Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A Comprehensive Guide on Anything SMOD  (Read 734 times)

Offline NotMe

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • NotMe has no influence.
A Comprehensive Guide on Anything SMOD
« on: April 14, 2020, 12:02:59 AM »
A Comprehensive Guide on Anything SMOD:

By NotMe

Thank you to:
MOD DB commenters and people
bsnooch and their forum people, especially Pepsifan 04 and Comrade
Bluedrake42 and his community for inspiring me to make this document
Dev. Muffin (I dunno if pepsifan 04 is in Dev. Muffin but also ty) for making SMOD Standalone
All of the SMOD developers that inspired my troubleshooting half-life 2 mods
and made fun, entertaining mods themselves

How to Install Anything SMOD, Quick Steps:
1. Download SMOD Standalone
2. Download preferred mod of SMOD
3. Put preferred mod inside SMOD Standalone
4. Troubleshoot SMOD mod until satisfied with number of crashes

How to Install Anything SMOD, In-Depth:

1. Downloading SMOD Standalone -

There are two main ways to download SMOD Standalone that I know of.
   a. From the MOD DB page, search for "SMOD : Tactical REDUX" and click on the given mod.
      Click on the "files" tab, and click on "SMOD Standalone main file". Download the file.
      (note: This method has been authenticated by me, the experienced user)

b. Go to https://devmuffin.tumblr.com/, scroll until you see the post: "SMOD Standalone:
      We're back!". Click link under "DOWNLOAD SMOD STANDALONE 0.65".
      (note: This method has NOTTTTTTTTTTTT been authenticated by me, the experienced user)
      (also note: consider donating to Dev. Muffin for making or maintaining the mod)

From there, I put my Smod Standalone folder in steam\steamapps\sourcemods, but I think you can
place it anywhere you want
(note: emphasis on the think, this method has NOTTTTTTTT been authenticated by me,
 the experienced user)

2. Downloading preferred mods of SMOD:

The main way to get anything SMOD is to download it from the MOD DB page. I would not trust getting
anything SMOD from anywhere else. Once downloaded, you are ready to move on to the third step.

3. Putting preferred mod inside SMOD Standalone:

To put your preferred mod inside SMOD Standalone:
   a. Locate your Smod Standalone folder
   b. Put your preferred SMOD mod folder in the "mods" folder

We put our preferred mods inside SMOD Standalone because that's what makes all SMOD mods work.
Without SMOD Standalone, the SMOD mods are a buggy, not fun mess.

4. Troubleshooting SMOD mods:

This is where things get tricky. Here, I will post solutions to all of the mods that I have
tested with the solutions that I have. If I have not tested your mod, use the solutions given
as a reference. They are VERY useful in your journey of making things work. Give up all hope if
you are not prepared to mess around with settings for years on end.

SMOD : Tactical REDUX -

It should boot right up with no problems whatsoever. The main things I experienced in my game are
hitches and slowness during transition points from one part of the level to the next (I only played
the first canal map). I set the difficulty lower, which I think spawned less enemies, which I think
fixed the hitches and slowness.

smodredux_v8 (pre-packed to work with SMOD Standalone instantly) -

Works just fine and can be found under the "SMOD" page in the "files" tab on MOD DB.

SMOD : Tactical 5.56, SMOD : Tactical: Project Life V2 Revision 2

In most cases, mods that have been disbanded a long time ago have not seen fixes, so if you want
to fix them, you're going to have to get your hands digitally dirty. Here's what you're going to do
with these mods:

a. Find your preferred mod
   b. In scripts\addcontents.txt, delete everything or fill in lines with "//"
      so it looks like:

"Additional contents list"
{
   "Contents" {
//      "HL2MP" {
//         "path"   "hl2mp"
//         "id"   "320"
//      }
}
      As we can see, the "//" in this file means to pretend that the line of code doesn't exist,
      which is why the alternative is to delete everything.
   c. Change the gameinfo text document to make sure your preferred mod has what it needs to run.
      For example, the mods that we want to work need to have the following in gameinfo:

FileSystem
   {
      SteamAppId            220      // This will mount all the GCFs we need (240=CS:S, 220=HL2).
      ToolsAppId            211      // Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

SearchPaths
      {
      Game            |gameinfo_path|.
      Game            hl2
      game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\SDKBase"
      game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\CSSBase"
      Game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\..\..\common\Half-Life 2\hl2"
      Game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\..\..\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\hl2mp"
      Game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\..\..\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike"
(for Project Life, use this one too)          Game            "|gameinfo_path|..\..\common\Half-Life 2\episodic"
      }
   }
}
      As we can see, the gameinfo is getting files from places within the Smod Standalone folder as well as the games that it needs files from.

Other SMOD mods -

Changing gameinfo and addcontents should be essential to SMOD mods that haven't been fixed yet by the original developer. Make sure that SMOD mod has what it needs.
The different SteamAPPId's correspond to different games (eg. Half Life 2 Deathmatch = 320), so if you get an error with that, the SMOD mod probably couldn't find the directory to that
game and needs help through gameinfo. The SDKBase and CSSBase are very essential to your SMOD mod, since it fixes most of the problems with missing materials and backgrounds.

That's all, folks!

Offline SMOD guy

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • SMOD guy has no influence.
Re: A Comprehensive Guide on Anything SMOD
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:57 AM »
I think this is a great tutorial, it will help beginners. :D

Greetings from Russia!

Offline someonethatdied

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • someonethatdied has no influence.
    • Youtube Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Guide on Anything SMOD
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
Anyone hit me up for troubleshoots. I have literally got every single version of smod for every single type and spinoff there is still available on the web. I know how to make it tick for the most part. Pretty proud of my collection tbh
bruh

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal