Tactical: Rebalance
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »
Hey all! Here is a release of my settings for SMOD Tactical (Project Life) that I've been working on for a couple months. The main theme of this was to balance gameplay over realism, and difficulty in a way that doesn't feel unfair. It also aims to increase immersion and provide some pretty cinematic moments.

I've included an installation README, along with a .txt of all the features.

This is the first version release, so if there are any changes that ought to be made, please let me know.

REQUIREMENTS:
SMOD Standalone
SMOD Tactical: Project Life V2
Half Life 2 and Source SDK Base

NOTABLE FEATURES:
-Gunplay has been completely reworked to be more in-line with modern shooters and their controls. This includes spread, recoil, damage, ammo, etc.
-AI has been tweaked to be more tactical. Eg. they will take cover more often, rush you if you're reloading, throw grenades often.
-Gore and ragdoll physics have been fine-tuned for highest satisfaction for kills.
-Visual FX have been tweaked to look much better than vanilla.
-The game is much more challenging, but not in ways that feel unfair, as they did before.
-Many quality-of-life changes. Eg. Full-auto guns are set to full-auto by default now, thank Christ.

IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you go into console and type "exec cwax" upon the first map load. You can add this to autoexec.cfg at some point if you like.

Check out the YouTube videos below to see it all in action.

Thanks, and happy kicking!!!  8)

VIDEO:

DOWNLOAD:
https://mega.nz/#!U2JUGSwY!c4mGn5Y8SEvBaeOysxVNZUCt2NPiDS9xhjy4dk_Ahyg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:10:15 AM by biggestcwax »

Offline No1Gamer

• No1Gamer has no influence.
Re: SMOD Tactical: Rebalance
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
looks good, i wanna try this.

we need the key for download pls.

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:34 AM »
Sorry about that, the link was butchered in the original post. Should work fine now, post has been edited.

Please check out the included features list for an idea of what's changed!

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
ok so i look through the files real quick because i dont have the time to play right now, but i still got some questions.
why do you override the healthpacks when you disabled health regen? or is override turned of?
why do you make skill changes like bodypart damage and ammo capacity in your cwax.cfg and not in the skill.cfg? now you have to manually call the cwax.cfg after every map load.
the known issues:
- the first one you can fix quite easily. just limit the spawn zones with removenodes or just take out any randomspawns in this map.
- the alyx problem: i think you can give alyx quite a lot of health with an mapadd entry but dunno if this works

i will definitly play this when i have the time, i quite like the deadly zombies and their massive HP, but the 150 dmg manhacks are a bit overkill imo XD.

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
Addressing your questions:

1. If you're looking at the override_class.cfg, health packs still spawn out of item crates, and of course health chargers are everywhere. This was just to ensure there's not too much health everywhere.
2. I left the changes in the cwax.cfg for testing, but as far as I could tell, the skill.cfg seems to be executed every map load anyway, and the skill values in my cfg don't take effect. I'll have to double-check to see if they do change. This didn't make sense to me at the time, either.
3. I don't know how to use mapadd, so I'd need help with that one.
4. ^ same as above

As for the manhacks, for some reason, there seems to be some sort of scalar associated with the damage value there. I had to put it that high so that they would do ~20-30 damage or so.

I'll take a look at #1 and 2 and get back to you, but the gameplay should still be balanced. I did a few full playthroughs just fine, give it a go and see for yourself if anything feels out of whack.

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
if you look into the mapadd file for d1_canals_01 then you can see how it is done. there are also alredy some removenodes entrys but not on the right coordinates it seems. when you are in a map you can check those nodes. just type cl_showpos 1 or impulse 90. or like i said remove the randomspawn in this mapadd altogether.

looks like for alyx there is also alredy an entry. when you open mapadd d3_c17_07 you can see that the health of alyx gets set to 80, for whatever reason. you can set that to 9999. but like i said i dunno if this even works, never tested it myself. but it should work.

also the dmg scalar for the manhacks lol didnt even know that.

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
OK so i tried the mod yesterday and must say holy shit, this is hard. you really starve for medkits. i only barley made it through the first canal level. never quicksaved this often before XD. but still had fun, dont get me wrong.
also what version of project life is your base? because i have version 1 and i had some bugs like the missing world model for the knife, or unlimited bullet time (are you even suppost to have bullettime in tactical?).

ps. the barnecle has a bit to much life imo. 12 shots from the shotgun is bit ...

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 12:10:00 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely harder... but it doesn't feel as unfair. Before, gunships you just killed would one-shot you upon explosion. That's unfair. You can also explode bodies and eat the gibs for a little bit of health, if you're really low. The beginning is especially hard because you don't get much ammo.

Also, sorry, I forgot to state that this is tested for Project Life Version 2. It hadn't occurred to me that Version 1 was even available. I'll update the original post.

As for the barnacles, my rationale was this. Every time I came across them in vanilla (or even vanilla SMOD), I would just kill them right away - simply because it was too easy to. By increasing their health, they operate much more as what they were intended to be: traps or snags. It's better to save ammo and to just avoid them, or use the props around to keep 'em busy. You can use the knife to one-shot them if you get caught in one.

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
Oh ok, i figured. well might as well try it with version 2 then :P.

ya i see where you are coming from with the barnacles and i think it makes sense. but how can you oneshot them with the knife? another hidden scaling?

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 05:05:48 AM »
Nah, just balancing. The stab attack does massive damage, but is unpractical against Combine because they will shoot the living fuck out of you. The knife does very well against barnacles, headcrabs, and manhacks - which makes the most sense to me. You can still use it to sneak attack Combine, however.

If you have really good timing (and I mean really good), you can stab manhacks. It's a pretty fun alternative to always using your gun.

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
ok weird. the files say the knife stab does 50 dmg

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
Actually, I just checked the files too, and there's no way it should be one-shotting the barnacles... but it just does. So there probably is a scalar in there somewhere. It probably has to do with the "damage type", like slash vs. bullet or something. Well, the ends justify the means, I suppose.

Offline No1Gamer

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
ok so after i switched to version 2 i dont get insta headshotted anymore :). now you can actually play this XD. didnt die once in the first canal lvl this time.

Offline biggestcwax

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:33:59 PM »
Damn, I did not think the jump from v1 to v2 would be that big  ???

Should be much better now then, keep going and see how you like it so far.