Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Huge problems with saves on SMOD40a  (Read 6207 times)

Offline Pangia

• +1% chance to make useful post
  • Pangia has no influence.
Huge problems with saves on SMOD40a
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
Helloy :) First of all - if my English will fail somewhere then sorry, it's not my primary language, but I think it will be pretty understandable :)
Like title of thread says, I have problems with saved games on mine SMOD version. When I try to load last save game, unfortunately I got that annoying "Send Report" error and game is automatically closing. I think it happens only to autosaves, but since I mostly use only them I'm constantly getting stuck in Water Hazard chapter, in that fabric after you're finding second boat - if I won't got owned by helicopter, I'm getting owned by those two damn Kar98k-snipers :/
Anyone got that problem too? Maybe there is a solution for it already existing?

Offline TheMann25

• +4% chance to make useful post
  • TheMann25 has no influence.
Re: Huge problems with saves on SMOD40a
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
Yeah if your computer isn't good enough or you haven't fixed Smod then it will crash on autosaves.

Unless you mean the level on Water Hazard where the water turns purple and you crash once you hit the cardboard box then you will have to delete that map from your smod folder or wherever you keep your HL2 maps.
This is a catchy signature.

Offline Troggy Hordesman

• +3% chance to make useful post
  • Troggy Hordesman has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
That part is rather infamous for crashes, probably due to the size of the place joined in with a ton of triggers and things happening. You could cut down snipers and random spawned enemies, but I am pretty sure that autosaves will crash regardless so save normally and do so alot, a few will be corrupt but some not. I don't think there are many other areas in the game that does this as often, atleast not places with a high death ratio.
My behind is behind me, always watching.

Offline Pangia

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
Nah, my computer is good enough. If it can run GTA IV on high settings, then I think it can handle mod for Half-Life 2 :)
So corrupted autosaves are common problem? OK, thanks for information, gonna spam with quicksaves :P
And if we're talking about dying in this mod... I hope that Strider won't chase me after that "whole lotta pain" fabric?

Offline Counter-Life™

• +17% chance to make useful post
  • Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!Counter-Life™ is a rising star!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
maybe its cuz of the memory?

You should try my LAA fix, test it and let us know if this fixed the problem.

http://bsnooch.com/forums/index.php?topic=938.0

Offline Pangia

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
Huh... I should add earlier that I have WinXP, so anyway I have only 3 GB "seen" by CPU, and it was said that:
- Only do this fix, if you have atleast 3GB RAM!
so I don't think this may help :( But I'll try that tommorow (now it's too late, about 10 p.m. here)

Offline Fidchell

• Fidchell has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »
disable_autosave 1

Try that.

Offline TheMann25

• TheMann25 has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
disable_autosave 1

Try that.

This is what I used to do before I changed my graphics card to a better one.
This is a catchy signature.

Offline Fidchell

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
disable_autosave 1

Try that.

This is what I used to do before I changed my graphics card to a better one.

I have quite a good rig that has lasted me a long while and SMOD continued to crash (until I used this cvar), so...

Offline Pangia

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
disable_autosave 1

Try that.
OK, that's much easier than the former one, gonna check this out :)
Thanks y'all for help, I really appreciate this. I hope I'll now pass Water Hazard chapter ;)

EDIT: OK, that did the trick, no more problems with saves! Thanks, rep added ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:07:47 PM by Pangia »

Offline Fidchell

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
disable_autosave 1

Try that.
OK, that's much easier than the former one, gonna check this out :)
Thanks y'all for help, I really appreciate this. I hope I'll now pass Water Hazard chapter ;)

EDIT: OK, that did the trick, no more problems with saves! Thanks, rep added ;)

Just remember to quicksave often! :D

Offline Pangia

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
Yea, few hours ago I died in Ravenholm on that laser-thing and I started back before fight with hunter-chopper in Water Hazard :-\ But hell, SMOD is worthing it :D

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
On a very related note I have runned into the "save/restore overflow!" problem in ravenholm lately, and this is seems to have been a problem for someone before who played smod unmodded. What causes this? Can I prevent it? As it is currently at some point in d1_town_01 all saves from that point and onwards will have thousands copies of the line "save/restore overflow!" in the console.

This not only causes saves on the map to crash, but further progress. Basically, it's a gamebreaker.

Offline Fidchell

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:36 PM »
On a very related note I have runned into the "save/restore overflow!" problem in ravenholm lately, and this is seems to have been a problem for someone before who played smod unmodded. What causes this? Can I prevent it? As it is currently at some point in d1_town_01 all saves from that point and onwards will have thousands copies of the line "save/restore overflow!" in the console.

This not only causes saves on the map to crash, but further progress. Basically, it's a gamebreaker.

I've also had this problem, but it was a long time ago. What have you tried already? Did you try opening the map through the console on its own?

Offline Troggy Hordesman

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
I have tried to disable autosaves, as I thought it might be related with the autosaving spots (atleast, the bug seems to activate after the first one on the map) but this did not work. According to the one post I could find on this subject removing randomspawns does not help either, so I haven't tried doing that.

Another strange thing was that as I was searching the internet for ways to fix this, I ran into alot of gmod users getting this when using too many models on a map. Very strange.